General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Waste tire disposal fee?

Old 02-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Waste tire disposal fee?

How many people have had to pay the "waste tire disposal fee" when buying a new car? Well new or used, and how many states besides NYS have it? Getting a used nissan tomorrow, without a trade-in, and they charge a fee per tire in the sales bill. i know when you get new tires at a shop they charge since they take your old ones off, and its a state law, but does anybody have information or anything on it, and if this dealer SHOULD be or not?
Old 02-28-2006, 04:02 AM
JFP in PA

Originally Posted by carsarecool
How many people have had to pay the "waste tire disposal fee" when buying a new car? Well new or used, and how many states besides NYS have it? Getting a used nissan tomorrow, without a trade-in, and they charge a fee per tire in the sales bill. i know when you get new tires at a shop they charge since they take your old ones off, and its a state law, but does anybody have information or anything on it, and if this dealer SHOULD be or not?
Most states now charge this fee, it is supposed to cover proper recycling of the old tires......................

Old 02-28-2006, 04:57 AM

I know, but what old tires were wondering? If a person put new tires on the car and traded it in, they get charged that fee and so does the buyer(for some reason) but the law says, if the dealership selling the car put tires on for the sake of resale(obviously) then the fee cannot be charged on tires only meant for resale.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:16 AM
JFP in PA

I know, but what old tires were wondering? If a person put new tires on the car and traded it in, they get charged that fee and so does the buyer(for some reason) but the law says, if the dealership selling the car put tires on for the sake of resale(obviously) then the fee cannot be charged on tires only meant for resale.
The law is basically a "tax"; and all tax codes have loop holes to protect certain parties, like the dealership. The rationale is that the dealership has to do this all the time, and the tax would be a burden on a firm that is automatically expected to operate in an environmentally sound fashion, meaning that they typically would not be throwing old tires into the river to get rid of them; while a private individual would. Hence, the dealer gets a free ride, and you get stuck with the fee.............

Old 02-28-2006, 05:21 AM

Hmm... i thought it'd be something like that, my gf is more pissed about it than I am, its only 12 dollars but just seems kinda rediculous if they never touched the tires. I guess same principle as the bottle deposit(although thats to encourage recycling) and if a car gets traded in that just got inspected last month, and you buy it, you still have to pay another fee to get it inspected again. What is the fee in PA btw?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:29 AM
JFP in PA

Hmm... i thought it'd be something like that, my gf is more pissed about it than I am, its only 12 dollars but just seems kinda rediculous if they never touched the tires. I guess same principle as the bottle deposit(although thats to encourage recycling) and if a car gets traded in that just got inspected last month, and you buy it, you still have to pay another fee to get it inspected again. What is the fee in PA btw?
When is comes to taxes just remember: The dog doesn't need the license; but the state needs the money.

If memory serves, the tax in PA is $3 per tire........

Old 02-28-2006, 05:05 PM

yup, but im rather sure its supposed to be on new cars only!!! since the used cars tire fees were already paid when sold new. or if tires were replaced fee paid when purchasing them.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:57 PM
GrandPa

Its another bulls*it fee like the extra fees on your telephone bill. Just another way to take your money.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:00 PM

I paid them, don't really know why thought because it's a brand new car.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:45 PM
retired moderator

It's only a couple bucks. You're already paying all kinds of fees when you buy a car anyways, so this one's just a drop in the bucket....though I agree, it doesn't make much sense
Old 03-30-2006, 11:18 AM

I didn't have to pay a fee when I bought the car, just when I had the tires replaced.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:34 PM

I paid 12.50....
Old 03-31-2006, 10:14 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Its another "I can screw you over and there is nothing you can do about it" fee. In most cases we are
Old 04-04-2006, 08:15 PM

It's a really common fee, sucks but what ya gonna do?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:09 PM

There's a place in NYC to dispose of the old tires. No fee is needed. Is located around 31st street and 10th Avenue in Manhattan.