General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4th to 5th Gen Intake Manifold Swap Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Anachronism

Even in second gear the MEVI will not be showing an advantage until 60+MPH (I think).
That's only if you don't have any other mods to compensate for the slight drop in HP in the lower rpm's.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by deezo
That's only if you don't have any other mods to compensate for the slight drop in HP in the lower rpm's.
Any mods that would increase power in the lower RPM would be an improvement for either manifold.

For example - If you where to add a Y pipe to a USIM max and a MEVI max they would both see the same increase through the powerband so the USIM would always be ahead in the lower RPM ranges (and the MEVI in the upper RPM ranges). So A Y pipe might bring the MEVI up to USIM levels in the lower RPM ranges but it would also improve a USIM Max in the lower RPM range giving the USIM Max approximatly the same advantage it had before the Y-pipe was added.

Edit - Unless you know of a mod that will show gains the MEVI Max but not for the USIM Max.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:25 AM

Compare this to the difference of the MEVI vs. USIM, almost no difference in 1/4 mile time (some have seen ~.1 sec improvement) and ~1-2MPH higher trap speed. The identical times yet higher trap speed indicate that the MEVI is showing it's advantage at higher speeds and the USIM at lower speeds. I would rather have the advantage at lower speeds.

The .3-.5 second difference with the 5th gen VI is much more significant.

Max_Gator, when you say the (5th gen) VI does not show its true benefit until 5500 RPM it's a bit decieving. With the VI working the 5th gen is already making ~20 more HP at 5500 RPM , The 4th gen MEVI is just starting to show an advantage at 5500 RPM. The 5th Gen VI begins to show more power imediatly at 5000 RPM. Someody please figure this swap out

Here is Max_Gators dyno showing VI working Vs. VI Not working (hope you don't mind me linking it) - http://web.tampabay.rr.com/maxgator/oldVSrecent.BMP

Don't get me wrong, for some people this mod might be worth it (especially if you can get an ECU upgrade), but for the way I use my Max I would rather have the stock inake manifold even if the MEVI was free
Don't mind you linking at all.

I haven't studied the 4th gen VI dynos much until looking at these.

I am surprised. On the 5th gen, the dyno plot below 5500 is EXACTLY the same regardless of whether the vias is enabled or disabled (excluding variations from one dyno day to another as in the one of mine to which you linked).

On the 4th gen, that doesn't seem to be the case - the mevi seems to be lower throughout until 6000 or so. Perhaps that is why nissan moved to the composite intake manifold despite its obvious repair limitations.

From that, I tend to agree with you.

One dyno I've never done but wished I had several times is one with the vias set on the shorter intake runners the whole time instead of just at 5500 rpms.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:29 PM
SLOW

I take it from the last post that the VIM on the 5th gen is activated at approximately 5500rpm as well? The reason the 5th gen VIM is superior in all RPM ranges is it's true dual runner design. The MEVI does not have 2 sets of runners, the opening of the secondary plenum effectively shortens the length of the runners, but not effectively as short as the 5th gen short runners, hence even more high RPM power from the 5th gen VIM. At low RPM, the MEVI in the closed position functions as a set of long runners, increasing low and midrange torque. But they aren't as "long" as the 5th gen long runners are, hence more low end grunt from the 5th gen than an MEVI 4th gen.

These are the differences in a nutshell.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I take it from the last post that the VIM on the 5th gen is activated at approximately 5500rpm as well? The reason the 5th gen VIM is superior in all RPM ranges is it's true dual runner design. The MEVI does not have 2 sets of runners, the opening of the secondary plenum effectively shortens the length of the runners, but not effectively as short as the 5th gen short runners, hence even more high RPM power from the 5th gen VIM. At low RPM, the MEVI in the closed position functions as a set of long runners, increasing low and midrange torque. But they aren't as "long" as the 5th gen long runners are, hence more low end grunt from the 5th gen than an MEVI 4th gen.

These are the differences in a nutshell.
I am almost positive that the VI on the 5th gen opens at 5000 RPM. If you look at Max_Gators dyno VI vs. no VI the VI power begins to build at 5000 RPM and by 5500 RPM the diffence is already 20 HP.

I agree with you that the 5th gen intake is better because it is a true dual runner design. My guess on the reason for the MEVI low end power loss is that the butterflys for the secondary plenum somehow cause turbulance or restriction in the intake runner.

