General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NY ghetto got TOTALED today......

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by SDot82
What are you all talking about nose dive, Navi's sit a lot higher then a max and it would just slide right under it (this happened to me with my neon and a ford ranger). If the man said he stopped in time before hitting the Navi then he stopped in time. If you look at the damage, he was hit at the weak point of the car (the grill, hood, and lights which all crumble (sp?) pretty easy). Anyway sorry about your luck.
That's fine if you honestly feel that way
Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 PM

man that sucks but lucky you, at least your airbags didnt pop out like mine!!

and thats only me hitting a curb! with no body damage
Old 08-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i used to own a 2000 GLE and while at rest, i got hit from 5 mph behind by a daewoo lanos and my car SPRUNG forward..no damage to my rear bumper or the other car, but the coins in my ashtray all flew out and went behind the center console. btw, there was no car in front of me

so i dont find it hard to believe what he said at all..

good luck
Old 08-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Banned

NY Ghetto keep us posted on whats happenin'
Old 08-13-2005, 06:40 AM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

At least you are okay. Driving in NYC is a b*tch. But what can you do? Let us know how things turn out for you.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:06 AM

As long as you are OK....
Old 08-13-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by NYghettoGLE
also, the airbags did not deploy.......WTF?
The hit was too high....the sensors are under your impact zone.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by chernmax
PS, I think you where also doing a little (a lot) of agressive driving or you where not focused on the road since a Max has a far better stopping distance than a Navigator...
Yes, it may. Or it may not, considering that Navigators have to have brakes powerful enough to stop a fully loaded vehicle with a towed load, and this particular one probably only had the one guy in it.

But braking distances aren't the whole story. What messes things up is that Navi got on the brakes first. The Max would have had to have one hell of a vicious set of brakes to get down below the Navi's speed -- which already had a headstart on being cut down -- quickly enough to avoid closing the distance, and from the story, it doesn't sound like there was a lot of distance.

I know for a fact that my car stops quicker than a lightened Max with the front 2-piston brakes off a J30, so it should destroy, say, a Jeep Grand Cherokee in a stopping contest. But a week ago, on the highway, lo and behold... one of them slammed on the brakes in front of me with about 2 car lengths distance, I damn near locked my wheels up, and I still couldn't keep from hitting his rear bumper. It wasn't a heavy impact, but let's just say I now have a used CF hood and leave it at that.

Originally Posted by CandiMan
What I'm curious of, who got ticketed? My guess you and the Santa Fe got tickets. It's hard to believe you came to a complete stop inches behind the Navi and the Santa Fe hit you that hard for you to do that much damage to the front of your car, but hardly any damge to the rear of your car and the front of the Santa Fe.
My accident was somewhat similar: A Mercury Cougar was crawling up my a$$, I was looking in my rearview mirror at them, and I didn't react in time to the Jeep. Then, the Cougar hit my rear bumper. I swear the rear impact felt a TON worse than the front one, but my rear end was barely scuffed, let alone dented -- the only damage was that it ripped out the plate that holds the trunk latch in place.

I got a citation for following too closely. The girls in the Cougar told the state trooper that the Jimmy bumped them into me, so they didn't get anything. It all depends on how you play it, I guess.

F**kin' SUVs.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:12 AM

I still do not understand why the maxima got so much damage while the other two cars only got away with scratches.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Cuz of the points of impact. Bumpers absorb a LOT. Hoods, grilles, and radiator supports get chewed.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:29 AM

oooh, yea I didn't think of it that way at first. the bumpers are definitely stronger and in this case he was hit by two jeeps/suv which are higher.

thanks
Old 08-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Yes, it may. Or it may not, considering that Navigators have to have brakes powerful enough to stop a fully loaded vehicle with a towed load, and this particular one probably only had the one guy in it. But braking distances aren't the whole story. What messes things up is that Navi got on the brakes first. The Max would have had to have one hell of a vicious set of brakes to get down below the Navi's speed -- which already had a headstart on being cut down -- quickly enough to avoid closing the distance, and from the story, it doesn't sound like there was a lot of distance.
I have an SUV with a heavy duty towing package and regardless, the stopping characteristics of an SUV is still longer than a Max. Seeming how my comment was speculative, I can't say for sure. What I do know for a fact is, if you are maintaining a safe distance and paying attention to the road, you can stop in time, if you are going fast and change lanes where vehicles are going slower and they inadvertently brake, your f%ucked.

IMO, This accident was caused by one of two things, aggressive driving by all parties, or inattention to the road by most parties. In most situations I prefer to drive behind other cars so I still have a view of the car and their rear brake lights all the way down a lane... If I see one brake light 10 cars up, I am prepared to brake since in most cases, it ferries down the line. Still glad our Org brother is OK, that is more important...