General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Changed Ball Joints, Now Scraping Noise

Old 11-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Chassis Freak

Changed Ball Joints, Now Scraping Noise

I'm stumped.

Last month I replaced my control arm bushings and pressed in new ball joints. Put the car back together and it drives fine, with one exception. When I turn the wheel to the right (even slightly to the right) while moving, I hear a light metal scraping noise like a dust shield touching the rotor, but only once per wheel revolution. I've driven probably 100 miles around town since then and it seems to be nothing important because the car drives normally. My first ideas were it was the brake dust shield or maybe a loose cotter pin on the axle nut or ball joint. But then I realized that bent dust shield would make a constant scraping noise, not once per revolution, unless the brake rotor itself was really uneven. And why would it make the noise only while turning right?

I jacked the front end up and attempted to replicate the problem. With the engine running and the car in gear I turned the wheel but could not hear the scraping noise. I then thought it might only be scraping when the suspension is loaded so I jacked up the left control arm (with the wheel off) and repeated. No noise. I repeated for the right side even though it really sounds like it's coming from the driver side wheel well. No noise.

I've looked all around the control arms, brakes, and hub and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I haven't tried to load the suspension with the car in the air and the wheels still on because that would be more difficult...I'm hoping I don't have to do that.

FWIW, I'm lowered a moderate amount. Another random thought: I broke the little metal ABS sensor bracket on the driver side because it was so rusted it was fused. The plastic sensor cover itself seems to be fine but I'm wondering if the sensor is loose or something. Doesn't really seem like that would make this noise though.

EDIT: I have since put my stock rims on the car for the winter. With these rims, the noise only seems to occur with the wheels hard right. My summer rims are 17x8 and the stockers are 16x6.5. So I'm really starting to think part of the rim is scraping something. I had already checked my summer rim for evidence of scraping and saw none. Weird.

Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2005, 04:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's the brake rotor dust shield, just move it away from the rotor and the noise will stop. You can do that without removing the wheel, just put a long screwdriver through your wheel and gently push the shield away from the rotor on several points.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Do I get a tax break?

to what Tom said. I had the same problem and solved it exactly as suggested. I just put a long screwdriver through the rims and pushed the shield back...
Old 11-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Chassis Freak

OK, I didn't see it contacting the brake rotor anywhere and it seemed to me that if that was it it would make a constant noise, not one scrape per revolution. But since you guys are convinced I'll take another look. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:53 PM
retired moderator

I would also say it's the dust shield...BUT......

if it only happens when the wheel is turned hard right (all the way to the end) it is probably the right steering bump stop...it's a little plastic cap on the metal bump stop rod coming off the knuckle. The plastic cap can come off or wear through (my left one fell off and right one wore through), and then the metal end rubs against the lower control arm when turned to the lock.

I'll be willing to be that's your problem.

replacement bump stop cap: $1.75 from the dealer
Old 11-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
It's the brake rotor dust shield, just move it away from the rotor and the noise will stop. You can do that without removing the wheel, just put a long screwdriver through your wheel and gently push the shield away from the rotor on several points.

This solved my problem a week ago when I swapped axles, just bent it back noise was gone.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Chassis Freak

Nah, it couldn't be the plastic bump stop cap because I saw them both there and it doesn't really fit my symptoms.

It has to be the dust shield; the sound is the sound a thin piece of metal would make when scraping. But I don't understand why it only happens when I turn right! I'll try bending it when I have a chance.