General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima VS. Deer

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 02:02 PM

Maxima VS. Deer

Yup, it really happened. I was driving on some back roads about 1 mile from my house. Cruising about 45mph when I see a deer coming from the left. His head hit my drivers side front panel and his tail in whipped around hitting my drivers door and his foot came through the glass and kicked me in the face. I received 3 stiches above my eye and 2 stiches on the cheek. The outside mirror was sitting in my lap along with 10 pounds of glass. The interior of the car is completely covered in glass and I'm not sure how I'll ever get it all out. My left eye is really swollen and I'll probably end up with two black eyes. Anyway, I guess it could have been worse, luckly I didn't loose my eye or get hit in the temple. I'd post pics but I don't know how.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear about your Maxima, but glad that you are ok.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to know that you are ok. Did the deer survive? You need to find a place that will host the pictures such as yahoo or some other free webspace. once you have the pics posted there you will click on the "go advanced" tab in the response box below and there are icons at the top of the page. You will click on the phot one and it will prompt you to enter a html address. You will provide the link to where the picture is hosted.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:30 PM

msoemax, for some reason i highly doubt that the deer survived...
Old 04-15-2005, 03:11 PM

Good Deer Story

I feel your pain, I was accosted by one of thouse four legged a@!holes last year in my old car. My accident was equaly as painfull. Long story, after I hit the deer I was going to move it off the busy road it was on, well I started dragging it by it's hind legs and then that thing started to wake up. He kicked me in the Ba!ls. I hate deer.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 PM

Not sure if the deer survived. She ran after hitting the car but the woods next to the road were so thick you couldn't even go looking. I would imagine she's dead.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

j/k, glad your ok. Really though, post some pics....
Old 04-15-2005, 05:22 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

photobucket.com log in for free and upload your pics there.... once on copy the "IMG" link and paste them here...
Old 04-15-2005, 05:31 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident man. But at least your ok. Just think one day when everything is settled down, you and your friends can talk about how you got knocked out by a deer. J/K
Old 04-15-2005, 06:48 PM

Sad situation, ameliorated only by the fact you survived.

We have had two deer-auto deaths within the past year in the county where I live (south of Atlanta), and we average 865 deer-auto collisions per year. And this is a small county (less than 200 square miles).

My last deer collision was mid-December 2003, and it took over a month to get my Maxima repaired. I was in my 2000 SE that night. So far, my '04 SL has escaped such an indignity.

There is presently a dead deer in our west meadow, about 50 feet from the highway, and one in a ditch about a hundred yards east of our driveway. Part of the pain of living in the country.

We had four deer race alongside us on a backroad Thursday evening. They were in full panic mode. Most folks don't realize just how fast deer can run. They have absolutely no judgement as to simply staying out of the road, or away from vehicles.

My worst deer encounter was, ironically, about twenty miles west of Mobile (where the accident that started this thread happened). We were eastbound in my wife's truck at 72 mph (on cruise control) just after midnight on a Saturday night. We finally reached Mobile five hours later, riding in the cab of a wrecker. The details are far too sordid to post here.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:02 PM

Slightly off topic but my last ride after hitting a kangaroo at 140kph...

Mind was able to drive on for 150km till the next service station , with no aircon or Powersteering ...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...67/Kanga11.jpg
Old 04-15-2005, 09:03 PM

I can now post pictures yehoo.... not direct to the site ...but working on that ...
Old 04-15-2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by blackpaladin67
Slightly off topic but my last ride after hitting a kangaroo at 140kph...

Mind was able to drive on for 150km till the next service station , with no aircon or Powersteering ...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...67/Kanga11.jpg
Ouch... that buffed right out though, right?

j/k... I got into a "fender-bender" once and my CLK looked like your C... almost $4k in damages...

Fortunately I haven't had any animal encounters as of yet, although I see plenty of deer when I drive down the Hutch in CT or the GSP on my way to Atlantic City. I think I'll put big-*** spikes on my bumper next time, just in case...
Old 04-15-2005, 10:05 PM

Yup was not a cheep fix and subsequently wrote it off after a causeway gave way during a flood ... I was thinkin maybe it was a little cursed ... Was a nice ride but the new maxima is just a good not as tight handling wise but heaps more beans which more then makes up for it...
Old 04-15-2005, 11:21 PM

would the damage be covered by insurance if so..will the premiun go up as ur fault accident?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:01 AM

05Maxijj - May depend on your agent and/or your insurance company.

Both my deer collisions were covered by State Farm as 'acts of nature' or something like that. No change in premiums.

We now have deer whistles mounted in the grill of each of our vehicles. State Farm recommends them (actually gives them away free), and they are supposed to help by 'freezing' deer in their tracks if you are going over 35 mph.

State Farm has only begun promoting the whistles within the last few years, and my only deer collision since mounting the whistle was when a car going the other way hit a deer, knocked it into the air, and it came down on the hood of my Maxima. I was only going about 30 mph, so the whistle was of no consequence.

