General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What Generation 7 should be.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:33 PM

What Generation 7 should be.....

Hey ....I'm an engineering student looking at a 2009 Graduation.....sothen. mayba I could afford a "lightly" used gen 7 Maxima. My question to ya'l ll is, what do you think the 6th gen Maxima should be both styling, platform, and performance wise?

RWD preferred
Much power
Must supersede the '95 Maxima in EVERY repect.......

I think we can all agree on at least that much....
Old 07-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

every year everyone hopes the next gen is RWD and it has yet to happen.

maybe one day people will catch on
Old 07-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Kevlo for President

I think you would be happier with a used M35/G35 by then. Since Maxima costs keep increasing every generation, might as well get a car that will have good dealer service.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ArcticW
Hey ....I'm an engineering student looking at a 2009 Graduation.....sothen. mayba I could afford a "lightly" used gen 7 Maxima. My question to ya'l ll is, what do you think the 6th gen Maxima should be both styling, platform, and performance wise?

RWD preferred
Much power

Where are you going to school? I'm going to be heading up to Rochester Inst. of Tech in the fall and studying Automotive Engineering, aiming for a 2010 grad date (we're a five year program where 15 mos. is spent with companies coop'ing and getting their salary )
Old 07-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by ArcticW

RWD preferred
Much power

All wheel drive preferred

More Power, More power (don't have to be an engineering student to figure that one out)

The 6th Gen already supersedes the 95 Max in every aspect (not disrespecting, but TRUE...)

And I would prefer a design engineer who can properly spell and word his grammar so it makes sense...
Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
Where are you going to school? I'm going to be heading up to Rochester Inst. of Tech in the fall and studying Automotive Engineering, aiming for a 2010 grad date (we're a five year program where 15 mos. is spent with companies coop'ing and getting their salary )
hey man rochester is my hometown and i'm at RIT just about day. you should deff hit me up when u get here. i can show u around and what not. lemme know if ur interested.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:10 PM
The original VQ...

hopefully the 7th gen is sick, cause by that time my bike should be paid off and i will be in the market for a new car once my 99 is 10years old.

I want lots of power, the room of a big caddy, 1/4 mile in the 13's and lots of neat gadgets to play with in the car like the new bimmers.

o and awd, ( not a fan of rear cause of new england weather)
Old 07-20-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
The 6th Gen already supersedes the 95 Max in every aspect (not disrespecting, but TRUE...)
I don't really have a problem with the 6th gen styling, but I prefer the interior of 4th and 5th gens. I would pick a 2003 over a 2004 if I were looking for a recent car.

Biggest problem with 6th gens is that they weight 3500 lbs...
Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 PM

i hope its less of an egg shape. no fat butt bumpers, horizontal head lights instead of vertical, something more on the sporty side, stock 18's, at least 285hp, nicer colors...6th gen has some of dullest colors imo. only color i think it really looks hot in is black or silver.

oh and ditch that tooth grille. try to make the car infiniti quality but with a nissan badge....like the avalon. that car is just a few upgrades away from bein a lexus.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:18 AM

All wheel drive preferred
For the 7th gen, Maxima should be......DISCONTINUED.

The 6th gen is very lost in its segment, ranked 12/12 of sports sedans (does it even belong in that category?), has nothing special and is very pricey (of course it's the high list/high discount marketing strategy).

If you look at the current Popular Science, it says two things about AWD. There are only 2 cases in which it has an advantage--when you are trying to start in mud or snow, and under high performance driving applying throttle. In other words, the only time AWD can help is when throttle is being applied. Otherwise, besides putting more weight in the rear of a FWD car, it has no advantage. Once again, it's a myth as big as the getting more mpgs by using higher octane fuel. WRX STi and Evo are perfect examples of where AWD can be used advantageously. Nissan Pathfinder vs. Honda Pilot is an example of where the Nissan makes more sense.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Dont reallycare what the 7th gen looks like, but maybe they should make it look like the Asian Nissan Teana (Cefiro replacement) for the 6.5 gen!! unless they want to bring the Nissan Teana over as the I35 like they did with Cefiros
Old 07-21-2005, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by JClaw
I don't really have a problem with the 6th gen styling, but I prefer the interior of 4th and 5th gens. I would pick a 2003 over a 2004 if I were looking for a recent car.

Biggest problem with 6th gens is that they weight 3500 lbs...
Styling is not an issue, because that's a matter of taste (that includes the interior), I like the styling of 4th and 5th gens too, I just happen to have a 6th gen and I feel the styling is moving forward with future cars and concepts. As time goes by and more and more 2nd 3rd, 4th & 5th gens get put to bed, the Max community numbers liking the styling of the 6th gens will grow.

