General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

"Nissan's Hot Streak Loses Steam" from Automotive News

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:56 PM

"Nissan's Hot Streak Loses Steam" from Automotive News

Nissan's hot streak loses steam
by Lindsay Chappell
Automotive News | 6:00 am, June 26, 2006

NASHVILLE -- Suddenly, Carlos Ghosn's six-year winning streak is looking shaky.

Last year he successfully concluded an ambitious three-year plan to add 1 million sales globally and post operating profits equal to 8 percent of global revenues.

But in May, U.S. sales fell 7.3 percent for Nissan North America Inc., including an 11.7 percent drop at Infiniti Division.

The company has scheduled six extra days of production shutdown at its two big U.S. factories, in Smyrna, Tenn., and Canton, Miss., to prevent inventories from bloating. This month, the Japanese home office also trimmed daily production at two factories there, one of which assembles the Infiniti G35, M45 and Q45 for North America.

Nowadays, Nissan looks more like a cyclical Western company than the quintessential Japanese corporation, Toyota Motor Corp., which reveres relentless, incremental growth.

To complicate things, Nissan has had to halt the global sale of some 2006 four-cylinder Altimas and Sentra SE-Rs built from January through mid-May of this year because of evidence of engine fires.

Ghosn, who began crafting Nissan's revival in 1999, brushed aside criticism that the company was in a slump.

"You can't judge Nissan's long-term strategy by a three- or six-month period," he said of the current situation. "You have to look at five or six years."

Speaking to reporters in Nashville this month as he broke ground for a Nissan headquarters building, Ghosn said that Nissan expected only stable U.S. sales in the first half of 2006. The second half, he said, will see a stream of new sales.

"As for sales being down," Ghosn said, "look at the product plan." During the rest of this year, Nissan says it will launch nine new or redesigned vehicles worldwide.

In the pipeline

In the next six months, Nissan's U.S. retailers will receive a redesigned Sentra and Altima. They also will get an Altima hybrid, the new Versa small car from Mexico and the re-engineered Quest minivan. Those products alone should represent half of the brand's annual U.S. sales volume next year.

But until then, Nissan's new management team will have its hands full. On July 1, a slate of new senior managers will begin taking control in Nashville as the company relocates its offices from Gardena, Calif.

Ghosn ordered the move to Nashville to save money. But only 42 percent of the 1,300 staffers decided to move, causing considerable disruption.

Among them: Brad Bradshaw, senior vice president for North American sales and marketing; Bill Bosley, vice president and general manager for Nissan Division; and Larry Dominique, vice president of product development.

In addition to launching the new products, they must deal with a few other models that have slipped this year. Nissan's foray into large trucks, another leg in Ghosn's revival of the company, has been bedeviled by falling market demand for vehicles with big engines.

Sales of the full-sized Titan pickup were off 23.2 percent in May compared with May 2005, and the full-sized Armada SUV is down by 30.2 percent. June began with 100-day supplies of both trucks.

Worse elsewhere

Other auto brands are facing worse concerns. While Nissan Division sales are down by a modest 1.8 percent this year, Chevrolet is down by 8.7 percent and Mitsubishi by 12.3 percent. Ford Motor Co., whose F-series trucks are the target for the Titan and a newly designed Toyota Tundra due out this fall, has a 104-day supply of those trucks. The Chrysler group is sitting on a 125-day supply of its Dodge Ram pickup.

In the same vein, Nissan's U.S. challenges are milder than those in its home market. Nissan's Japanese sales plunged 18.5 percent in April. Ghosn's COO in Japan, Toshiyuki Shiga, said earlier this month that the sales dip was a "backlash" from last year's sales push.

"We totally expected a backlash, but the decline exceeded our expectations," he said.

Asked whether Nissan's targets under the 180 plan, which ended March 31, 2005, might have pulled ahead U.S. sales from the current year, Ghosn gave an adamant "no."

"We added 1 million sales," while maintaining excellent profit margins, he said, referring to the target of his 180 plan. "We didn't give away any sales."

