General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Rate your skills:
There is no one better then I am!
13.65%
I am a good driver, I can hold my own.
69.15%
I am alright...
14.33%
I need improvement, the gas pedal frightens me.
0.92%
I drive like a 90yr old. I love the brake pedal, and use it even when I am pressing the gas.
1.95%
Voters: 872. You may not vote on this poll

How good of a driver do you think YOU are?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hornswoggler
MAX2000JP,

I am just curious...

But what do you advocate for the majority of street drivers here (who don't have racing buddies) that would like to improve their performance driving skills?

Should that person jump into a racing school for $3-4k and drive open wheel race cars for a week or two (14 days?)...

or maybe find a baby step with a $300 HPDE where they can get to better know their own car over the weekend?

(both options assuming the same road course/race track)

To recommend that most ppl here jump straight into a Bondurant or Skip Barber-like racing school is like shooting a rabbit with a bazooka!
I am not telling anyone to not attend a HPDE, just telling them it's not the most extensive way to learn. A HPDE will teach you a limited amount of skills simply because of the lack of ample track time and because of the number of instructors. Bondurant has a 4 day school which teaches you everything from the ground up on a hands on basis. Why not learn from the best?
Old 02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

I consider myself a better than average driver because in emergency situations I always keep my cool. That is not saying I haven't made mistakes. I totaled my AE doin 120 into a wall sideways because I was overcome with emotion at the time and WAS NOT PAYING ATTENTION. Even whan that happened I kept it in MY lane and still used my momentum to pull onto the shoulder. I drive hard alot, I drive fast alot. I am also more careful than I used to be. Balance and smoothness is key, along with knowing what is around you, conditions, and capabilities of YOU and your car.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:34 PM
meh

Originally Posted by Wills98MaxSE
don't forget I-696 & I-275
Mmm......696!! I used to live in Howell, so I'd take that way ALOT on my way in to Farmington Hills, or Novi, or anywhere else. I loved that way....so smooth, and a fast drive! Everybody was on their game. 'Keeping up with traffic' is like, 80-85mph....maybe more depending on the day. Did see quite a few cops though (I noticed they're particularly evil about hanging out under the overpass of where 275 and 96 merge together.....)

Ahh.....good times...good times.....
Old 03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by Rob'sAE
Balance and smoothness is key, along with knowing what is around you.

some ppl on the road find it more important to "sight-see" or talk on thier cell phone, or even fiddle w/ thier CD collection
Old 03-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I actually drive really spirited 90% of the time..but I pay attention to everything around me and while in my car all I do is drive nothing else. beauty of a 5 speed
Old 03-05-2005, 11:36 AM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

I think i can keep my cool when in bad situations, like a truck who pulled out in front of me to turn left (didnt look left just looked right and went) i braked realized wasnt going to stop and found a way out, i took some pressure off the pedal (SLIDING!) and turned right into where he was pulling out just before i hit him... thankfully. I would do anything to go to the BMW M driving school i would love to be taught how to really handle a car when it gets into a bad situation
Old 04-21-2005, 05:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Here are some of the basic points I would like to make:

1 - If you’re going to slow in the left lane, you’ll find out quickly, I’ll be tailgating and honking/flashing my lights to let you know. You better be doing at the bear minimum, 10 mph over the limit, if not, move over. Also, if no one is in front of you, move over anyway because I’m trying to keep my steady pace of 20-30 mph over.

2 - If I want to get into your lane, trust me, I’ll get into your lane at all costs. If you try to keep me from getting into your lane by tailgating the car in front of you, then I’ll just move up and get in front of the car in front of you. No matter what, I’ll be ahead of you and you’ll be pissed.

3 - If there is a long line of cars for an exit or to make a turn, I’ll be cruising down the adjacent lane waiting for that one person to delay moving forward so I can jump in line. If not, I’ll just go up to the front of the line and cut in at the last second.