I wonder if the long runners on the 5th Gen intake are longer than the runners on th 4th gen USIM and that gives it some of the low end power advantage?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Save me the trouble of searching please, but...

what are the major hurdles to doing this?

Has it been attempted and failed?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2003, 04:16 PM
SLOW

Re: Save me the trouble of searching please, but...

Originally posted by IceY2K1
what are the major hurdles to doing this?

Has it been attempted and failed?

Thanks in advance!
You can't fit the 5th gen IM under a 4th gen hood, that's a major one.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:36 PM

Re: Re: Save me the trouble of searching please, but...

Originally posted by Nealoc187

You can't fit the 5th gen IM under a 4th gen hood, that's a major one.
I believe this is correct. It seems to be taller. The TB is in a different location also, but that is not such a big deal.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Old Timer

Hood height is not a problem. Even though the plenum is taller, it should still fit at least with slight rubbing. If the 5th gen strut bar will fit, which it will, then the plenum should still fit underneath. I've got a 5th gen strut bar on my 4th gen, and it rubs slightly despite the fact it appears to be about an inch too tall.

David
Old 02-24-2003, 11:01 PM

I am almost positive that the VI on the 5th gen opens at 5000 RPM. If you look at Max_Gators dyno VI vs. no VI the VI power begins to build at 5000 RPM and by 5500 RPM the diffence is already 20 HP.

I agree with you that the 5th gen intake is better because it is a true dual runner design. My guess on the reason for the MEVI low end power loss is that the butterflys for the secondary plenum somehow cause turbulance or restriction in the intake runner.

I wonder if the long runners on the 5th Gen intake are longer than the runners on th 4th gen USIM and that gives it some of the low end power advantage?
5th gens open at 5000 not 5500. I transposed the number.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:06 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by d_warner
Hood height is not a problem. Even though the plenum is taller, it should still fit at least with slight rubbing. If the 5th gen strut bar will fit, which it will, then the plenum should still fit underneath. I've got a 5th gen strut bar on my 4th gen, and it rubs slightly despite the fact it appears to be about an inch too tall.

David
isnt a carbon fiber hood higher because its thinner or i would be willing to cut the webbing under the hood. Too bad sombody like cattman,jim wolf doesnt see the potential of this.I would put down 700 or 800 dollers for this setup.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:03 AM
SLOW

The CF hood has much more room, probably on the order of 1.5 inches because there is no supporting structure or heat sheilding at the area where the manifold is.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:20 AM

Ok....so

The fuel injectors and fuel rail are the same, right?

The TB position shouldn't be that difficult to change, since it's just cables.

Is there something else, because if hood clearance is the biggest issue, I'd go with a COWL hood to clear. The 5th gen VIAS is controlled via vacuum and an ECU signal at 5K rpms, so with a Harlan switch or custom JWT ECU w/output signal, it should be possible.

4th gens. light weight + VIAS + JWT 7000-7200rpm ECU
Old 02-25-2003, 11:36 AM

Old 02-25-2003, 03:12 PM
Keven97SE

Re: Ok....so

Nope, the 5th gen uses totally different fuel injectors and fuel rail than the 4th gen...top feed instead of side feed. Don't know if the 4th gen injectors can be used on a 5th gen manifold, don't know if the 5th gen injectors can be used with the 4th gen connectors. Also different on the 5th gen manifold: idle air assembly is completely different (idle valve, A/C comensation valve, P/S compensation valve), canister purge control valve is different, EGR connection is different, throttle body is different.

Heck, just about EVERYTHING that bolts up to the intake manifold is different between the 4th and 5th gens. Whether or not the 5th gen manifold physically fits the 4th gen is only one and a relatively minor detail.

Originally posted by IceY2K1
The fuel injectors and fuel rail are the same, right?

The TB position shouldn't be that difficult to change, since it's just cables.

Is there something else, because if hood clearance is the biggest issue, I'd go with a COWL hood to clear. The 5th gen VIAS is controlled via vacuum and an ECU signal at 5K rpms, so with a Harlan switch or custom JWT ECU w/output signal, it should be possible.