You may e-mail Lindsay Chappell at lchappell@crain.com
Old 06-26-2006, 01:03 AM

Once again, when quoting stats, reliability and validity are needed. 7.3% drop, 11.7% drop, relative to what? One needs to do no more than use common sense to put it in real terms. What Nissan product is the best in its respective class? What Nissan product is on the C&D 10 Best list? What Nissan product sells without a heavy discount? What Nissan product can the salesperson be arrogant about and say take it or leave it? People are putting money down now for Camry SE's and XLE's, sight-unseen, with no discussion on price. It's like a frenzy trying to get one. Kinda dumb if you ask me, but one can't argue with success.

My sister in-law just went shopping for a reliable and fun Japanese car. Needless to say they didn't stop at any Nissan dealers. Demographically, she's in the 25-30 crowd. Wound up with a 2k6 TSX. A C&D 10 Best, and from what they describe, it was like pulling teeth trying to get 2k off list.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 AM
www.autotalk.com

I came across something similar - Nissan's Auto Output Fell 11% in May on Sales Drop
Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 AM

I'll hold judgement until I see how Nissan's redesigns fare.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Pulling teeth to get 2K off list for a TSX ? I dunno where you from, but here in IL they will sell you ANY Acura for invoice.

Versa will be be build in mexico eh ? well there goes my plan on possibly even looking at one for my woman.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Pulling teeth to get 2K off list for a TSX ? I dunno where you from, but here in IL they will sell you ANY Acura for invoice.

Versa will be be build in mexico eh ? well there goes my plan on possibly even looking at one for my woman.
Can you get a new Camry at or below invoice too? How about a BMW? These are all cars in demand as are Acuras.

Frankly, I doubt it as well on the Acuras, without hidden charges to the upside. But just to put what you say into perspective, invoice is 2,400 off list. So 2 grand is 400 over invoice. My bro and his wife got it, and it was like pulling teeth. They walked out of one place, and only when they got up to leave did they get it at the 2nd place. We all know about holdback, so invoice on a Nissan, GM or Ford is nothing to write home about. But no Nissan is on the C&D Ten Best list either, never will be. 350 tanked after just one year.

I find Edmunds TMV to be pretty much in the ballpark. Not only does Edmunds not back up what you say for IL, but it says there is a $149 regional adjustment upwards in IL which comes in at $1100 over invoice. If you do the math from above, $1300 off list. I gotta say it, even though this is the internet, I just hate false information, always will.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/acura/tsx/index.html.

In PA, you will see in the newspaper brand new Hyundai Sonatas for about 10k. If you want to say newspapers can't lie, well, all I can say is try to buy the car for 10k. I'd buy one at that price for a spare car. First of all, there is a college grad discount, loyalty rebate, must finance through them for 10%, 5k downpayment, etc. That's how they advertise 10k with the VIN number in the newspaper. When a person is done it's easily over 18k, no bargain at all.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The four-cylinder trouble is a big time issue. That is probably 60%+ of the cars they sell. "excessive oil consumption.....could experience engine damage or, in extreme cases, an engine fire. " Fixing those 97,000 cars is $$$$. Those customers must visit dealer every 700 miles to monitor engine or replace it. Dealers were ordered to stop selling 4-cyl a month ago. Lost sales. After a while, the word gets around that Nissan has a lot of recalls. Time for a new CEO.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:44 PM
dko
duck and cover

no, time to stop building cars in the US or hire better workers as well as quality control. how many problems have cropped up on recent nissans? it started with MAF problems on the 5th gen max's and new altimas, then rotors and now this.

the older nissans had some problems but they were mostly an alternator problem 5 years after manufacture or an o2 problem. only lately are there problems like this.

that being said, i think nissan will rebound once the GT-R comes out. a sweet halo car can do wonders for a company. just look at how much attention the 350z brought to nissan and its cars.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:42 PM

Yeah, Nissans older cars where defientley better than what is being produced now. I remember when the 6th generation Maximas came out, they where filled with problems. Nissan definetley has some quality control problems. Im on my second Nissan now, both being maximas, and as much as I love Nissan and the maxima, I think ill be going with a hybrid for gas mileage and to do my part in helping with the climate crisis. But thats when my 5.5 gen turns at least 150,000 which could take awhile.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 97Se5spd
I think ill be going with a hybrid for gas mileage and to do my part in helping with the climate crisis.
If you think that human activity is responsible for the slight increase in temperatures in parts of the world, I have some bridges to sell you.

