General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is there really pride in rebadging? (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 08:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was over at the CL forum today, and those guys really have pride in driving an Acura (not a Honda, heaven forbid). Things like "man, this is an Acura, not some lowly common-man Nissan" are common there. I really don't understand this concept. Infiniti owners, do you guys feel an extra sense of pride over owning a Nissan? The CL is mostly Accord under the skin, yet those guys make sure they never forget that it's an Acura above all. This despite the fact that most of the TL or CL can be had as an Accord V6 for thousands less. The exceptions are cars like the IS300, SC430, or the Q45, which are just great in their own right, whether it be as a Toyota or Lexus. The only real advantage I could see to having a premium brand for a very similar car to one offered at a far lower price is the extra luxury features and better dealer service (for the most part). This isn't cause to have the attitude I see in some owners though. Infiniti owners, be honest here. Do you feel an extra sense of pride over us common Nissan drivers? Just curious, this thread isn't meant to be mean-spirited at all.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:06 AM

sounds like they have an inferiority complex. rebadged hondas! I should ask them "have you heard about torque?, its good"
Old 07-05-2001, 09:29 AM

We just put an Acura TL-S in the garage next to our 2K Max SE and QX-4. Sure, it's nicer than any Accord you'll find out there, but no, we don't really have an attitude about driving an Acura vs. a Honda.

All you need to do is look around the car, and you'll see the name "Honda" all over - glass, engine compartment, door labels, etc.

When I ask the wife what car she's driving, she'll reply "the truck" or the "Honda". Maybe some folks are enamored with the fancy badge, but not at my house. We mostly bought the TLS because she wanted a Honda, and I wanted 260HP.

My $0.02.

Chris
Old 07-05-2001, 11:04 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i don't know about all that....

Originally posted by Weasel
I was over at the CL forum today, and those guys really have pride in driving an Acura (not a Honda, heaven forbid). Things like "man, this is an Acura, not some lowly common-man Nissan" are common there. I really don't understand this concept. Infiniti owners, do you guys feel an extra sense of pride over owning a Nissan? The CL is mostly Accord under the skin, yet those guys make sure they never forget that it's an Acura above all. This despite the fact that most of the TL or CL can be had as an Accord V6 for thousands less. The exceptions are cars like the IS300, SC430, or the Q45, which are just great in their own right, whether it be as a Toyota or Lexus. The only real advantage I could see to having a premium brand for a very similar car to one offered at a far lower price is the extra luxury features and better dealer service (for the most part). This isn't cause to have the attitude I see in some owners though. Infiniti owners, be honest here. Do you feel an extra sense of pride over us common Nissan drivers? Just curious, this thread isn't meant to be mean-spirited at all.

But I rather tell people I have a Lexus then a Toyota
Get my drift?

It is pretty stupid though, I agree. Everything is about status though, it just makes people feel good knowing they own an Acura instead of a Honda, when it's the same ****.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:06 AM

Hey Weasel, the funny thing is that the IS300 and the Q45 are sold as a Toyota and a Nissan outside North America. Acura owners seem to be much worse with the superiority complex than Lexus or Infinit owners are. Lord only knows why.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:06 AM

Re: i don't know about all that....

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

But I rather tell people I have a Lexus then a Toyota
Get my drift?
I get you there, I just wouldn't understand, say, an ES300 owner looking down on the family Camry.
Old 07-05-2001, 12:17 PM

I used to work at a grocery store and we loved to have fun with the old ladies driving luxo rebadged cars. One time I was taking bags out for some lady and told her she had a nice Toyota, she promptly corrected me and told me that it was in fact a Lexus. She wouldn't believe me that they were the same brand until I showed her where it says Toyota on the windows.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Hey Weasel, the funny thing is that the IS300 and the Q45 are sold as a Toyota and a Nissan outside North America. Acura owners seem to be much worse with the superiority complex than Lexus or Infinit owners are. Lord only knows why.
I know, this concept seems to be uniquely American. I would want an Altezza or Cima just as much as an IS300 or a Q45, the name doesn't matter. Guess Americans are just odd that way.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:11 PM

i would definately consider a TL/I30 more luxurious than an accord/maxima.. to those cars yea id definately say they are more luxurious and a cut above with the luxury image, (tho i think the i30 isnt really great of a deal, but i think the tls is)
however, the really funny guys are the ghettod "luxury car" guys, ex G20 and Integra people..that think that they are rich *** ***** because they could lease or buy a used infiniti/acura that costs less than an accord/max.. i dont really have anything against any cars but if you look at the interior of a g20 or an integra id think el cheapo right away, quite honestly i think the max interior is pretty damn good for the money
Old 07-05-2001, 01:24 PM

