General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Who do you tend to let in on the highway
I let everyone in equally.
42.33%
I tend to let all nissans in.
11.66%
I tend to let all maximas in
17.18%
I tend to only let my generation maxima in
5.52%
Screw em all...No one gets in!
23.31%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Who do you tend to let in on the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 11:53 PM
brotherhood of tq

this is the reason why we have accidents...people lack common curtousy(sp) while driving
Old 12-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Doctor D I presume???

LIke wise in South Jersey, If people actually learned how to drive properly via actually learning what the car can do (especially in NJ and Philly) And did not need the rush to anywhere than this would not be the problem in our area
Originally Posted by Nismotic
If i see that drivers didn't cut on the left lane and speed all the way up to the top and try to cut in, ill most likely let them in. Also, it depends if they ask to jump into the lane as well. A lot of assssholes in PA try to turn on their blinkers and jump in. I hate that.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Agreed, people out just for themselves.... oh well it
Originally Posted by liqidvenom
this is the reason why we have accidents...people lack common curtousy(sp) while driving
Old 12-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Doctor D I presume???

Yeah this is east coast as well, Although we tend to drive on the emergency pull off lane in order to pass if all lanes are packed.

Originally Posted by blacmax02
I don't know about drivers on the east coast, but on I-5 in cal you tend to get a line of cars on the left passing one slow truck on the right. Invariably, some guy decides to fly past on the right and cut in right before they slam into the trailer. Those are the guys I don't let in. Anyone else, hey, if you can go faster than my Max, you're welcome to come in!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:23 PM

i never let riced out hondas in, i hate them!!!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:59 AM
is invisible

This is as as my locked foglight poll...Jeffy where are you now?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:44 PM

I don't drive in the right lane, so I don't have to let in any one. In traffic, I will always allow a maxima, but usally anyone depending if I'm angry or not.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 PM

I'll let someone in, but depending on if they know how to drive, but i have idiots who don't know how to signal or watch it. then i won't let them in
Old 12-29-2005, 02:24 PM

i just stick to the left lane.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I let just about anyone in most of the time. I'm in no rush, no point in being an arsehole.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by USPharmD
i just stick to the left lane.
I hate people who stick in the passing lane.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:01 PM

they can cut me if they can pass me...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:48 PM

I will always let you in, unless you come up on me like an idiot.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 AM

All Maximas get in unconditionally... other cars have to slow down and come in after me. =)
Old 01-04-2006, 09:30 AM

Let the other guy in. Especailly if his car (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) costs more than yours does.

In Chicago, traffic is bumper-to-bumper anyways. In that environment, you really can't cut someone off. What strikes me as asinine is when some d!ckhead in a minivan won't let someone on the expressway and force them into the breakdown lane ......all for what?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:21 PM
STFU n00b!

if they act sane and use their blinker, I let them in.. if they haul *** up the shoulder, then try to stick their nose in front of me, then I pretend I'm looking in my mirror to get into the other lane and close the gap. it's much easier to pretend you don't care when you drive a $2000 POS and have three other cars in the driveway you can grab if you smash that one.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:32 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Vlasic
When you are getting on to a freeway you are suppose ot be going fastr then the flow of traffic.
So that's what the yield sign is for!
Old 01-04-2006, 04:36 PM

I don't know about OH, but around here, there are no yield signs when merging on major highways. That would just be insane if you had to slow down or stop when merging into traffic going 65+ MPH.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:41 PM
VIP Maxima

whoever can get in, i let em in, who ever is going to come close, i try to pass. i dont have enough power nor good brakes to play this game...... btw, one thing is for sure, semi's will never let u in, theyll run u over if they want to.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 AM
the org...not what it was

If i'm lined up with the car when they are coming off the ramp then they must be moving pretty damn fast, that being the case i'm letting them in to run'em for cover, otherwise 9x out of 10x I will be in front of the person/moving at least 2x's that cars speed (I don't know of an on ramp that is faster then 45mph in the dc metro area) hence me not having to deal with that hardly at all.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 PM

I only let nice hot blond chicks in...
Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 AM

i let only my generation in. i may even give them a friendly honk and most times they honk back. every one else has to fend for themselves.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by -Sin-
I only let nice hot blond chicks in...
Depends how many drinks are in me
Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Anyone that know's how to use a signal, and anyone that knows how to merge without breaking my stride.
That is pretty much it for me. If you're considerate enough to use your turn signal, I am considerate enough to let you in.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
I dont care if they drive a Lexus, or a Nissan. If they look like they are driving like an *******, and im in an edgy mood, I might give them a hard time. I wish I could just not care and never get angry or annoyed at anyone on the road, I wouldn't be as stressed and annoyed on the road.

new car now? corolla?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:59 AM

Like SR20DEN said, if someone is indicating like the law says and I can allow them in without causing potential trouble around me I'll let them in.

Depends if you're on the motorway or an ordinary road though.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:07 PM
wat

Originally Posted by Iron Scimitar
i hate anyone and everyone on the road.

If they can prove they WANT to get on (i.e. getting up past the speed limit to merge) then I let them in because they show intelligence.