4 - I don’t let anyone merge in front of me but expect every one of you to let me merge in front of you. I’ll honk and get pissed off if this does not happen every time I’m on the road.

5 - If your car is not at least rolling the moment the light turns green, you’ll get a horn up your ***.

6 - If you’re on the phone and cut me off or something, you’ll get a “get the f|_|ck off the phone a-hole!” out the window.

7 - If you pull out in front of me, I’ll wait until the last possible moment to hit the brakes to give you the illusion I’m about to slam full speed into your door. Then I’ll honk and yell obscenities.

8 - Last but not least: God forbid you don’t know where your going, if your rolling along a single lane semi busy 45 mph road at 20 mph looking for a specific street that could be anywhere for the next 10 miles. I'll be honking and flashing my lights at you to pull over so I can get to my destination before my next birthday. If you don't pull over, or tap your brakes to try to intimidate me, i'll cross over the double yellow and pull in front of you and slam my brakes back at you.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but this is just the way I am.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by passEMonTHErite

1 - If you’re going to slow in the left lane, you’ll find out quickly, I’ll be tailgating and honking/flashing my lights to let you know. You better be doing at the bear minimum, 10 mph over the limit, if not, move over. Also, if no one is in front of you, move over anyway because I’m trying to keep my steady pace of 20-30 mph over.

2 - If I want to get into your lane, trust me, I’ll get into your lane at all costs. If you try to keep me from getting into your lane by tailgating the car in front of you, then I’ll just move up and get in front of the car in front of you. No matter what, I’ll be ahead of you and you’ll be pissed.

3 - If there is a long line of cars for an exit or to make a turn, I’ll be cruising down the adjacent lane waiting for that one person to delay moving forward so I can jump in line. If not, I’ll just go up to the front of the line and cut in at the last second.

4 - I don’t let anyone merge in front of me but expect every one of you to let me merge in front of you. I’ll honk and get pissed off if this does not happen every time I’m on the road.

5 - If your car is not at least rolling the moment the light turns green, you’ll get a horn up your ***.

6 - If you’re on the phone and cut me off or something, you’ll get a “get the f|_|ck off the phone a-hole!” out the window.

7 - If you pull out in front of me, I’ll wait until the last possible moment to hit the brakes to give you the illusion I’m about to slam full speed into your door. Then I’ll honk and yell obscenities.

8 - Last but not least: God forbid you don’t know where your going, if your rolling along a single lane semi busy 45 mph road at 20 mph looking for a specific street that could be anywhere for the next 10 miles. I'll be honking and flashing my lights at you to pull over so I can get to my destination before my next birthday. If you don't pull over, or tap your brakes to try to intimidate me, i'll cross over the double yellow and pull in front of you and slam my brakes back at you.

wow, you really ARE a great driver!
Old 04-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Play with my balls

Ya know, I use to be exactly like that, and some of the things you've listed here I find myself rarely doing. I've grown up from all of that for the most part, and learned to not take driving for granted. Having your life flash before your eyes is definately a wake up call to not always drive by the seat of your pants all the time, and to just let somethings go. It does blow when everyone else thinks they are the only one on the road, and it irritates the hell out of me. But when I do stuff like that it makes me look dumber than they do. Be safe.....
Old 04-21-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
But when I do stuff like that it makes me look dumber than they do. Be safe.....
I dont think it makes you look dumb, just an a$$hole.
I have no problem with being an a$$hole.
Its fun.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:13 AM

I dont think it makes you look dumb, just an a$$hole.
Its fun.
The world is smaller than you think.

Someday you'll do this to somebody you know. How embarassing. I would be embarassed.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by Hornswoggler
The world is smaller than you think.

Someday you'll do this to somebody you know. How embarassing. I would be embarassed.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've done this a couple of times, and yes I can label that as one of my most embarrassing moments. Then you get classified as someone that can't drive. That sucks worse.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Play with my balls

Its fun.
Hey do what ya do......no problems with that here.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:06 AM

Ha! If you came to Thunder Bay you'd go insane!! People here are the absolute worst drivers around. Everbody seems to drive in the left lane and half the people are going UNDER the speed limit! It's incredibly frustrating. If you honked or flashed your lights they wouldn't even be able to figure out what they were doing wrong. Everybody who comes to our town can't get over how bad the drivers are!