"Hottest temps in 2 K years !" Well 2 K years ago what "greenhouse gases" were being produced by humans? It's all a plot to take away our beloved cars and our good economy. Don't buy it. There are normal fluctuations in global temps and they have occured since the world began. In 10 years or less "they" will be warning of some other "chrisis."
Old 06-27-2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
If you think that human activity is responsible for the slight increase in temperatures in parts of the world, I have some bridges to sell you.

"Hottest temps in 2 K years !" Well 2 K years ago what "greenhouse gases" were being produced by humans? It's all a plot to take away our beloved cars and our good economy. Don't buy it. There are normal fluctuations in global temps and they have occured since the world began. In 10 years or less "they" will be warning of some other "chrisis."
I so agree with this!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:00 AM

I am no expert in business economics but as any Engineer working in the automotive industry (that works with Nissan) will tell you that as far as quality goes, Nissan isnt what it used to be in the mid to late 90s.

Nissan has started giving out its engineering functions to its suppliers (US models) similar to Ford giving TRW a free ride to design the parts as it wishes.

While Honda and toyota maitain strict control over design and all aspects of manufacturing, Nissan is all about saving money. The drastic cost cuts and handing the engineering to suppliers have started to show results over the years.

Nissan did hire a bunch of the GM engineers and I assume thats gonna make things even worse with engineered quality.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:13 AM

Nissan's hot streak loses steam
by Lindsay Chappell
Automotive News | 6:00 am, June 26, 2006

NASHVILLE -- Suddenly, Carlos Ghosn's six-year winning streak is looking shaky.

Last year he successfully concluded an ambitious three-year plan to add 1 million sales globally and post operating profits equal to 8 percent of global revenues.

But in May, U.S. sales fell 7.3 percent for Nissan North America Inc., including an 11.7 percent drop at Infiniti Division.

The company has scheduled six extra days of production shutdown at its two big U.S. factories, in Smyrna, Tenn., and Canton, Miss., to prevent inventories from bloating. This month, the Japanese home office also trimmed daily production at two factories there, one of which assembles the Infiniti G35, M45 and Q45 for North America.

Nowadays, Nissan looks more like a cyclical Western company than the quintessential Japanese corporation, Toyota Motor Corp., which reveres relentless, incremental growth.

To complicate things, Nissan has had to halt the global sale of some 2006 four-cylinder Altimas and Sentra SE-Rs built from January through mid-May of this year because of evidence of engine fires.

Ghosn, who began crafting Nissan's revival in 1999, brushed aside criticism that the company was in a slump.

"You can't judge Nissan's long-term strategy by a three- or six-month period," he said of the current situation. "You have to look at five or six years."

Speaking to reporters in Nashville this month as he broke ground for a Nissan headquarters building, Ghosn said that Nissan expected only stable U.S. sales in the first half of 2006. The second half, he said, will see a stream of new sales.

"As for sales being down," Ghosn said, "look at the product plan." During the rest of this year, Nissan says it will launch nine new or redesigned vehicles worldwide.

In the pipeline

In the next six months, Nissan's U.S. retailers will receive a redesigned Sentra and Altima. They also will get an Altima hybrid, the new Versa small car from Mexico and the re-engineered Quest minivan. Those products alone should represent half of the brand's annual U.S. sales volume next year.

But until then, Nissan's new management team will have its hands full. On July 1, a slate of new senior managers will begin taking control in Nashville as the company relocates its offices from Gardena, Calif.

Ghosn ordered the move to Nashville to save money. But only 42 percent of the 1,300 staffers decided to move, causing considerable disruption.

Among them: Brad Bradshaw, senior vice president for North American sales and marketing; Bill Bosley, vice president and general manager for Nissan Division; and Larry Dominique, vice president of product development.

In addition to launching the new products, they must deal with a few other models that have slipped this year. Nissan's foray into large trucks, another leg in Ghosn's revival of the company, has been bedeviled by falling market demand for vehicles with big engines.

Sales of the full-sized Titan pickup were off 23.2 percent in May compared with May 2005, and the full-sized Armada SUV is down by 30.2 percent. June began with 100-day supplies of both trucks.