One thing is that the rebadged Infiniti models such as G20 (Sentra) and I30 (Maxima) are virtually identical to their Nissan counterparts. With Lexus, the ES is different from the Camry in more ways (different engine, suspension, styling, etc..). With the TL, it is built on a stretched Accord platform. Yes, it is based on an Accord, but it is not identical to an Accord. The G20 is a Sentra, and the I30 is a Maxima.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.
One thing is that the rebadged Infiniti models such as G20 (Sentra) and I30 (Maxima) are virtually identical to their Nissan counterparts. With Lexus, the ES is different from the Camry in more ways (different engine, suspension, styling, etc..). With the TL, it is built on a stretched Accord platform. Yes, it is based on an Accord, but it is not identical to an Accord. The G20 is a Sentra, and the I30 is a Maxima.
I know it's not quite as blatant as those cars, I just think the CL/TL is a little too close to an Accord for those guys to have such an attitude.
Old 07-05-2001, 05:08 PM

To answer your question, no!

Both my Acura Legend and Integra Type-R were rebadged from Acura to the red Honda Emblem! This is because I feel more like in a Japanese origin car with the Honda on it. Too bad the RSX is coming out soon, or else I would get those JDM bumper for my ITR.

And heck, if you goto Japan and ask a guy what the hell Lexus are, he is going to get scrwed because no one knows what Lexus are in Japan. Even the name Lexus is an American actress' name.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:32 PM

I30t

I can't speak for Acura and Lexus owners. Maybe they feel disconnected from their Honda and Toyota peers. But as an Infiniti owner, I feel very connected to Nissan owners.

Before leasing my I30t, I also looked into the Maxima SEAE. I ended up going with the I30t because the Infiniti dealership's lease offer on a loaded I30t matched the loaded SEAE I was considering. I couldn't resist getting an I30t for the same price per month as a Maxima SEAE. Prior to walking into the Infiniti dealership, I would have never guessed I could afford a base I30, let alone a loaded I30t. Contrary to what someone said about, the I30t seems like an incredible deal. Infiniti seems to be selling low whereas Nissan is trying to sell those AEs with some hefty mark-ups.

I love the Maxima. My wife has one (a '97 GXE) and I read these message boards frequently. In fact, since Infiniti doesn't have a dedicated forum (aside from the relatively low-traffic one on FreshAlloy), I've often wondered if Maxima.org will ever have an I30/I35 forum.

I often catch myself beside a Maxima at a stop light, looking over, and indicating "Nice car" to the driver. I think they feel the same thing about the I30t. I think there's a lot more mutual respect between Maxima and I30 owners than Acura and Honda owners.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:41 PM

Re: I30t

Originally posted by tmds
I can't speak for Acura and Lexus owners. Maybe they feel disconnected from their Honda and Toyota peers. But as an Infiniti owner, I feel very connected to Nissan owners.

Before leasing my I30t, I also looked into the Maxima SEAE. I ended up going with the I30t because the Infiniti dealership's lease offer on a loaded I30t matched the loaded SEAE I was considering. I couldn't resist getting an I30t for the same price per month as a Maxima SEAE. Prior to walking into the Infiniti dealership, I would have never guessed I could afford a base I30, let alone a loaded I30t. Contrary to what someone said about, the I30t seems like an incredible deal. Infiniti seems to be selling low whereas Nissan is trying to sell those AEs with some hefty mark-ups.

I love the Maxima. My wife has one (a '97 GXE) and I read these message boards frequently. In fact, since Infiniti doesn't have a dedicated forum (aside from the relatively low-traffic one on FreshAlloy), I've often wondered if Maxima.org will ever have an I30/I35 forum.

