General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

honestly, how much does an e-brake cable cost

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 06:31 AM

honestly, how much does an e-brake cable cost

Nissan wants 300 dollars for left e brake replacement plus 100 dollars for brake fluid flush since its dirty.

do you think it will be cheaper if i buy a e-brake cable on my own and take it to a local mechanic?

i know nothing of repairs.

Thanks
Roger
Old 12-15-2005, 06:52 AM
No more Maximas...

Anything would be cheaper than the dealer.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:29 AM

^

It IS just a cable. That's ridiculous. You could probably get a length of regular good strength cable down at your hardware store for a few bones and do it yourself even.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:33 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by radpp16
Nissan wants 300 dollars for left e brake replacement plus 100 dollars for brake fluid flush since its dirty.

do you think it will be cheaper if i buy a e-brake cable on my own and take it to a local mechanic?

i know nothing of repairs.

Thanks
Roger
You could get a used engine for that amount, or a water pump replaced, CY axles replaced, possibly clutch replaced etc..etc..
Find a local mechanic and ask him.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

See if you can get one from the wreckers. They have used the same cable for a long time because I swapped the one from my 2002 into the 95 and it was exactly the same.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:45 PM

junk yards generally dont pull something like a e brake cable off for you. i think it was 100-150 for the part, so the rest should be labor. shouldnt have to flush the system either, the cable almost has nothing to do with the reg brakes.
if you have an auto leave it be.
if you're not mechanically inclined dont do it since youre gonna have to drop the exhaust to get tho them, plus take off the calipers, probably the console, etc.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
junk yards generally dont pull something like a e brake cable off for you. i think it was 100-150 for the part, so the rest should be labor. shouldnt have to flush the system either, the cable almost has nothing to do with the reg brakes.
if you have an auto leave it be.
if you're not mechanically inclined dont do it since youre gonna have to drop the exhaust to get tho them, plus take off the calipers, probably the console, etc.
Junk yards don't pull them but many will let you go and remove parts yourself, thats what I do.

Also the left and right cables can be changed without dropping the exhaust, removing the caliper or removing the console. Just remove the wheel and get out your 10mm socket.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jime
Junk yards don't pull them but many will let you go and remove parts yourself, thats what I do.

Also the left and right cables can be changed without dropping the exhaust, removing the caliper or removing the console. Just remove the wheel and get out your 10mm socket.
maybe where you live, but in NY insurance regulations prevent most customers from entering junkyard lots, let alone do work in them.

i pulled 3 sets of brake cables(one 3rd gen, 2 4th gens) both have eiter 10 or 12 mm bolts under or a part of the heatshields, therefore unless you know exactly where they are and are ambidextrous, it's really tough to do w/o dropping the exhaust. that's not to say you can't take it off the hangers, move it to one side and put it back on though. it's also alot easier to get the cable on the caliper then slide it over the rotor than to stretch the cable to try to go over the caliper alone. just my opinion,

if you can do it without having to do either, god bless ya, but most people will take it further appart to avoid the bloddy knuckles
Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
maybe where you live, but in NY insurance regulations prevent most customers from entering junkyard lots, let alone do work in them.

i pulled 3 sets of brake cables(one 3rd gen, 2 4th gens) both have eiter 10 or 12 mm bolts under or a part of the heatshields, therefore unless you know exactly where they are and are ambidextrous, it's really tough to do w/o dropping the exhaust. that's not to say you can't take it off the hangers, move it to one side and put it back on though. it's also alot easier to get the cable on the caliper then slide it over the rotor than to stretch the cable to try to go over the caliper alone. just my opinion,

if you can do it without having to do either, god bless ya, but most people will take it further appart to avoid the bloddy knuckles
We even have a yard that has a free parts day program on 5 weekends a year that gives you access to over 2000 cars and you can take all the parts you can carry away for a $45 entry fee.

The heat shields do have to be removed but are only held on by 10mm bolts and are easily removed without dropping the exhaust or removing any hangars giving you full access to the cable bolts. Removing the cable from the caliper also doesn't require removal of the caliper even the FSM tells you to take the cable off before caliper removal.

I do this laying on my back in driveway without even a hoist it not that difficult.