General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: What is your feeling about radar detectors?
I have one and i love it
59.68%
I wish i had one
33.60%
Radar detector? Thats cheating just drive the speed limit
3.16%
Theyre illegal in my state
3.56%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by nasalcedo03
And what exactly is this "beam"?? To interfere it should have to be the same type of beam as that used to detect, i.e. laser (which is what I said). I think you guys are full of the marketing crap they use to sell these things. Hasn't it been shown that NONE of these jammers really work?

I think there was a MYTH BUSTERS show last week on beating speed guns. I didn't catch it, but did anyone else?

And I'm pretty sure they can't ticket you for "speeding". They have to have some kind of number to put on there. Maybe they are allowed to estimate based on their experience, but I guess that would depend.
They can give you a ticket for speeding without numbers.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Radar detectors are great so long as you don't live in VA or DC!!!
or go so fast that they dont need radar to catch you
Old 04-23-2007, 09:20 PM

I've always wanted to get a radar detector, but end up spending the money on mods for the car.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 PM
The non-postwhoring Org member

My Valentine One is the single greatest car related purchase I have ever made. It has saved me more times than I can count. Usually gives me an insane amount of warning before I come up on a cop.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:08 PM
xfrodobagginsx

What about parabolic mics?

Old 04-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by xfrodobagginsx
What about parabolic mics?
what about them?
Old 04-26-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
You're missing one answer on your ghey poll. "Radar detectors give a false sense of security."
Radar detectors are a completely useless waste of 12volts they should call them busted alarms, After I got my 98 in a 70 I removed my fuzz buster and never put my detector back in my car. Slow down and don't worry about it. It's retarded to speed anyhow, I used to speed a lot until I figured out that the time difference for my trip to-from work between drivin 45mph or 70 was something like 1 minute 45 seconds WHOPITEY DO!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by krochus
Radar detectors are a completely useless waste of 12volts they should call them busted alarms, After I got my 98 in a 70 I removed my fuzz buster and never put my detector back in my car. Slow down and don't worry about it. It's retarded to speed anyhow, I used to speed a lot until I figured out that the time difference for my trip to-from work between drivin 45mph or 70 was something like 1 minute 45 seconds WHOPITEY DO!

98 in a 70, thats almost 30 over...most people on here use it for like 10 over...
Old 04-26-2007, 07:43 PM

98 in a 70, thats almost 30 over...most people on here use it for like 10 over..
It doesn't matter how much over you're going when all the cop you didn't see has to do is push that Magic button on his console that makes your "detector" go crazy. All a detector will do is help you avoid speed traps. The mere fact that you have a detector in the car also contributes to a very false sense of invincibility to speeding tickets. Like I said I ditched mine almost 10yrs ago now and haven't gotten a ticket since.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:37 PM

It doesn't matter how much over you're going when all the cop you didn't see has to do is push that Magic button on his console that makes your "detector" go crazy. All a detector will do is help you avoid speed traps. The mere fact that you have a detector in the car also contributes to a very false sense of invincibility to speeding tickets. Like I said I ditched mine almost 10yrs ago now and haven't gotten a ticket since.
Anyone can ditch their radar and drive the limit. If i cop sees you doing 30 over hes going to know either way if you slam on your brakes or not.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Mind if I as what detector you were using?
Trying to get away with 30 over is ridiculous. Sounds to me like you used to drive stupid. I, and many other's use detector's as a tool, to increase the chances of getting some warning before we come up on a cop. I also use alot of common sense, slowing down around curves where po-po could be...etc.etc...That being said, I drive fast all the time hardly ever under the speed limit. I have yet to get a ticket in five years.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 PM

Get a V1...and enjoy life.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
Quite right.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:35 PM

I had a beltronics express 925 and it saved me about 2-3 times and it broke but I figured it was well worth it being that it was only $150 compared to $500 in tickets.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:46 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by TXT-1
You're missing one answer on your ghey poll. "Radar detectors give a false sense of security."

I've never had one, and I drive fiarly fast. It's all about knowing HOW to drive fast without getting caught.

I know tons of people who DO use detectors, and they drive the same speeds as I do and get tickets FAR more often than I do, because they're thinking that their detectors always "detect" (which is not true).