4th gens. light weight + VIAS + JWT 7000-7200rpm ECU

Old 02-25-2003, 03:50 PM

Re: Re: Ok....so

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Nope, the 5th gen uses totally different fuel injectors and fuel rail than the 4th gen...top feed instead of side feed. Don't know if the 4th gen injectors can be used on a 5th gen manifold, don't know if the 5th gen injectors can be used with the 4th gen connectors. Also different on the 5th gen manifold: idle air assembly is completely different (idle valve, A/C comensation valve, P/S compensation valve), canister purge control valve is different, EGR connection is different, throttle body is different.

Heck, just about EVERYTHING that bolts up to the intake manifold is different between the 4th and 5th gens. Whether or not the 5th gen manifold physically fits the 4th gen is only one and a relatively minor detail.

That makes more sense. I knew it couldn't have been simply hood clearance.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: Ok....so

Originally posted by Keven97SE

Yep, I saw this two years ago when I compared Russ' 01 SE to my 96 SE. Everyone told me I was full of crap and the 5th manifold would work on the 4th gen

As for hood clearance, the 5th gen manifold would most definately rub the 4th gen hood and when you factor in how much the VQ moves up and down in it's mounts, you're going to have a hood that looks like it's breathing...up and down.

Dave
Old 01-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Keven97SE

I keep reading this over and over. I dont see ANY of those things as being a problem?
First thing use the entire engine , but swap all 4 gen electronics that can be done. Use all the 4 gen valves and egr parts for 5 gen manifold.( I have access to aircraft grade epoxy resin and plastic reinforced composites.) Solution cutoff the hookups on the 4 gen intake manifold ,then epoxy these things to 5 gen manifold . Then direct hookups!. Also some of those things arent even needed.
I probably wouldnt switch some things ,actually most things A/C compensation valve?I dont understand the big problem with this?
Hood problem carbon fiber for clearence ,also really good motor mounts to keep engine from moving and last hammer for firewall if needed
To me the pathfinder TB on my car was quite easy. Im sure if i worried about the cold idle valve on the TB i would have not done it. So it was totaly deleted and to my amazement i could tell no difference between having and not having it.
If you have anything you would like to add or flame feel free. And if you have helpful knowledge thats even better.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:31 AM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by Frezny
This thread is trying to compare the 4th gen's "lack" of high end RPM HP with the 5th gen's ability to compensate. Most seem to think this is the "only" difference between the motors with the exception less agressive cam design. While all this discussion is geared around the difference in HP, has anyone thought about the 4th gen tourque curve vs the 5th gen tourque plateau?

Dont 99-01's have the aggresive cams. But anyways, witch 5th Gen are you guys talking bout, 00-01, or 02-03>??!?!?!

I know the 00's almost the same manifold, its just heat coated or something
Old 01-23-2004, 10:35 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Dont 99-01's have the aggresive cams. But anyways, witch 5th Gen are you guys talking bout, 00-01, or 02-03>??!?!?!

I know the 00's almost the same manifold, its just heat coated or something
they are comparing the vq30de (95-99) to the v30de-k (00-01)

the 02-03's have a different engine (vq35de).. and its a whole other story trying to get things from that engine onto a 4th gen
Old 01-23-2004, 10:43 AM
be the change u want2C

Originally Posted by krismax
I keep reading this over and over. I dont see ANY of those things as being a problem?
First thing use the entire engine , but swap all 4 gen electronics that can be done. Use all the 4 gen valves and egr parts for 5 gen manifold.( I have access to aircraft grade epoxy resin and plastic reinforced composites.) Solution cutoff the hookups on the 4 gen intake manifold.
When I made my custom intake I asked my airplane mechanic uncle for some of his stuff. Basically the stuff is retarded, it got so HOT so quickly, But it stayed in place, I was amased it didnt melt and go in My engine
Old 01-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

This was all before the whole MEVI discovery....

Originally Posted by Larrio
they are comparing the vq30de (95-99) to the v30de-k (00-01)

the 02-03's have a different engine (vq35de).. and its a whole other story trying to get things from that engine onto a 4th gen
Old 01-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

die thread die
Old 01-23-2004, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
die thread die
Why waste your time with the 5th gen inatke mainfold when 4th gens has the proven MEVI intake mainfold.

Just my .02 cents
Eric
Old 01-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Hooooooonda.....

You obviously don't know the difference between the MEVI and the 5th gen manifold. If you did you would've known that posting that will just start another fight.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by EZEMaxima
Why waste your time with the 5th gen inatke mainfold when 4th gens has the proven MEVI intake mainfold.

