General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tints and Cops

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:30 AM

Tints and Cops

Just got 30% tints on my car a few weeks ago.

Anyone want to share experiences you've had with tints and cops? I live in PA where the supposed law is 70%, so I want to see if cops in PA or other states are strict with this.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:33 AM
THIS IS...

Drive with your sunroof open or windows down and you will be fine.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got pulled over the other night and i have 15% tint...I live in Rhode Island and they can be pretty strict but if you get pulled over at night...roll down your front windows and turn on your dome lights...the big deal w/tint from a cop's perspective is that they want to be able to see in and not be threatened. I got lucky and b/c I did this he din't bust my ***** but I you get a ******** cop you won't stand a chance.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM

30% isn't that dark and they shouldn't bother you unless you are driving like an idiot or you have multiple things wrong with your car
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey man I live in Philly and work in Upper dubblin and look at my sig and see what they see. I don't care and they don't do nothing about. It's the people that act nervous and start driving really slow when cops are around that makes them stick out. I've gotten pulled over for a lot of things since I've had this car and tint or lights haven't been one of them.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 AM

last time i got pulled over , as soon as i saw the lights i put my windows down and only got a ticket for speeding. . btw i have 5% tints all around
Old 04-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by imxelite
Hey man I live in Philly and work in Upper dubblin and look at my sig and see what they see. I don't care and they don't do nothing about. It's the people that act nervous and start driving really slow when cops are around that makes them stick out. I've gotten pulled over for a lot of things since I've had this car and tint or lights haven't been one of them.
Yeah, I got away with it for a while...

In the past 3 months I've gotten tickets for my sidemarker lights twice and my 15% tint once. And yes, I always put my windows down if I get pulled over.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 AM

or, you could take the tints off and put on regular TINT. i hear its much safer with cops around.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:55 AM

in ct the legal is 35% (i have 35% sides and 5% back) and i still get pulled over and have to show my stupid little DOT stickers.... just depends how you drive and stupid the cops in ur area are
Old 04-06-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by chr0nos
or, you could take the tints off and put on regular TINT. i hear its much safer with cops around.
someone out there agrees with me

your going to get a hundred different responses, from "remove it and stay legall" to "i have 0% and the cops never bother me". it just depends on the cops in your area and their attitude toward tint. i have gotten warnings or tickets for tint once before on my max, but it was after getting pulled over for speeding, so the cop cut me a break. in other smaller towns with other cars, i have been stopped specifically for tint. the only one who really knows what its like in your area is you and others local to you. i would think in a big city like Philly they wont break your ***** too much. i am 20% and frequently am around cops because of my proximity to the police station, and for the most part, they dont even look in my direction.

another thing to consider is something like 0% tint on a white car is going to attract more attention, and stand out more, than 0% on a black car. it just does.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:19 AM

i live right outside of philly, and cops dont even seem to notice my car. BTW i have 15% all around...
Old 04-06-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by imxelite
My parents live in Upper Dublin so I'm there a lot. UD cops leave you alone huh? I know in Philly cops don't seem to care at all, but in some suburbs it seems like a different story.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:42 AM

usually in big cities cops have better things to do..it doesnt pay off for them to bust a kid with 5% on their car versus a kid sellin crack around the corner. in smaller towns, the cops can be a pain. they really dont have anything better to do than to harass you or give you tickets for window tints..or atleast imo.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by dank104
My parents live in Upper Dublin so I'm there a lot. UD cops leave you alone huh? I know in Philly cops don't seem to care at all, but in some suburbs it seems like a different story.
Okay let me be more honest and break it down. Upper Dubbin- Willow Grove you won't get bothered. Horsham - might give you problems depends on the cop, they only have like 10 of them anyway lol. Abington/Jenkintown - no problem just don't speed they don't give warnings. Warrington - I hardly see any cops as I drive but the few I've seen have been to busy buying stuff from the local Wawa or something to even care. Philly - every part is cool about tint, unless you go in certain parts of the greater northeast then you could come in contact with a jerk cop that's looking for problems.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM

I had 15% in upstate NY and have been pulled over like 14 times (no front plate, blocked rear plate in a snowstorm (BS) etc...) and they never mention the tints and I usually only roll my window down. Only once at a mall i actually got pulled over for the windows, and was a huge **** to the cop, and I got a ticket. If you get pulled over, don't be a **** to the cop duh or u will get the ticket and be a dummy like me
Old 04-06-2006, 12:29 PM
vsamoylov

first time i ever got pulled over and it was because the cop had nothing better to do. he gave me a ticket only for my drivers side window. i have 20% all around and 35% on the windshield.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:15 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