ArcticW comment were "Must supersede the '95 Maxima in EVERY respect......." And hands down the 6th gen does that. Hopefully 7th gens will keep moving forward as well in design, styling and performance (God forbid some chucklehead designer at Nissan tries to roll back the MAX in a way like Ford did in the 70's with the Mustang II's ).

Yes, they upped the weight, however they upper the Hp and torque too compensate, so the 6th Gens and hopefully the 7th gens will continue to be a fast running, people moving, luxury sports sedan. I think when you look at the overall comments on the Org, we all want the same things, progress and improvements. Later Bro…
Old 07-21-2005, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
For the 7th gen, Maxima should be......DISCONTINUED.

The 6th gen is very lost in its segment, ranked 12/12 of sports sedans (does it even belong in that category?), has nothing special and is very pricey (of course it's the high list/high discount marketing strategy).

If you look at the current Popular Science, it says two things about AWD. There are only 2 cases in which it has an advantage--when you are trying to start in mud or snow, and under high performance driving applying throttle. In other words, the only time AWD can help is when throttle is being applied. Otherwise, besides putting more weight in the rear of a FWD car, it has no advantage. Once again, it's a myth as big as the getting more mpgs by using higher octane fuel. WRX STi and Evo are perfect examples of where AWD can be used advantageously. Nissan Pathfinder vs. Honda Pilot is an example of where the Nissan makes more sense.
May be ranked 12/12 in 1 book and 4 of 12 in others, the thing your missing is that it's ranked, their are way more classes of sports sedans that didn't even make the list so that is an accomplishment in itself. Also when you read the reviews, the Max although 12th still outperformed the other sedans in other areas and it's those PROS that sold me...

Those same reviewers said the Fiero was a hot car back in the day, haven't seen one on the road in 15 years. Reviews are not the word of "GOD", they are opinions that I can disagree with. Just because a guy doing a review for a car mag gets to drive it for 2 days does not mean I am sold on what he has to say, I can make up my own mind.

As for AWD, you gave enough good examples of why I do like it so I won't even address it, in the end it's all about individual taste, you like tea, I like coffee, it's all still good though... PEACE
Old 07-21-2005, 05:17 AM

I like the direction they are taking with the Infiniti M series. Why not get those designers to design a new Max? Or are they all the same designers???
Old 07-21-2005, 06:08 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by TXT-1
I like the direction they are taking with the Infiniti M series. Why not get those designers to design a new Max? Or are they all the same designers???

Well only North America has our ugly Maxima, everyone else has the Teana
Old 07-21-2005, 07:23 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by Kevlo911

got some pics? i wanna see what the differance is?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 AM

http://auto.sohu.com/piclib/renault/...n_Teana005.jpg
i dont like the teana.

the 6th gen is great and chernmax is right about the whole ranking stuff. 6th gen is sweet and chernmax's is one of the best looking by far.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
i dont like the teana.

the 6th gen is great and chernmax is right about the whole ranking stuff. 6th gen is sweet and chernmax's is one of the best looking by far.
Thanks for the feedback, however as stated before, I still get impressed at shows and meets at some of the superb accomplishmets that I have seen in every generation of Max. Since I can't own every gen of Max, I will just have to endure the likes and dislikes of the 6th Gen an be absolutely happy with it. Old, New, Modded or Stock, it's all good to me...
Old 07-21-2005, 08:46 AM

ok i dont think nissan will change the max to RWD cause that would conflict with their interests on the g35 side since they would both be in the same class and also same price range
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 AM
GrandPa

I don't think my Max is ugly. I not even worrying about the '07. I am enjoying my ride today. Later Warren

Old 07-21-2005, 10:10 AM

Its ok and not that attractive.

I dont care what the next gen maxima is like. I want a big fan of the styling on the 6th, and more than likely there going to make sure the 7th gen is truely a family car. I dont plan to own another FF car anyway
Old 07-21-2005, 10:53 AM

My .o2 is that Nissan Eng come here and listen to us all for our .02.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

Didn't you get the memo? It's gonna be V8 and rwd.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:07 AM
dot dot dot ...

You have to donate to get the memeo ..
Old 07-21-2005, 11:40 AM

i dont like the teana.