I've especially liked the 3-4 times I've been on highways behind people who I can see have radar detectors. I'll sit back 1/8 mile at the same 20+mph over speed that they're going, and laugh when they get pulled over...
Old 05-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Come to Chicago area, you wont need one. 50 expressway miles per day, 250-some days per year, I have seen 3 state troopers in the last year and a half.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyH
Come to Chicago area, you wont need one. 50 expressway miles per day, 250-some days per year, I have seen 3 state troopers in the last year and a half.
damn i cant go 15 without seenin at least 1
Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 PM
USF Class of 2009

Originally Posted by bigwee
I had a beltronics express 925 and it saved me about 2-3 times and it broke but I figured it was well worth it being that it was only $150 compared to $500 in tickets.
I have a Beltronics radar detector, too, and I love it. It was a gift and it has definently saved me a few times. I've had to learn which signals are from stores with sliding doors or traffic lights, but I can typically figure out which ones are which, (I haven't had a chance to change the sensitivity). This detector also has the laser detection feature, but I know if I get hit with laser, I'm S.O.L. anyway. The only down side is the price that these typically run...but it's saved me hundreds in tickets, especially when there's no one around in the middle of the night when it's most tempting just to let it go on I-275.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 AM

RADAR detectors do not always work. I have a great one, a V1. On a trip to Providence the other day I got a speeding ticket from a **** cop.

Here's what happened. This trip I decided NOT to drive fast, and go figure that is when I get the ticket. On my way to Providence, I sent the cruise at 70, speed limit 65. No problems.

That night early morning like 1AM. I'm heading back home. I decide to set the Cruise at 75. Always have the radar on as a second set of eyes. I'm cruising at 75 and a car gets behind me. First thing I think is cop, but disregard it. Radar is not going off and cars are passing me on the left. (if it was a cop, he would be chasing the people passing me on the left NO.

3 minutes later, I see lights, pull over and get a ticket for 76 at on 65. I tell the cop I'm going slower than the traffic..
he says - there is no traffic...
my wife says - what about the 4-5 cars that passed us on the left lane with you behind us.
he says - I was following you and pacing you, and u were speeding.

Only thing I could think off was my plates. NY plates in CT, COP figured this ****er is NOT fighting it so **** IT. It pisses me off that in NY if I pass a cop going 75 on a 65 I would not get a second look. Whatever, NY does not accept violations from any other states unless they are alcohol or drug related, so my license is still clean. Paid the ticket and called it a day.

Chuck it to licence plate profiling..
Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by rmd0311
RADAR detectors do not always work. I have a great one, a V1. On a trip to Providence the other day I got a speeding ticket from a **** cop.

Here's what happened. This trip I decided NOT to drive fast, and go figure that is when I get the ticket. On my way to Providence, I sent the cruise at 70, speed limit 65. No problems.

That night early morning like 1AM. I'm heading back home. I decide to set the Cruise at 75. Always have the radar on as a second set of eyes. I'm cruising at 75 and a car gets behind me. First thing I think is cop, but disregard it. Radar is not going off and cars are passing me on the left. (if it was a cop, he would be chasing the people passing me on the left NO.

3 minutes later, I see lights, pull over and get a ticket for 76 at on 65. I tell the cop I'm going slower than the traffic..
he says - there is no traffic...
my wife says - what about the 4-5 cars that passed us on the left lane with you behind us.
he says - I was following you and pacing you, and u were speeding.

Only thing I could think off was my plates. NY plates in CT, COP figured this ****er is NOT fighting it so **** IT. It pisses me off that in NY if I pass a cop going 75 on a 65 I would not get a second look. Whatever, NY does not accept violations from any other states unless they are alcohol or drug related, so my license is still clean. Paid the ticket and called it a day.