I have gotten pulled over bunch of times only for my tints. I have 25% all around.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:28 PM

it just depends i guess. but most cops really dont care, ive driven by so many cops, even at night. so it just depends on the cop if he wants to pull you over or not. ive gotten pulled over once over a period of a year having 35% on the sides. during the day you cant really see it, but at night they get dark. and when i got pulled over it was at night and it was like 30 degrees, so i didnt have my windows down.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:21 PM

The law up here sounds identical (70% limit), I've had 35% for almost 2 years now, pulled over twice in that period and never had a comment about my tint. Like someone else said unless you're being (or driving like) an *******, it seems they don't bother you about it around here too much.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:43 AM

thanks for all the info!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:44 AM

on what everyone else said. It depends from city to city how the cops are going to act. I just get stopped mainly for my exhaust, but since I know about the vehicle code in california regarding exhaust, they have never been able to get a ticket to stick.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:28 PM

I've been pulled over a bunch of times for my tints, at least once a year. Cops in some towns around here can be real ****s. I'd rather get a ticket for tints than for speed though. Half of the time I've gotten out of it because of my clean record. Once time I think I was pulled over just so he could check out my car. One time in cedar grove I was pulled over once a week for a whole month. The first time I got a ticket, after that the other let me know when I told them that they just gave me a ticket for tints.
The one time that really pissed my off was when I recieved a written warning. Less than a week later I was pulled over again(didnt do anything) for my tints and I was given a ticket even though I was supposed to have 30 days to 'fix' my tints.
I have 20% all around btw.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:15 PM

i got pulled over last night for tints (i have 20% on the 3 rears and 35% on the two fronts) and for not having plates on the front of my car (the first time in 6 years). but he let me go with a warning.
i'm lucky too because i just found out earlier that night from a different cop that my driver's license was suspended (for the past 2 years and i didn't even know about it). the cop that informed me of this told me that if i get pulled over, i'm going to jail because it's an arrestable offense. so i'm glad the second cop gave me just a warning.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:31 AM

Yeah I'm in Va.. My tint is anbout 20%... i was driving around 12 midnight .. doing the speed limit and all of a sudden i'm seeing police lights.. i'm thinking to myself like WTF did I do wrong... I pulled ove, rolled my window down and the police officer askd me do i know why he pulled me over.That must be a tactic question for them b/c I did kinda Roll'd a stop Sign ( not coming to a complete stop) a block earlier, where i was coming from. But the officer was like Yeah That too<--(b/s)// talking about my tint was too dark... I'm like are you serious.. if it were daytime, you can see straight through my car, it just so happens that at nite my tint looks darker then what it really is... So he pulled out his little Tint-O-Meter lol.. and told me my tint is exactly 24%.. and sd the law in Virginia i believe is 50%.. all around/
Thank god i didnt get any ticket's , so if you come to Va... be sure your tint is 50% ha ha ... B/c mine is staying at 24%
Old 04-09-2006, 08:41 AM

i have %20 all around in chicago / ILL. they look dark cause maybe the interior is black/lthr so that sort compliments it? but as far as having trouble with the law ive had none .......
Old 04-09-2006, 09:54 AM

yeah you're right about that because i do have black interior
Old 04-09-2006, 12:37 PM

i have 5%...in ct never gotten pulled over in a year since i had them done. oh yeah i have all black interior as well tan head liner... still no problems
Old 04-09-2006, 01:44 PM
retired moderator

It is "TINT" not "TINTS"...

isn't it a bit late to ask this question anyhow, seeing as you already had your "tints" installed?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 PM

@tints. Ive been rollin with 20% in Tx for a while and havent been bothered about it.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
It is "TINT" not "TINTS"...

isn't it a bit late to ask this question anyhow, seeing as you already had your "tints" installed?
thanks for the grammar lesson

i just wanted to see what others have experienced with tint, that's all. just curious.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