Worse elsewhere

Other auto brands are facing worse concerns. While Nissan Division sales are down by a modest 1.8 percent this year, Chevrolet is down by 8.7 percent and Mitsubishi by 12.3 percent. Ford Motor Co., whose F-series trucks are the target for the Titan and a newly designed Toyota Tundra due out this fall, has a 104-day supply of those trucks. The Chrysler group is sitting on a 125-day supply of its Dodge Ram pickup.

In the same vein, Nissan's U.S. challenges are milder than those in its home market. Nissan's Japanese sales plunged 18.5 percent in April. Ghosn's COO in Japan, Toshiyuki Shiga, said earlier this month that the sales dip was a "backlash" from last year's sales push.

"We totally expected a backlash, but the decline exceeded our expectations," he said.

Asked whether Nissan's targets under the 180 plan, which ended March 31, 2005, might have pulled ahead U.S. sales from the current year, Ghosn gave an adamant "no."

"We added 1 million sales," while maintaining excellent profit margins, he said, referring to the target of his 180 plan. "We didn't give away any sales."

You may e-mail Lindsay Chappell at lchappell@crain.com
We shouldn't be worried about Nissan too much.Yes quality control and engineering have faltered recently in comparison to older models, which is honestly just one more reason to keep my 4th gen 'till the wheels fall off ( a genuine concern on a new Nissan ) , but look at Ford and GM . Those are the companies facing 2/3 month inventory backlogs....and , BTW, are not just idling car plants, but shutting them down entirely to stay in the black.
And Mitusbishi? They REALLY can't afford an 18 % downturn.......

The bottom line is that no one's perfect, and Carlos Ghosn is only human. People make mistakes . But unlike GM where screwups are but expected,the media has been looking for a hole in Ghosn's armor ever since he turned around Nissan . Lets keep in mind the fact that , problems aside, without his "cost-cutting" actions Nissan would have been history before there ever could be a six-gen Maxima.

At least Nissan is facing up to their issues vs the GM/Ford approach : "Its only SMALL CLAIMS COURT...."
Old 06-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

It's real simple stop designing UGLY cars. Bring back the Powerhouse cars. If I buy any other nissan it would be a 350z or a titan.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:20 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
It's real simple stop designing UGLY cars. Bring back the Powerhouse cars. If I buy any other nissan it would be a 350z or a titan.
i think if they paid attention to what people do to their cars aftermarket they would improve the looks stock (e.g. get rid of that FUGLY grille scheme)
Old 06-27-2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ArcticW
The bottom line is that no one's perfect, and Carlos Ghosn is only human. People make mistakes . But unlike GM where screwups are but expected,the media has been looking for a hole in Ghosn's armor ever since he turned around Nissan . Lets keep in mind the fact that , problems aside, without his "cost-cutting" actions Nissan would have been history before there ever could be a six-gen Maxima.

At least Nissan is facing up to their issues vs the GM/Ford approach : "Its only SMALL CLAIMS COURT...."
Wow, no one's perfect? When it's my nickel, I'll spend it as wisely as possible. Yes, once in a while we simply want what we want and we overspend (as in buying a German car). German cars don't offer the value that Honda, Toyota, or Acuras do. They don't have the horsepower, or even fancy electronics. Just over-the-top handling. And prestige--it's not a dirty word. What does an Ivy League graduate degree offer over a state school education? Nothing as far as sheer knowledge. Prestige and connections, and higher starting salary. Nissan is like a community college that's soon to be un-accredited!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:30 PM
dko
duck and cover

at least it's like hyundai, which i guess would be like a correspondance GED school
Old 06-27-2006, 02:50 PM

Hyundai has come a long way since the 80s, I used to work for Hyundai as a tech while back (it was a Hyundai, Isuzu, Suzuki, Subaru dealership) and we made the most $$$ on Hyundais actually. People get this idea that cheap cars are bought by cheap people. But people actually maintained it pretty well, and since their cars had 10 year powertrain warranties they would bring it in as soon as something was acting up. With Lexus' and Acura's for example, we get people buying these things used and they buy it for the "image". They have NO $$$ to pay for any repairs, and they drive around for a long time with that check engine light on, or what not. Till they are required by the state to fix it so they can pass their emission test. I mean how can you compare a 6th gen Maxima to a Hyundai Azera ?

