General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

questions about warranty coverage.............

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

questions about warranty coverage.............

ok, so let's say I got a full on warranty for my car. I'm not sure what types are out there but let's just say I got their top of the line warranty. What mods can I do to my car without voiding the warranty?? Can I put rims on it? body kit or any cosmetics? is it just the engine? what about the exhaust including the headers?? please help thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 02:53 PM

Warrenty????

Originally Posted by maximilia
ok, so let's say I got a full on warranty for my car. I'm not sure what types are out there but let's just say I got their top of the line warranty. What mods can I do to my car without voiding the warranty?? Can I put rims on it? body kit or any cosmetics? is it just the engine? what about the exhaust including the headers?? please help thanks
Try asking the people who wrote the policy! Whatever they say, get it in writing, so they can't renig later! Earl
Old 06-13-2006, 03:06 PM

Your warranty will only be voided if it can be proven that your particular mod caused the failure. Now keep in mind, warranty companies operate kinda like insurance companies. They will be glad to take your money, but will be very reluctant to give you money back for a claim.
Example: Let's say you get heavy 20" rims for your car and down the road a suspension part goes bad. They can argue that those rims contributed to the failure and deny coverage. I used to work at a Nissan dealer and saw this type of crap go on all the time.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Your warranty will only be voided if it can be proven that your particular mod caused the failure. Now keep in mind, warranty companies operate kinda like insurance companies. They will be glad to take your money, but will be very reluctant to give you money back for a claim.
Example: Let's say you get heavy 20" rims for your car and down the road a suspension part goes bad. They can argue that those rims contributed to the failure and deny coverage. I used to work at a Nissan dealer and saw this type of crap go on all the time.

That's basically it. Check out the SEMA site (www.SEMA.ORG) and you'll find more info. Be careful about what mods you add to your car. If a warranty issue comes up, the provider will fight you tooth-and-nail to get out of paying you anything. If you put a K & N filter on your car and the engine blows, they'll try to blame the failure on that filter.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 PM
dko
duck and cover

i believe it is called the magnuson-moss act. basically the warranty company has to prove that the modification caused the damage or failure in question in order to deny you the coverage they are entitled to provide. HOWEVER, make sure that you carefully read the warranty paperwork, they may have a clause in there restricting what you can do. even though there is an enforcable law on the books to protect you, you will still need to argue with the insurance company damn near endlessly until you get what you are paying for.

bottom line, be prepared for headaches if you do unsafe mods and beat your car. while a warranty gives you something to fall back on, expect to fight for everything they said they'd cover.