To me, it looks like a VW Passat....
Old 07-21-2005, 12:08 PM
SuPeRmOd

Teana is nice and all (a few features that would be great) but I wouldn't have an 04 if the 6th was a Teana.
Max is mostly sold in the NE so RWD is unlikely. It has always been a higher performance family car, not a sports car. We just mod them into them.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

More maximas are sold in the NE? You have regional sales numbers?

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Teana is nice and all (a few features that would be great) but I wouldn't have an 04 if the 6th was a Teana.
Max is mostly sold in the NE so RWD is unlikely. It has always been a higher performance family car, not a sports car. We just mod them into them.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
More maximas are sold in the NE? You have regional sales numbers?
of course i do
that's what Nissan told me over the phone anyway prove me wrong with a dyno... i mean graph.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
The is a direct quote from Nissan "Nissan refers to the Maxima as the "original four-door sports car," and it's easy to see why once you get behind the wheel.

And yes, more Nissan are sold in the NE, but heck, more Nissans are stolen in the SouthWest, who cares, it's just numbers...
Old 07-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Maxima, Altima, Sentra sold in North America are disigned here in sunny Southern California and has been for about 10 years, including 350Z. Like many other imports sold in US.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

So the 4th gen was designed there?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:51 PM

May be ranked 12/12 in 1 book and 4 of 12 in others, the thing your missing is that it's ranked, their are way more classes of sports sedans that didn't even make the list so that is an accomplishment in itself. Also when you read the reviews, the Max although 12th still outperformed the other sedans in other areas and it's those PROS that sold me...

Those same reviewers said the Fiero was a hot car back in the day, haven't seen one on the road in 15 years. Reviews are not the word of "GOD", they are opinions that I can disagree with. Just because a guy doing a review for a car mag gets to drive it for 2 days does not mean I am sold on what he has to say, I can make up my own mind.

As for AWD, you gave enough good examples of why I do like it so I won't even address it, in the end it's all about individual taste, you like tea, I like coffee, it's all still good though... PEACE
Fiero? I don't think some of our dads even had that gleam in their eyes when the Fiero existed. But from what I heard it was junk.

You're right, we have people called contrarians. When the DAQ hits a 4-yr. high they're still comfortable with their short positions and proclaim the sky is falling. Thing is, unless we're rich, we really can't afford to make a wrong decision like the car we buy. Because unless we lease, we're stuck with that decision for a good 5-10 years. So if the car ranks 12/12 but you're happy with it, that's the most important thing. As they say, it's your wooden nickel! As I mentioned, I don't like the high list high discount way. I'd prefer to get only $500 to $800 off list, and have the high residual.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:09 PM

Southern Illinois Univerity @ Carbondale. AWESOME .
Old 07-21-2005, 03:20 PM

if you want a RWD why the heck are you people waiting for nissan to come out with it!
go buy a car with RWD.............that's what i did....i hate waiting.....put out or shut up
Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 PM

wow i'm really late sorry..but man, that is where i REALLY wanted to go! (RIT) i may still but i'm not sure..i dont want to have to pay out of state tuition...i was going to move up there this year but the living expenses are waaay more than they are down here so i couldn't...

anyway, i really dont know what to expect for the 7th gen (that just sounds weird..) but if it's anything like the 6th gen is (no offense to all you 6th gen owners out there...i just dont like them) , then i think this'll sadly be my last max..
Old 07-21-2005, 04:28 PM

I think you would be happier with a used M35/G35 by then. Since Maxima costs keep increasing every generation, might as well get a car that will have good dealer service.
Dealer Service...reminds me of phrases like JUmbo Shrimp...
Old 07-21-2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by chenzarino
Dealer Service...reminds me of phrases like JUmbo Shrimp...
If you've never experienced Infiniti service, you have no idea what Kevlo means. It's like night and day. I don't get it because Nissan/Infiniti are same company....
Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 PM

Well you do pay a lot more for an Infinit than a Nissan usually atleast there is a more luxury name attached to it. just like toyota/lexus
Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxilvr06
wow i'm really late sorry..but man, that is where i REALLY wanted to go! (RIT) i may still but i'm not sure..i dont want to have to pay out of state tuition...i was going to move up there this year but the living expenses are waaay more than they are down here so i couldn't...

anyway, i really dont know what to expect for the 7th gen (that just sounds weird..) but if it's anything like the 6th gen is (no offense to all you 6th gen owners out there...i just dont like them) , then i think this'll sadly be my last max..
Don't expect any refunds on your Org membership...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:02 PM

Don't expect any refunds on your Org membership...
don't worry...i'll still have my 5.5 a looong time from now

Quick Reply: What Generation 7 should be.....