I often catch myself beside a Maxima at a stop light, looking over, and indicating "Nice car" to the driver. I think they feel the same thing about the I30t. I think there's a lot more mutual respect between Maxima and I30 owners than Acura and Honda owners.
Infiniti is just a market scheme! It is just a pure Nissan, which was made in Nissan by Nissan, but have an Infiniti badge on it. So are HOnda-Acura and Lexus-Toyota.

But those rebadgers just seems appeal more for rappers to use them in their low cost MTV.
Old 07-05-2001, 08:32 PM

Infiniti is superior to all other cars! I am the best!

I have a 2000 I30 and feel that I am better than everyone else especially those with the poor man's car the Maxima....

Ha Ha Kidding!

I use to own a '95 Max and was looking for a new car in 2000 with leather, nice wheels etc. I would have gotten a new Max, but it just so happened that I liked the body style of the 2000 I30. I consider the Max and the I30 "brothers" and just varieties of the same great car! Getting the I30 had nothing to do with trying to show off "status".
Old 07-05-2001, 09:33 PM

accord=tl
es300=camry
max=i30

have you heard of "benz,bmw,lexus"
you dont see acura, and infiniti, why? cause brand name does count even if the cars are the same.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:50 PM

People in Japan DO know what Lexus is, and just like Acura boys here put honda eblems on, its not uncommon to see a few people put Lexus on their Toyotas in Japan. The "import" is cooler.

This may also be why you see, or at least I do, many Asian people/1st generation Americans driving Ford and so on, because its different then what your used to.

As far as an Infiniti owner, I don't feel above Nissan owners and also bought the car because it was the same deal as a SE Maxima, butlooked better to me and had more features, and yes their is a bit more pride in saying you drive an Infiniti, then a Nissan, though I would buy another nissan.
Old 07-05-2001, 10:25 PM

not fair

*sigh*
Old 07-05-2001, 10:39 PM

my mom got the tl over the accord for the main reason that it has xenon headlights and not for brand recognition since she needs as much illumination as possible at night time and its the cheapest car you can buy that comes with HID.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:42 PM
Former Sponsor

well i tihnk the infiniti G20 is the most hilarious
in asia its the Nissan Primera... one of the cheapest cars around... and yes stuck with the same horrible SR20DE 140hp engine...
and with mercedes? they sell a van called the V280... its a frickin european delivery van for goodness sakes... and people in Asia treat it like its the best

hmmm another reason for luxury brands... so the dealers that service Q45s and I30s dont have to show the same courtesy to Sentra and Maxima owners...
same with lexus... LS400 and Tercel serviced in the same dealer with the same respect?! ohhhh no! lil toyota boi you go wait in line...
it saves em alot of money!
Old 07-06-2001, 12:03 AM

People in Japan DO know what Lexus is, and just like Acura boys here put honda eblems on, its not uncommon to see a few people put Lexus on their Toyotas in Japan. The "import" is cooler.

This may also be why you see, or at least I do, many Asian people/1st generation Americans driving Ford and so on, because its different then what your used to.

As far as an Infiniti owner, I don't feel above Nissan owners and also bought the car because it was the same deal as a SE Maxima, butlooked better to me and had more features, and yes their is a bit more pride in saying you drive an Infiniti, then a Nissan, though I would buy another nissan.
Old 07-06-2001, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
accord=tl
es300=camry
max=i30

have you heard of "benz,bmw,lexus"
you dont see acura, and infiniti, why? cause brand name does count even if the cars are the same.
so why cant i say
---
have you heard of "benz,bmw,infiniti"
you dont see lexus, why ? cause brand name does count even if the cars are the same.
--
Old 07-06-2001, 01:19 AM