Starting price for the LIMTIED model is 26K dollars MSRP. 263HP/255TQ 3.8L 5AT

2007 Maxima SL- starting price 30K MSRP. 255HP/252TQ 3.5L with CVT tranny only.

I sat in both cars, and Hyundai feels and almost looks like a Lexus inside. Maxima feels cheap still.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:06 PM

Hyundai has come a long way since the 80s, I used to work for Hyundai as a tech while back (it was a Hyundai, Isuzu, Suzuki, Subaru dealership) and we made the most $$$ on Hyundais actually. People get this idea that cheap cars are bought by cheap people. But people actually maintained it pretty well, and since their cars had 10 year powertrain warranties they would bring it in as soon as something was acting up. With Lexus' and Acura's for example, we get people buying these things used and they buy it for the "image". They have NO $$$ to pay for any repairs, and they drive around for a long time with that check engine light on, or what not. Till they are required by the state to fix it so they can pass their emission test. I mean how can you compare a 6th gen Maxima to a Hyundai Azera ?

Starting price for the LIMTIED model is 26K dollars MSRP. 263HP/255TQ 3.8L 5AT

2007 Maxima SL- starting price 30K MSRP. 255HP/252TQ 3.5L with CVT tranny only.

I sat in both cars, and Hyundai feels and almost looks like a Lexus inside. Maxima feels cheap still.
You make some very valid points. This is not a joke, I repeat, this is not a joke. I've heard that people who drive 8 cyl. BMWs >3 yrs. old need to set aside around $300/mo. for maintentance. i.e., it's a fund that they draw from when a repair comes along. Those who can afford these cars tend to lease--they have enough source of funds to not care that leasing is like renting. People rent apts. in NY Chinatown for 2 grand/mo. Some can argue wtf are they doing? But they need to be where they are, just like the 750iL driver needs to have that car.

I drove a brand spanking new Sonata from LA to Vegas and back. It's not as refined as a Camry or Accord, but it's way better than my 98 Maxima (should be as 8 yrs. have gone by). And it's a car that can suit the purpose for many people at a reasonable price.

That's why I wonder sometimes why any of us need a car better than a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. When one of those vehicles are purchased, it's pretty much problem free motoring, and unlike Nissan, they don't get beaten on depreciation. Honda is a joke for depreciation. My uncle had 3 generations of accords and he just went to a Volvo 8 cyl XC90. Wanna guess how he feels about it??? He'll be the first to admit he made a dumb a** move!
Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
German cars don't offer the value that Honda, Toyota, or Acuras do. They don't have the horsepower, or even fancy electronics. Just over-the-top handling. And prestige--it's not a dirty word.
well thats ur perspective...if ur talking about getting from point A to B then yes, why spend for class winning performance, safety or technology..is that all the value we expect from our cars?

I have never bought a brand new car...having said that I dont see anything wrong with getting an off lease BMW (as I did a couple of year ago). While the E39 2.8 and the Maxima are pretty similar in HP, I like both cars for different reasons,

the max is responsive(manual) light and cheap on the wallet (70K in 2.5yrs) but it's handling is crappy(stock) | The bimmer on the other hand is not as responsive at low RPMs (steptronic) but it has the M pkg so it handles like its on rails even at 100mph+ (except on ice). I am sure I dont have to mention the safety specs and/or the creature comforts.

Value: You get what you pay for and sure you can improve the handling and all the other stuff on the maxima to be better than the bimmer but then where's the resale VALUE? If you're smart you can by a BMW at the right age and the right mileage and still not take a huge hit when you try to sell it.

and you're right about the image, but c'mon can u honeslty say u dont care about the image of your ride? (this is not the Kia forum) I have been treated differently when I pull in the bimmer Vs. my 93 rusted out vigor...but thats their problem-not mine

just FYI - I am not an Ivy league grad, I busted my hump waiting tables and painting houses etc. to pay for college..
Old 06-28-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by dko
at least it's like hyundai, which i guess would be like a correspondance GED school

Yeah, back in the day, Hyundai offered Excel , and it taught us all about cylinder head failures and head gasket problems, plus as an accredited bonus we got to learn all about the lemon law....

