General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 09:45 AM

Hey guys, this past sunday I raced my '95 MAXIMA in AUTOCROSS, for those who don't know what autocross is, it's ran on a flat paved area, where the cones are setup so it's fairly challenging and you just go around the track trying to get the best time. there is no bumper to bumper action, then you compare your results with cars in your group.

anyways, I went with my neighbor, he races his bmw z3 coupe, and let me tell you, it was one of the most exciting things I've done in a car. racing is so much better when you don't have to look around for cops.

the track is very technical so you have to know where you're going and exactly when to accelerate and most inportantly where to break and turn. I know it seems obvious how this is done, but trust me, it's not as easy as it looks, yeah you can blow through the course fast but you might get the cones knocked off, which is -2 sec for each one and you go go slow and not get the cones off but your time will suck. most importantly I learned is that you don't break while turning, you brake a second before turning REALLY REALLY REALLY hard and then accelerate through the turn. basically if you go in to the turn slower and come out faster is better then going into the turn fast and then die because there is nowhere to go because your car is not positioned correctly. that happened to me every time in this one spot which was designed purposely like that, to make sure that people who are not so good drivers screw up every time...arrr

but either way, it was fun. this was in mass so anybody in the area interested let me know, I'll give you the information
Old 07-11-2001, 02:02 PM

Welcome to the world of Solo II. There are a couple of us here that autocross, like me and BeJay. The great thing about it is that you can test the limits of your car (and your limits) in a safe environment.

As they say, 'Drive it like you stole it!"
Old 07-11-2001, 02:22 PM

It is a definite blast, and it's fun to watch all the other types of cars too. I've gone several times in my Altima SE's and have actually done pretty well on the local level.

I definitely recommend it to everyone -- try it, you'll like it! It's cheap, safe and more fun than straight line!
Old 07-11-2001, 02:25 PM

i'm sorry, but, what's this autocross business you speak of?
Old 07-11-2001, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
i'm sorry, but, what's this autocross business you speak of?
Old 07-11-2001, 07:19 PM

I been looking for autocross here in CT somewhere. I want to learn, It seems very fun
Old 07-11-2001, 07:30 PM

Here's a link to the Divisions and Regions page of the SCCA website.

http://www.scca.org/interactive/regions.html
Old 07-12-2001, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by sinewave
Welcome to the world of Solo II. There are a couple of us here that autocross, like me and BeJay. The great thing about it is that you can test the limits of your car (and your limits) in a safe environment.

As they say, 'Drive it like you stole it!"
yeah, autocross is awesome, I already convinced one of the local guys w/ 97 max se stick to do it w/ me, don't remember his maxima.org name, but his real name is Greg, because one of the top guys said that he never seems maxima on the course, so now we'll start the maxima autocrossing.

and how do you guys like the scca races? how many times do you guys actually run? and how long do you have to stay there? at the bmw we ran 6 times and at the end I had a joy ride on the bmw track.

Konstantin