My experience with State Farm may not be typical, as I have two cars, a home, and a multi-million umbrella policy with them (at a very reasonable price), and have been with State Farm since 1958.

It may not seem fair, but different insurance companies not only handle the same type incidents differently, but sometimes the same company will handle the same type incident differently with two different customers.

Regardless of what agents may tell you, they have a lot of flexibility in how they treat such things as deer-auto collisions. My wife and I stop by our agent's office every few months just to catch up on what is going on in the insurance business and do what we can to maintain a good relationship with the folks working there. We figure it is 'time well-spent', if you catch my drift.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:55 PM

i know state farms cover parked car accidents full coverage without any premiums..and my accident was hit and run...was covered..
Old 04-16-2005, 06:37 PM

Yikes!

I have to tell you when I drive out west in the winter deer and elk are a big issue. I really have to do all of my driving when it's daylight because in states like AZ once it is dark you can't see anything. If a deer or elk runs out I have no chance at 90 MPH to avoid them.

Sorry to hear about this. Glad your ok. Please post some pictures!

I like the idea of those devices that freeze the deer. That split second could save their lives and your Maxima!
Old 04-16-2005, 06:55 PM
SuPeRmOd

wow, I never even thought aussies had to llok out for Roos. i passed a few deer tonight. they run from the HIDs.

all insurances should cover animals hitting you. as long as you don't swerve to miss it and wreck.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:31 PM

nismomax80...so you are saying that if you swerve to miss an animal and wreck your car, the insurance company should not cover you??? I'm sure that you just worded that response incorrectly.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:34 PM

Someone PLEASE help him with the pics!!

PICS PICS PICS!!

I know your all banged up... but im glad your still okay
Old 04-16-2005, 07:36 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by jc53
nismomax80...so you are saying that if you swerve to miss an animal and wreck your car, the insurance company should not cover you??? I'm sure that you just worded that response incorrectly.
ask them. everyone i've had said, you have to prove the damage is by a deer. think about it. anyone that wrecks could say "i tried to miss the deer but hit this tree"

they want fur, blood, dead deer.... proof it was not your fault. now they may still cover your damage (if no animal) but will hold you at fault fo the accident and increase premiums or drop you.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:41 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

yea, if you hit a deer you have to kill it. I've heard stories of how people have hit a deer and that **** got up and kept going HAHAHAHA.... claim that one..
Old 04-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Unsuccesful STL Coordinator

That scene is crazy. The deer f@cked up your car and to top it off it punched you in the face. That deer doesn't play.
Were you able to control the car to a stop after you were hit?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:12 PM
wat

Wow, this was really my main worry on the drive back from the track last weekend. It was dark and we were going 70mph or so, but I could see deer off to the side of the road walking around.

Glad to see you are ok, it could have been ALOT worse, so dont feel too bad. Atleast insurance covers these things w/o any raised premiums.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
wow, I never even thought aussies had to llok out for Roos. i passed a few deer tonight. they run from the HIDs.

all insurances should cover animals hitting you. as long as you don't swerve to miss it and wreck.
They don't run from HIDs here in Florida. They occasionally cross the highways in small groups. Some people make the mistake of watching the first Deer run into the woods and end up colliding with the Deer that is following the leader of the pack. I almost hit some a few months ago on the way to work. I saw them early enough to do some hard braking from 55 mph. There was 1 mother Deer and 3 smaller Deer in that group.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Go Get a Life!

Glad your alright..

Here all you have to do is click on Browse button and upload your picture that's on your hardrive and copy and paste the URL and post it...Thats it..

http://www.imageshack.us/index.php
Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
They don't run from HIDs here in Florida....
6th gen projectors > reflectors
PA deer > Fl deer
I've had them pass infront of me, but only had to slow. usually at night passing the fields, they stare at me and take off while passing.

what got me off guard was right by my house on a sunny afternoon doing 25... someone was testing their rifle sights. (wooded and open farmland here) I here 2 shots then from between 2 houses 1 deer infront of me 2nd behind me running faster than me driving.

not sure if I prefer the deer or hopping kangoes that could jump on my hood
Old 04-18-2005, 12:45 AM

6th gen projectors > reflectors
PA deer > Fl deer
I've had them pass infront of me, but only had to slow. usually at night passing the fields, they stare at me and take off while passing.

what got me off guard was right by my house on a sunny afternoon doing 25... someone was testing their rifle sights. (wooded and open farmland here) I here 2 shots then from between 2 houses 1 deer infront of me 2nd behind me running faster than me driving.

not sure if I prefer the deer or hopping kangoes that could jump on my hood

Big Red Kangaroos are 6 foot tall and weight like 150 lb and move in big groups like 30-40 seen a Semi trailer hit about 20 in one go once not a very nice sight to say the least , he did even slow down but they have bull bars on the front of em like weighing a ton .. on account of all the moo cows they mow down .. fenced roads are not big on anybodies priority in Australia. Our semi's are called Road Trains as they have like 3-4 trailers behind the prime mover.. passing them is just super fun ..beacuse they are swaying around all over the place..