But for the people that are trying to merge @ 40mph, I stay in the right lane going at a steady speed, NOT slowing down for them. Scares a few people, but it makes them learn a lesson very quickly.

Today I sat behind someone on the onramp trying to merge at, I kid you not, 35MPH. I just went around them on the shoulder before the onramp connected, and watched in my rear view mirror only to see the guy almost cause a 15 car pileup for backing up the onramp and merging at an ungodly slow speed. Thats a perfect example on how speeding doesnt kill, its the slow drivers that are at fault.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:13 PM
wat

Originally Posted by Vlasic
When you are getting on to a freeway you are suppose to be going faster then the flow of traffic.
Finally, someone pointed it out. This is going in the sig.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
† ErV †

i use a formula. it's complex. I mean it... i've made it into a science.

i factor in how much space is between me and the car in front. often i'll leave plenty so people can fit in as they please. but if the space is not enough, i will not let you in unless the following are met:

you have your blinkers on long enough for me to see them, you are actually looking at me as to not hit me, you don't have 50 of your friends in, you are frantically trying to get across to make the exit. you are not jumping from lane to lane trying to get 10 cars ahead and risking causing a chain wreck.

i know within 2 seconds if i want to let you in. scared a jetta to death one day because he thought he can ram his way in. well he did but he regretted it.....

Old 01-20-2006, 11:03 AM

don't let in ****** who try to squeeze in front of you, thats my motto.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:33 PM

screw letting people in...i live in toronto, canada with 6+ million other angry commuters...damn nobody EVER lets me in...so i try to do the same....if someone SIGNALS...then i'll let them in if i can..if not...screw them...just my 2 cents
Old 01-22-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by M1RAG3
screw letting people in...i live in toronto, canada with 6+ million other angry commuters...damn nobody EVER lets me in...so i try to do the same....if someone SIGNALS...then i'll let them in if i can..if not...screw them...just my 2 cents
REAL OT:

True - commuting sucks; don't have anywhere near that number in Auckland (only a city of 1.2 million) but when I lived on the (north) shore and had to drive a pretty short distance (only about 4 miles) across the harbour bridge into work in town it would take at least an hour...on a good day. If some d.i.c.k head had had a crash trying to force their way in then it became two.

One morning a petrol tanker jack-knifed and closed down the whole damn interchange for about six hours (and yes I was stuck in traffic the whole time ). The twit had decided to take a different off-ramp and tried to change across two lanes of traffic IN RUSH HOUR IN A BIG F***-OFF TRUCK.

Smart Guy.

Some days I let everyone in - other days those who use their brains and can drive and occasionally (very occasionally) I become the driver I hate most and floor it to cut others off... city life, long hours and terrible traffic make us do the most terrible things.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:37 PM

Whenever i get the chance to drive, i guess it depends on if i'm in a rush or just driving to where i have to go without a timeslot. If they're in a rush i'll usually let them go because i can't have a potential psycho running ragged on the road next to me so they can go right ahead. *******s, grannies, normal ppl, it just depends on if i'm really in a rush or not.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Banned

Hot chicks always get in.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:27 AM
BK1
Hello

Only people that use their signals before moving into the lane. If they nose in before signalling or don't signal at all...forget about it.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:22 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

I let everyone in except ricers, poser gangstas, people driving like dumba$$es, people who don't signal, morons who think merging means plowing all the way up to the end of a lane and kinda drifting over into the next one, and all SUV drivers. I will actually speed up to keep those people from merging, unless they're about to run out of lane and look like they would hit me if I try.

I actually go out of my way to let in truckers, nice people who signal and wait patiently but can't get a break, and families driving responsibly in minivans and station wagons. As in, I will read traffic all around me and figure out the best way to use my car to make space for them without seriously disrupting everyone else. If we're on a crowded interchange and I see them waiting to get in behind me, I will wave them up to merge in front of me.

Everyone else gets treated equally, and make/model almost never makes a difference other than in the above cases.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:21 AM
<3my2kMaxSE

I generally let anyone in. There have been a few instances where I won't, but only when someone has been excessively rude and blocking them from coming over won't create an accident. I'd rather not have someones death on my conscience, especially for something as stupid as not letting them in front of me!

As for the 17y/o that was talking about running a truck off of the road...
Old 02-17-2006, 04:02 PM

I tend to let anyone in as some people are willing to risk an accident for a few seconds. The only time that I can recall was recently a 911, I could have let [it] in [but] I held off. No clue why I did that.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:28 PM

I only let in one car max when it is a merging lane, and if they don't break my stride. I on the other hand get in how ever I can, but will accelerate once I merge if I need to.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima lover
I will normally let just about anyone in that uses their signal and are actually going the speed of the traffic on the highway when they merge.

I am courteous to anyone if they're using turn signals. But if they don't use turn signals, f*ck them. Obviously they don't really want to merge if they aren't using turn signals. Of course, 98% of the people in the Philadelphia area are stupid beyond belief when behind the wheel of a car. The concept of "Keep right, pass left" is completely lost on these people. I really think I must be the only person a brain on the Schuylkill Expressway.

I always help out truckers.

Quick Reply: Who do you tend to let in on the highway?