I wont go there again. Not even if they make Ivy League status.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:01 PM

And I am sure that back when Ford started they didn't have issues with Model Ts and As breaking down..... I am also sure Toyota was a magnificant car company that was 100% trouble free since its inception in Japan.

Hyundai actually used Mitsubishi sourced engines.... if there is anyone to blame their V6s and 4 bangers- its Mitsubishi. Their old 3.0Ls where Mitsu designed, and same as the ones used in the Caravans and other 3.0L V6 Chryslers. The 2.7L motor is a derrived from a Mitsu 3.0L 24V SOHC. Just lately has Hyundai started to make their own engines.

With all that Mexican engineering put into the current Nissans.... I would have to be dropped on my head to buy anything they make. Half the engines are made in Mexico, and Sentras with Versas are built there also. Nissan started to make Sentras there for US market in 99 (I worked at Nissan in 98) model year. The ones that where build here where good, but the Mexican made ones where just garbage.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:29 PM

And I am sure that back when Ford started they didn't have issues with Model Ts and As breaking down..... I am also sure Toyota was a magnificant car company that was 100% trouble free since its inception in Japan.

Hyundai actually used Mitsubishi sourced engines.... if there is anyone to blame their V6s and 4 bangers- its Mitsubishi. Their old 3.0Ls where Mitsu designed, and same as the ones used in the Caravans and other 3.0L V6 Chryslers. The 2.7L motor is a derrived from a Mitsu 3.0L 24V SOHC. Just lately has Hyundai started to make their own engines.

With all that Mexican engineering put into the current Nissans.... I would have to be dropped on my head to buy anything they make. Half the engines are made in Mexico, and Sentras with Versas are built there also. Nissan started to make Sentras there for US market in 99 (I worked at Nissan in 98) model year. The ones that where build here where good, but the Mexican made ones where just garbage.
I'll repeat, I love my 98 SE, and I am the original owner. Getting a new car helped put things into perspective--my desire for a new car was satisfied, and then the world was still the same as was my 4th gen. I would never part with it for the $3500 that it's worth, that's a number that kbb, edmunds, and the rest of the conspiracy made up. It lacks a lot of features that a 2k6 car would come standard with today, but hey.

Hyundai builds a good car but suffers from an image problem. So does Nissan--it's definitely a 2nd tier Japanese car. Toyota and Honda are in the top. Mitsubishi is 3rd as is Mazda. Subaru tried to go from 2nd to 1st but failed. $2000 AND 0% really hurt current owners. Again, these are from an image standpoint. But what tends to follow the image is resale value. Argue all you want, kbb reflects reality $$$-wise. Nissan doesn't do well there. Even if they build a good car, they'll have a hard time competing with Toyota and Honda. My grandpa had a 1973 Toyota Corolla--in 3 yrs. on the road the front fenders rusted out. That was then.....
Old 06-28-2006, 07:11 PM

I totally agree with U, I bought my 5th gen brand spanking new with 2 miles on the Odo for 20K w/tax out the door in June of 2001. I have 155K+ miles on her and I do not regret buying it. Its been a awesome car, to drive, modify and its good on the vallet with very little problems over the years (MAFs and 4 rear wheel bearings). I still have (knock on wood) original 02 sensors and get 30-32MPG on the highway.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Ichiban King

Actually, this is partly true.. thing is its commonly believed that our cars and factories now are causing these problems. Well in reality its that we aggravate the problem with greenhouse gases. Its alas not something you can fix by buying a damn hybrid, most of the pollution occured in the heavy industrial days in the late 1800's to mid 1900's and thats what caused the most aggravation, yet its still happening. Its not all because of pollution thats for damn sure.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Apparition
Actually, this is partly true.. thing is its commonly believed that our cars and factories now are causing these problems. Well in reality its that we aggravate the problem with greenhouse gases. Its alas not something you can fix by buying a damn hybrid, most of the pollution occured in the heavy industrial days in the late 1800's to mid 1900's and thats what caused the most aggravation, yet its still happening. Its not all because of pollution thats for damn sure.
Funny how all that activity from the late 1800's has such a strong effect on LA today....
Old 06-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Funny how all that activity from the late 1800's has such a strong effect on LA today....
It all sucks, but unfortunately an individual can't do much about it.