IN fact if you drive from over a 1000km and dont hit anything bigger then a bird you have been pretty lucky..

MOvie of our locals and our Road Trains

http://www.ipe.nt.gov.au/whatwedo/ro...ommunities.mov
Old 04-18-2005, 02:24 AM

i was on ebaum forums earlier and saw a motorcycle vid. The two riders were doing turns (the ones where the knees are almost touching the floor) and around a corner a fawn or smaller deer ran across the road. The rider hit the deer (which almost incinerated) and he flipped several times with his bike hitting him. Good thing you were in a car; it could have been worse.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:33 AM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
i was on ebaum forums earlier and saw a motorcycle vid. The two riders were doing turns (the ones where the knees are almost touching the floor) and around a corner a fawn or smaller deer ran across the road. The rider hit the deer (which almost incinerated) and he flipped several times with his bike hitting him. Good thing you were in a car; it could have been worse.

Post it I wana see
Old 04-18-2005, 07:18 AM

Yikes! I've had a couple close calls not only with deer but moose! Moose are a big problem here and they are extremely dangerous to hit because of their massive size and weight. I live out in the country and my road has a ton of moose in the summer - you see them lying in the ditch after they've been hit, then hunters take them away for their meat. Occasionally Linx too but they're more rare. People from my town do a lot of their shopping in Duluth MN and Minneapolis and highway 61 on the way down is swarming with deer! My cousin counted a couple hundred last month coming back...I think I'm gonna get some deer/moose whistles for my Maxima this week!!

Glad your okay, those things are so dangerous!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:39 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
They don't run from HIDs here in Florida. They occasionally cross the highways in small groups. Some people make the mistake of watching the first Deer run into the woods and end up colliding with the Deer that is following the leader of the pack. I almost hit some a few months ago on the way to work. I saw them early enough to do some hard braking from 55 mph. There was 1 mother Deer and 3 smaller Deer in that group.
You're right about that.
Getting a ride home one night in my buddy's WRX, I saw a silouhette in the light from opposing traffic, knew it was a deer, and warned the driver. He watched the doe cross, then suddenly a big buck stepped out about 50ft in front of the car. Thankfully the buck had the presence of mind to turn and run from us, or my buddy would have mowed him down.
Maybe I should have said "deers"?

Typing in red sucks by the way.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Northern Maxima
Yikes! I've had a couple close calls not only with deer but moose! Moose are a big problem here and they are extremely dangerous to hit because of their massive size and weight. I live out in the country and my road has a ton of moose in the summer - you see them lying in the ditch after they've been hit, then hunters take them away for their meat. Occasionally Linx too but they're more rare. People from my town do a lot of their shopping in Duluth MN and Minneapolis and highway 61 on the way down is swarming with deer! My cousin counted a couple hundred last month coming back...I think I'm gonna get some deer/moose whistles for my Maxima this week!!

Glad your okay, those things are so dangerous!

Sorry about the accident. Speaking of moose, my dad was driving in Northern Ontario on a hunting trip and a moose walked out onto the road. The 4 runner that my dad was in was totalled, everyone in the car was injured and the darn moose got up, shook itself and walked away...
Old 04-26-2005, 10:41 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

damn, his hoof went through the window and hit your face? that's crazy

im glad you are ok though
Old 04-26-2005, 02:17 PM
XGaSpAcHo

glad to hear you're ok man. i've heard stories where deer have almost destroyed the car after getting hit but were able to just limp away. if you kill the deer, in some states, you're allowed to take it home.

they run from the HIDs.
they don't usualy run from HIDs or any kind of light. thus the saying "deer caught in headlights"

Old 04-26-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
You're right about that.
Getting a ride home one night in my buddy's WRX, I saw a silouhette in the light from opposing traffic, knew it was a deer, and warned the driver. He watched the doe cross, then suddenly a big buck stepped out about 50ft in front of the car. Thankfully the buck had the presence of mind to turn and run from us, or my buddy would have mowed him down.
Maybe I should have said "deers"?

Typing in red sucks by the way.
What color do you prefer?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:34 AM

thats insane, he must have been mad at you, deers punching you in the face suck! glad youre ok.

early this past winter i was riding shotgun in my car with my girlfriend driving........and all the sudden i see this giant thing just out the corner of my eye and this huge deer is running right at the drivers side on an angle....it stopped somehow and started running beside us.....it scared the bejesus out of me and her......he would have come right through the drivers window and fooked us up, glad my gf stomped on the brakes....it was probably a 10 point buck or something, just really big with a big ole rack on its head. I stopped taking that way home for awhile needless to say.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:09 AM

by any chance was it wearing a red hoodie and dark glass's. glad your ok.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:11 AM
XGaSpAcHo

for all those of you that want to get some agression out on the deer...

Quick Reply: Maxima VS. Deer