This is a reason Infiniti is moving its product line away from Nissans. There will be no G20 Next Year. Nissan Does not have a Q45 like car, and it will also not have a G35, so thats just the start. More of a move to its own product line will help its brand.
Old 07-06-2001, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

yea i just realized how right you are about the'import' idea

overseas in a place like Taiwan people buy American cars like the Buick Century, Chevy Cavalier, Ford Taurus... when Japanese cars are alot cheaper... the sickest thing i saw was this guy who imported an old Ford F350 Diesel Crewcab.... and drives it around with a cowboy hat!! hahaha
Old 07-06-2001, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by TexMaximum
This is a reason Infiniti is moving its product line away from Nissans. There will be no G20 Next Year. Nissan Does not have a Q45 like car, and it will also not have a G35, so thats just the start. More of a move to its own product line will help its brand.
Once Infiniti gets all its own models, it will be something to respect more than now. Lexus is going this way, and people tend to respect Lexus more than Infiniti already. I don't see Acura doing anything like that soon though. Why is the Integra/RSX an Acura? I would think it wouldn't matter what name they sold that car under.
Old 07-06-2001, 11:43 AM

my two cents

in my own a lot of people just go for the brand name pretty much....what i've noticed since i got married to chinese guy is that a lot of our friends tend to go for acuras and hondas (the richer owning the best in that brand). Lord knows they wouldn't be caught dead in a geo or a neon. My friend had a chance to buy a benz....and what did he buy instead? a 2000 civic! whatever their reasons are, i think they shouldn't judge people by what car they drive. I have a civic and i'm proud of it. A lot of people look down on us Honda owners but it's all good. The way I make myself feel better when i miss my husband's maxima is that....when it's done and i hit the streets i'd smoke half the cars out there....which our 2k max failed to do

=)
Old 07-06-2001, 05:47 PM
Former Sponsor

my dad knows this guy who was given a Benz S600... and sold it... and got a '95 Dodge Intrepid... which he still drives... one of the most successful businessmen in the Central Valley... my dad himself in Asia drives a damned Ford equivalent Mazda Protege...
its true, alot of the richest people give up the status for practicality... and it makes alot of sense
Old 07-06-2001, 10:55 PM

Once Infiniti gets all its own models, it will be something to respect more than now. Lexus is going this way, and people tend to respect Lexus more than Infiniti already. I don't see Acura doing anything like that soon though. Why is the Integra/RSX an Acura? I would think it wouldn't matter what name they sold that car under.
Lexus is going this way with the LS430, GS series, SC430 and the IS300 but still have plenty of cars that are twinned to cheaper Toyotas, LX470 = Land Cruiser, ES300=Camry, RX300 = Highlander. Its also funny how the LS430, SC430, and the RX300 all look like mercedes products that came out before them, S-Class, SLK, M-Class.

Acura has 4 unique cars = NSX, RL, MDX, RSX
The only one that's twinned is the TL.

The Integra/RSX is an Acura because there's a Honda that shares that platform, and that Honda is the Prelude.
Old 07-07-2001, 09:13 AM

Infinity has way better dealer service though. My dad owned a 96 Q45 and everytime it was taken to the dealer, wether it be an oil change or a windshield replacement it was washed, waxed, and vacummed regardless. Also everytime he dropped it off they gave him a loaner I30 for free!!! Try finding a Nissan dealer that will do that. I work at a Nissan dealer and YEAH RIGHT. Also Infinity invites its customers to things such as unveilings of new cars, breakfests for these unveilings and test drives way before the new car actually comes out. Its just a whole different attitude at the Infinity dealer compared to Nissan. At nissan your buying an economical car where as Infinity they are also selling you the name. Just my personal experience.
Old 07-07-2001, 09:53 AM

Its the Honda rice rockets that make Acura owners embarresed of Honda
Old 07-07-2001, 10:01 AM

isn't the RSX just a luxo 2dr civic...it looks alot like one
Old 07-07-2001, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by playas33
isn't the RSX just a luxo 2dr civic...it looks alot like one
nah, the rsx's platform will be the same platform for the new prelude.
Old 07-07-2001, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.

BUT the current G20 is much less a sentra than the I30 is a maxima. The interior and exterior and internals are the same on the i30-maxima. However, with the g30, the internals(frame/engine/tranny) are the sentra, but everything else is different. Body pannels, interior, front suspension are all 100% different than the sentra, both pre 2000 and post.

Mike S.

ps- The g35 IS a nissan. Its a skyline, but nissan isn't going to bring it over in their line up so it will like a completely diffent car to the genral public. Only us 5000 idiots here will know.