I've had illegal tint on every car i've owned in G (5% , 5% , 20% , 5% )
and never been pulled over for tints. maybe just lucky. I also live in a small town where i see prob 4 cops + every time i drive
Old 04-09-2006, 08:34 PM

do it man, like ive said it in previous threads: "TINTZ" (irish let it go....) are not really illegal. therse is just a little trade off. you pay the cops some money, and they let you have them. its just the system they made up for them to make free money off of us. but its pain in the *** to take them off for inspection and then do em over again. but i really like having tints because i dont like the baking sun inside my car. plus it makes my car look nice!
Old 04-10-2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
do it man, like ive said it in previous threads: "TINTZ" (irish let it go....) are not really illegal. therse is just a little trade off. you pay the cops some money, and they let you have them. its just the system they made up for them to make free money off of us. but its pain in the *** to take them off for inspection and then do em over again. but i really like having tints because i dont like the baking sun inside my car. plus it makes my car look nice!
funny thing is that in PA, you can pass state inspection with any % but cops can still ticket you for it...don't know how that makes sense
Old 04-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Adrian

Hector did my Tint last summer and first time I even had an issue was 2 weeks ago. Cop pulled me over and said he was going to give me a warning this time. Took the fronts off completely, Suburb cops are nit picky.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:29 AM

Hey NJMAX where you get your tint done? I am around your area, so if you know a good local place that would be cool.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:29 PM

Hey NJMAX where you get your tint done? I am around your area, so if you know a good local place that would be cool.
I got my tints done at House of Tints in bloomfield but they've gone out of business about two years ago. This was back in 2002 I think. Too bad though, it was 99 for 20% all around and it was a nice job too. They place that replace them is supposed to be nice too. My friends cousin got his es330 done there and you can tell that his rear windshield is a two piece, its just a bit more pricey.

I can't remember the street name. Its off of bloomfield ave just past a strauss auto and before a laundramat thats about a block down. Its around the corner from a pizza place and fishing store.

On another note, can you get kicked off an issurance company for tint tickets? I'm just wondering because I'm still under my dads name because its cheaper and so was my sister. My sister got into an accident, a couple tickets and totaled her car in less than a year so they kicked us off. He's started to get on my case about this tint thing because he's worried that his insurrance will go up. I plan on getting them redone to 35% in the front so I can see a little better at night because some streets around my house aren't lit very well. Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 99NJMAX
I got my tints done at House of Tints in bloomfield but they've gone out of business about two years ago. This was back in 2002 I think. Too bad though, it was 99 for 20% all around and it was a nice job too. They place that replace them is supposed to be nice too. My friends cousin got his es330 done there and you can tell that his rear windshield is a two piece, its just a bit more pricey.

I can't remember the street name. Its off of bloomfield ave just past a strauss auto and before a laundramat thats about a block down. Its around the corner from a pizza place and fishing store.

On another note, can you get kicked off an issurance company for tint tickets? I'm just wondering because I'm still under my dads name because its cheaper and so was my sister. My sister got into an accident, a couple tickets and totaled her car in less than a year so they kicked us off. He's started to get on my case about this tint thing because he's worried that his insurrance will go up. I plan on getting them redone to 35% in the front so I can see a little better at night because some streets around my house aren't lit very well. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't think they would kick you off, but rather just raise the premium. But that's just a guess and I have no idea.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:43 PM

I haven't read every reply here, so sorry if I reiterate anything, but I looked up the exact statutes for Minnesota, and according to the official Minnesota website (http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/169/71.html) the legal limit is minimum 50% +- 3% light pass-through and maximum 20% +- 3% reflectivity for side and rear windows, and no tinting the windshield. In any case, I think I could live with 50%. Also, the statute requires that the percentages be marked on the glass, so if a cop ever gave you trouble you could prove it's within the legal limit. And even though there's the principle of "substantially reduce the driver's clear view", that is for the judge to decide, not the cop. In any case, I don't know about other states but you could probably find the statutes online and look them over for ones regarding tinting, or "glazing". As long as you make sure you're legal, you're fine.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by zylon
i have %20 all around in chicago / ILL. they look dark cause maybe the interior is black/lthr so that sort compliments it? but as far as having trouble with the law ive had none .......

im jealous...i jus got my tints monday morning and on my way to work on the SAME DAY...i got pulled over for them....luckily i got a warning but IL tint laws are

but then again my car is white...
Old 04-11-2006, 06:37 PM

I would just make it legal, that way they have nothing on you.

Why do you need such a dark tint anyways?

Quick Reply: Tints and Cops