General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

hid fog install

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:26 AM

hid fog install

ok flame me all you want, just as long as i get answers.

i know the general concensus is that the fog kit is plug and play and that its so easy, even a monkey can do it.

well this monkey dosent want to cause several hundred dollars of damage and get it done right the first time. If you would be so kind as to tell me the steps as to installing the prolumen kit, (specifically the splicing part) it would be appreciated greatly. perhaps even a sticky so that it could silence the qualms of the nervous modders on the forum.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:10 PM

have u ever taken ur fogs out b4, if so then u know most of what to do.

heres it in a nutshell. i just did another set on my 00

take fogs out. to make it easier take out ur headlights,since its a 02 ur on ur own. its easier to see what ur doing and its far less painful. even tho theres the hassle of taking them off, trust me its easier than doing it from undernieth. even tho ull stilll have to take out a phillips screw out of the bottom of the fog i think, thats how it is on my 00 i know the 02s are different.

wiring
take the wires that go to the fog light and adapt that to the wires from the kit. either cut or whatever, i tapped into mine just in case i want to go back to non hids if i sell the car. thats about it for the wiring.

somehow u have to get the two big wires for the hid bulb thru the back of the fog light, simple drill a hole and run the wires. again i kept all my stock stuff attached to be able to reverse the process. put in the bulb like a normal h3 and seal it up. some use a balloon or sealant. i just used el tape for now.

figure out where to put the ballast and such, mine are on top of the foglight hole. its just easy to get to and i didnt have to cut any wires.

thast basiclly it.

for more brightness, bake ur fogs and get rid of the reflector, that helps alot. its illegal but so are hid fogs.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:05 PM

took me close to 6 hours but I finally got it on. The first fog took me close to 5 hours just because of the confusion about splicing and my nervousness of cutting the wires. Also mounting the ballast and igniter was a pain and confusing. I ended up mounting the ballast to the frame directly behind the foglight. i tried ziptying it to the frame like people suggested but it was too loose for comfort. So i took a piece of styrofoam and used it as a brace for more support. That and the ducttape helped hold it firmly against the frame. The igniter was place up higher under the headlight. I wraped it with ductape to hold it steady. Unfortunately i did not connect the bulb to the igniter before hand so it took me a good half hour of grunting and cursing to line the ends up and force them togehter with one hand.

I have to say that it was realatively easy to install the second light once i got the first one down. The kit was definately plug and play, but there is cutting and splicing involved. The end product made a complete difference in terms of amount of light on the road. my only gripe is that i didnt put enough waterproof tape on the splices and it may cause a short in the long run or that the ductape may not hold up to the weather.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:05 PM

id re-aim ur fogs now, the light output can be very different now. and most can be wasted if theyre not aimed right. again its easier to do with the headlights out and just turning the adjustemnt screw with the car on level ground.