Just my .02 cents
Eric
Maybe the fact that a 5th gen intake manifold would be much easier to find, and possibly cheaper than an MEVI..
Old 01-24-2004, 03:14 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by ImStockBaby
Maybe the fact that a 5th gen intake manifold would be much easier to find, and possibly cheaper than an MEVI..
not only that, although mevi works very similar to the 5th gen builtin mevi, i heard the horsepower curve was still a little different, like the 5th gen curve was a little smoother...they have a short and long head osmething something? i dont know the terminology but i think the 5th gen VI setup is still better than the 4th gen japanese VI. Something i read proved this but i forgot where...

for the little hp difference from USVI and 5th gen VI, i dont think its worth checking out anyway....
Old 01-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by meccanoble
not only that, although mevi works very similar to the 5th gen builtin mevi, i heard the horsepower curve was still a little different, like the 5th gen curve was a little smoother...they have a short and long head osmething something? i dont know the terminology but i think the 5th gen VI setup is still better than the 4th gen japanese VI. Something i read proved this but i forgot where...

for the little hp difference from USVI and 5th gen VI, i dont think its worth checking out anyway....
Im not looking at a few measly ponies ,im looking at where they are. Doesnt the 2000 have peak HP around redline . With aftermarket cams i can see the sweet 8000rpm.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:00 AM

wow someone sure dug deep here

FYI, the 5th gen VIAS manifold is actuated mechanically (it contains butterfly valves inside the manifold which switch between the two runners), but the mechanical actuation is done by a vacuum diaphragm (Power Valve), who receives its vacuum signal inside some cast assembly on the plenum where it's bolted to... basically there's a vacuum tank on the driver-side end of the plenum, which has an internal route to the Power Valve, but there's also a fresh-air vent to the Power Valve, and the VIAS Control Solenoid switches the Power Valve between those two sources (vacuum vs. fresh-air). The whole assembly looks like one big molded thing (Power Valve, vacuum tank, VIAS and Swirl Control [unrelated] solenoid/vacuum routing box, with all vacuum & fresh-air routes implemented inside) This VIAS Control Solenoid can be activated by any +12V signal to my knowledge, so a simple RPM switch can be used to actuate it. In fact, I've considered toying with that for ****s & giggles... (changing my 2K's VIAS opening parameters to see what happens if I open it at, say, 4000 instead)
Old 01-24-2004, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by spirilis
wow someone sure dug deep here

FYI, the 5th gen VIAS manifold is actuated mechanically (it contains butterfly valves inside the manifold which switch between the two runners), but the mechanical actuation is done by a vacuum diaphragm (Power Valve), who receives its vacuum signal inside some cast assembly on the plenum where it's bolted to... basically there's a vacuum tank on the driver-side end of the plenum, which has an internal route to the Power Valve, but there's also a fresh-air vent to the Power Valve, and the VIAS Control Solenoid switches the Power Valve between those two sources (vacuum vs. fresh-air). The whole assembly looks like one big molded thing (Power Valve, vacuum tank, VIAS and Swirl Control [unrelated] solenoid/vacuum routing box, with all vacuum & fresh-air routes implemented inside) This VIAS Control Solenoid can be activated by any +12V signal to my knowledge, so a simple RPM switch can be used to actuate it. In fact, I've considered toying with that for ****s & giggles... (changing my 2K's VIAS opening parameters to see what happens if I open it at, say, 4000 instead)
That sounds badass... Let us know how it goes. Nothing like an almost free mod to help out your fellow org'ers.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by h2kFrosty
That sounds badass... Let us know how it goes. Nothing like an almost free mod to help out your fellow org'ers.
I have experimented with connecting a hand vacuum pump to the VIAS fresh air inlet, and applying vacuum so the VIAS stays open all the time... definitely loses low-end torque, so that's not so good. But I'd need some kind of RPM switch first, and it's not like I wanna spend any halfass amount of $$ on this
Old 01-25-2004, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Big D
You obviously don't know the difference between the MEVI and the 5th gen manifold. If you did you would've known that posting that will just start another fight.
ImStockBaby.... "Maybe the fact that a 5th gen intake manifold would be much easier to find, and possibly cheaper than an MEVI.."