Chuck it to licence plate profiling..
It has been said many times before, radar detectors are tools to aid you in not getting a ticket. You, yourself must be prudent at all times when driving over the speed limit, to improve your chances. You are correct, radar detectors don't always work, but they improve your chances of being warned before you roll up on a cop, which is exactly what it is suppose to do. Honestly it seems to me a car tailing you for miles and miles on a mostly empty highway, would be a good indicator to you that something was amiss.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Regime
It has been said many times before, radar detectors are tools to aid you in not getting a ticket. You, yourself must be prudent at all times when driving over the speed limit, to improve your chances. You are correct, radar detectors don't always work, but they improve your chances of being warned before you roll up on a cop, which is exactly what it is suppose to do. Honestly it seems to me a car tailing you for miles and miles on a mostly empty highway, would be a good indicator to you that something was amiss.
Sorry if it was misunderstood. My story was meant to support exactly what you are saying. I have my radar detector because it is a great tool, hence why I paid 400 for it. But it won't prevent you from getting a ticket, its one more tool in assisting you to stay ticket free. The morale was that there are times when no matter how careful you are something can happen. In my tired train of thought, I figure the guy behind me COULD Not be a cop cause there are cars passing me with him behind me. If he was a cop he would have went after someone gone faster than I, which he did not.

Hence the license plate profiling comment.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:41 PM

radar detectors

I have a radar detector but cb save me many of times. I used them both at all times.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:08 AM

I've had radar/laser detectors for 20+ years.
I have the V1 in the MB and will install one in the new SE soon. K40 remote in the Corvette. I stay within the limits or 5 MPH over. The detectors just remind you to keep the speed in check.
I think the V1 with its arrows is the best around.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Torchcorvette
I've had radar/laser detectors for 20+ years.
I have the V1 in the MB and will install one in the new SE soon. K40 remote in the Corvette. I stay within the limits or 5 MPH over. The detectors just remind you to keep the speed in check.
I think the V1 with its arrows is the best around.
I had a K40 in the maxima, it was an older version, I got my V1 after the front sensor went out on it. I too believe the V1 is the best out there.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:18 PM

I have a $40 wally-world special (Cobra) the reason I got it, is because I know I will never trust it completly. That way, I still use my eyes and slow for uturns and never get a laisse-faire attitude. I have seen plently of cops that may or may not have been hiding, but the radar never went off. It has, though, found cops and troopers that I just plain didnt see until it went off. There is no substitute for a good ol' fashioned pair of peepers
Old 05-24-2007, 01:59 PM

You don't have an option for: had one and got rid of it.

I had one for a while and it worked well. I never got a ticket with it. It was hard wired into the car and was pretty stealthy. I sold the car, yanked the detector and never got around into installing it again. That was 4 years ago. Funny, I don't get more tickets without it. I just got better at knowing when and how to speed safely.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by madmik
I have the Bell laserpro 905. Laser's are so fast, you have no time to slow down. This toy jams the laser. Saved my neck over a dozen times with photo radars. My Bell RX65 has always given me plenty of warning for K, X bands.
A great combo.
jammers are illegal FTL
Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by NIGHTMAREuki
jammers are illegal FTL
Jammers are only illegal in a few states. Radar jammers are illegal however.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 PM

Just curious, Beltronics RX65 or Vector 995??? Looking to buy one ASAP!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by zoman85
Just curious, Beltronics RX65 or Vector 995??? Looking to buy one ASAP!!!
I think the Beltronics Laserpro 905 plugged into a RX65 is a good combination.

Many photo radar use a laser and normal human reflexes just can't cut it. You need the 905 or similar to 'block' the laser signal.

I use the RX65 on long trips. Its paid for many times over. It will alert me if a mobile radar is catching up to me about 1/4-1/2 mile behind. Forward, I normally have enough time to let the car coast back to cruise control preset speed (limit+7mph).

You can compare both device on the Beltronics website. The RX65 has the "Threat Mode Display" . I can tell if the alert is from road sign indicating a construction zone, K-band, laser, etc based on its visual and voice message.

