General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

alright need some help here guys.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

alright need some help here guys.......

ok, so here's the deal. I have a '98 Maxima gxe auto. I would really love to have a newer, sportier, manual tranny car. The max has 163k miles on it and I just had a used tranny put in 1k miles ago. The used tranny has about 70k miles on it. It works great. The struts need to be replaced, I need new tires and better quality rims. The engine is still bullet proof.

So here's where I need help......I have the option of dumping around 2k into the max. This would include all new struts (possibly a performance suspension set) better grade tires and new rims and then other things here and there. OR I can sell it and get something newer. I absolutely hate the color of my maxima, and the interior color and the fact that it's auto. I get annoyed with it. But it's still an awesome car, it just needs some work. Now the thing holding me back from gettin a newer car is my job. I work for a pizza place. I do everything. Mostly delivery driving and I work about 50-55 hours a week. So I would only be packin on the miles if I got a newer vehicle.

I don't know, I need some direction here. Help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 06-30-2006, 07:20 AM

5 speed swap and dont look back!!
Old 07-01-2006, 07:34 AM

No point in spending good money to get a nice car that you'll use for work. Save your money for a nice project/weekend car. For the time being, just put the bare minimum into your current car to keep it running. In fact, the sadder your car looks, the more tips you may rake in. Plus, the more you despise your work car, the more you'll appreciate and enjoy your other car once you get it.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:42 AM

second that. pick up another 4th gen and do the "ol3.5/5spd swap" and keep ur car as a work/daily driver.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:48 AM

depending on how much longer you plan on keeping your car can help to determine how much to really put into your car.

If you know in a year you'll probably buy something else, then I'm sure there are many you can buy fully functional stock suspension from for cheap and put on your car. A decent set of economy tires will last a good while.

If you know you'll keep the car till the doors fall off, then maybe look for a nice aftermarket suspension setup, get some quality wheels and tires, and do a good deecnt tune up and keep going. You could 5-speed swap or keep and eye out if anyone is selling a 5-speed in your area and you can buy for $2k. Then swap parts and sell your current.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:13 AM

thanks guys for the input. I think I might just go ahead and find another max 5spd and use that as a weekend cruzer. That'll leave me with enough money to still be able to fix up my current max. Then I'll just continue to pack the miles on it. Insurance isn't bad at all for me on the maxima. I'm still under my parents plan and it'll be that way for a while. thanks again.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:22 AM

www.ebaymotors.com
www.auto-trader.com

also check the papers, you should come across a 5spd for around $2k but it will probably need some repairs itself. Unless you just come across someone who just wants to get rid of it and its in decent shape.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:32 PM

Save your cash up. If you change jobs and start doing less driving you could get a different ride.