Big D.... I know the main difference between the MEVI and the 5th gen manifold that in the 5th , there two(2) seperate runners compare to the MEVI having only an increase in air volume due to the increase airspace once its activated.
Did you know that????

ImStockBaby..... even if it's easily available and maybe cheaper.. this thread speak for itself...has anyone done it yet???
Old 01-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Well actually yes I did. You however obviously didn't and just dug deep to find it, 2 days after I made my post.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by EZEMaxima
Why waste your time with the 5th gen intake manifold when 4th gens has the proven MEVI intake manifold.

Just my .02 cents
Eric
Assuming the 5th gen intake manifold will raise the 4th gen HP close to 5th gen levels it is obvious it is far superior. At 5500 RPM the 5th gen IM is giving a 20 HP benefit while the MEVI is showing a 0 HP improvement. Due to the low end loss with the MEVI there is little if any increase in average HP. In my opinion the MEVI is only worth it for those who can get the JWT ECU (with extended redline) or automatics that benefit because of their wider spaced gears.

The 5th gen intake manifold can probably be gotten from a junkyard fairly reasonably or at least bought from a dealer without dealing with importing them.

Obviously there are some major hurdles to overcome to install a 5th gen IM on a 4th Gen and it may never be cost effective. Still looking at the potential gains of this I am surprised nobody has at least made an attempt at the swap. There is a guy who put a 3.5 in a 2k Max and even someone who stuffed a Maxima V6 into a previous generation Altima, yet no one has attempted this
Old 01-26-2004, 07:20 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Anachronism
Assuming the 5th gen intake manifold will raise the 4th gen HP close to 5th gen levels it is obvious it is far superior. At 5500 RPM the 5th gen IM is giving a 20 HP benefit while the MEVI is showing a 0 HP improvement. Due to the low end loss with the MEVI there is little if any increase in average HP. In my opinion the MEVI is only worth it for those who can get the JWT ECU (with extended redline) or automatics that benefit because of their wider spaced gears.

The 5th gen intake manifold can probably be gotten from a junkyard fairly reasonably or at least bought from a dealer without dealing with importing them.

Obviously there are some major hurdles to overcome to install a 5th gen IM on a 4th Gen and it may never be cost effective. Still looking at the potential gains of this I am surprised nobody has at least made an attempt at the swap. There is a guy who put a 3.5 in a 2k Max and even someone who stuffed a Maxima V6 into a previous generation Altima, yet no one has attempted this
Im in the process of doing this , but the only snag or holdup is not having enough info. I want to know do i need the 2000 lower intake manifold with fuel rails and injectors and if i do will these plug into 4th gen connectors. These are my only hurdles i have solved everything help . I cant believe nobody has even tried this . All i here are guesses not solid leads. If i can bolt it to my 96 without lower intake manifold probs i'am all set. If i just need to bolt the 2000 lower intake manifold with rails and injectors and just connect to my connectors i will be golden this way also. But nobody seems to know anything. Thank you
Old 01-26-2004, 08:07 AM
I am Roid Rage

Putting the 5th gen manifold on would be a huge benefit to us 99.5 SE-L's who will never have the JWT ECU. I think there might even be a possibility that a 2K-2K1 ECU might plug into our harness and help to eliminate some hassle.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by h2kFrosty
yeah, that does sound like a good idea. One of my older brothers has an old '94 SHO that he tinkers around with and he has the variable intake set up to where he can switch it open when ever he wants.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by CullenJ76
yeah, that does sound like a good idea. One of my older brothers has an old '94 SHO that he tinkers around with and he has the variable intake set up to where he can switch it open when ever he wants.
That's what I was thinking of doing... installing a small switch in an inconspicuous part of the interior which switches a relay that switches the VIAS Control Solenoid on w/o the ECU's signal being present.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:13 PM

First things first, 4th gens and 5th gens don't share the same type of fuel injectors, I'm not referring to just the size of the injectors, but the actual type(saturated vs peak'n'hold) You would have to cross reference the part numbers for the 4th gen heads vs 5th gen heads, then the 4th gen lower intake manifold vs 5th gen lower intake manifold.

TK
Old 01-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've given up on the swap long ago. I'd just like to see someone cough,coughFrostycough,cough do what I was talking about. Experimenting with the opening point on the VIAS

Quick Reply: 4th to 5th Gen Intake Manifold Swap Information