I am real happy with the RX65.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Nightmare = Reality

I agree, nothing beats an alert pair of good eyes, however, I think with the max, it's reccomended to get either the Passport 8500, the 9500i(it has GPS to eliminate falses) or the V1. I think that if your RD isn't mounted at LEAST eye-height on your windshield, you're not using it effectively and you might as well waste your money on stickers letting the cops know you're modded or pretend to be >_>

I had my 8500 stuck on my passenger seat for awhile when i was having issues with the suction cups. it didnt even go off when i got laser'd. going to court to get the points cut next month. with it mounted in the PROPER position, it has given me JUST enough warning to duck laser twice in the last 6 months. No joke, just that ever so slight amount of indication was enough for me to turn off the road before they pulled out. No lights, no foul. Another thing, is that your eyes aren't 100% either. the one im going to court for was an 'old-man' brown crown vic sitting just off the side with the door open like it had gotten a flat. didn't even feel it may be an officer(or a crown vic for that matter) til i was close enough to see his door shut and the lights come on. One of the lasers I had ducked, when I had circled around and got back out on the road; Blue Tahoe, no markings and dash lights, and I don't mean the obviously workhorse Tahoe with the cheyenne grille, I mean tinted windows, alloys, chrome grille like any other soccermom or family man. I also often drive through Ohio alot, and they are just plain evil there. State uses laser, but I've seen in 2 situations where they'll switch to X or K band, probably because they know people like half of you who get frustrated with the "Grocery-Store Homing signal" that X and especially K will give us, and thus switch it off. That alone is worth the annoyance of putting up with the false positives. I think the BEST setup would be the 9500i with Escort's "ExpertMeter" engaged. It can track up to 9 signials I think? and will show each of them and strength, while only beeping for the highest threat (Ka or Laser)

BTW, god bless mich for no front plate requirement
Old 06-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I used to have a really expensive one that eventually broke and now i picked up a 35 dollar Whistler and it works just as fine - the range is a bit smaller but it works 100% and saved my *** a number of times.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Love them but so do thieves. The last one i had i was about to throw away. Kept going off for no reason and beeping constantly and then it was stolen. He got what he paid for.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maxim(a)SerjVQ
I agree, nothing beats an alert pair of good eyes, however, I think with the max, it's reccomended to get either the Passport 8500, the 9500i(it has GPS to eliminate falses) or the V1. I think that if your RD isn't mounted at LEAST eye-height on your windshield, you're not using it effectively and you might as well waste your money on stickers letting the cops know you're modded or pretend to be >_>

I had my 8500 stuck on my passenger seat for awhile when i was having issues with the suction cups. it didnt even go off when i got laser'd. going to court to get the points cut next month. with it mounted in the PROPER position, it has given me JUST enough warning to duck laser twice in the last 6 months. No joke, just that ever so slight amount of indication was enough for me to turn off the road before they pulled out. No lights, no foul. Another thing, is that your eyes aren't 100% either. the one im going to court for was an 'old-man' brown crown vic sitting just off the side with the door open like it had gotten a flat. didn't even feel it may be an officer(or a crown vic for that matter) til i was close enough to see his door shut and the lights come on. One of the lasers I had ducked, when I had circled around and got back out on the road; Blue Tahoe, no markings and dash lights, and I don't mean the obviously workhorse Tahoe with the cheyenne grille, I mean tinted windows, alloys, chrome grille like any other soccermom or family man. I also often drive through Ohio alot, and they are just plain evil there. State uses laser, but I've seen in 2 situations where they'll switch to X or K band, probably because they know people like half of you who get frustrated with the "Grocery-Store Homing signal" that X and especially K will give us, and thus switch it off. That alone is worth the annoyance of putting up with the false positives. I think the BEST setup would be the 9500i with Escort's "ExpertMeter" engaged. It can track up to 9 signials I think? and will show each of them and strength, while only beeping for the highest threat (Ka or Laser)

BTW, god bless mich for no front plate requirement

I just checked that 9500 out...thing is bad a$$
Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 AM

escort 8500 by far... V1 is good too but more $$ is not justified
Old 06-22-2007, 07:09 AM

Radar detectors never seem to work for me so i just stopped buying them and looking at them
Old 06-22-2007, 08:16 AM

i bought a cheap one in best buy for like $90 (cobra 11 band) and it's served me well since jacksonville is swarming with radar happy cops. generally idrive at the most 5 miles over speed limit on a normal day, but when im late for something, i turn it on and it helped me alot
Old 06-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Roger that. Vanentine V1 is the best.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:24 PM

i love mine. i got it for free so its a 100% profit from here.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 PM

Or ge a Passport 8500 and enjoy 8 bands at once....Your choice, arrows or 8 bands.

Quick Reply: Radar Detectors