I'd consider myself a good defensive driver. Fortunately, when I first got my liscence I attended a great driving school (Young Drivers of Canada) that taught defensive driving. They had us doing stuff like swerving through pine cones, slamming our brakes from highway speed and learning to control the car. I actually ended up getting the highest mark they ever had recorded for their final test. Their whole theory was to not only teach us how to pass our driving test, but to teach us to drive safely and avoid accidents even if it meant braking traffic laws. I had one accident when I was 17 which was mostly my fault, I tried to accelerate to avoid it and I guess if I hadn't it could have been worse. No speeding tickets for me, I don't go more than 10km/hour over the speed limit. This really sucks however because the speed limits here are so low (only a couple highways have a speed limit of around 55mph - 90km/hr and in town the limit is 30mph - 50km/hr).

I'm used to handling my car on windy, rough gravel roads and highways cause I live in the country. I've never had any trouble in the winter - even when its icy and there are multiple cars upside down in the ditch. Once, I was driving our old Blazer and I started fishtailing but I was able to control it. I've also been taught how to find escape routes but fortunately I've only had to use this once or twice.

I don't know how well I'd be able to drive my car on the track or at really high speeds but I'm never in a situation where I need to. I drive cautiously and defensively and pay attention to whats going on around me. I enjoy accelerating quick and taking turns quickly but I don't go overboard. I would like to go to a real driving school someday though like the BMW one.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:01 AM

I'm pretty sure that anywhere you go, there's someone that will tell you that their city's cot the worst drivers.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by naughtywon
I'm pretty sure that anywhere you go, there's someone that will tell you that their city's cot the worst drivers.
I know, but the fact that people that move/visit here from other cities can't get over how bad the drivers are has got to say something!
Old 04-23-2005, 05:55 PM

I drive like a 90yr old. I love the brake pedal, and use it even when I am pressing the gas.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:15 PM

I rate myself as above average. I do tend to go 10 to 15 over on the highway, ALWAYS, ALWAYS in the passing lane.

My, take on above average: drive respectably, avoid getting into accidents, AND causing them. read other drivers, being able to "see" what other drives are going to do before they do it. drive "smartly", in inclement weather, avoid trying to be best driver by being the fastest on the road.

just my 2 bits!
Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by NizanDrivn
I rate myself as above average. I do tend to go 10 to 15 over on the highway, ALWAYS, ALWAYS in the passing lane.

My, take on above average: drive respectably, avoid getting into accidents, AND causing them. read other drivers, being able to "see" what other drives are going to do before they do it. drive "smartly", in inclement weather, avoid trying to be best driver by being the fastest on the road.

just my 2 bits!
I would have to say the same. As you can probably tell by my profile info, i'm a kid. 17 years old to be exact. But i've done some crazy stuff when it comes to driving. Like running from the police. I got caught of course. I decided to give up because even though I was way ahead (1 mile or so on a backroad - I live in the sticks) I didn't want to risk my life and the life of other people around me. I got hammered with a couple of misdemeanors and other violations but I got out of it and only got one Mis. and 3 years probation. No record due to Youthfull Offender Status (YO). But after that day in May 2004, I haven't been a bad driver. Still have no accidents and don't do excessive speeding. 5 miles or so over on the highway and always speedlimit on every other road. In terms of control, i've fishtailed a few times when I used to race the other guys from church, but I don't think i'm to bad. I think i'm in the 50th to 70th percentile in terms of driving.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:50 AM

of all the people my own age i know i am the best driver....my friend coudlnt avoid a rock in the middle of the road even if they knew it was there 5 years in advance...

me on the other hand?
no tickets, no accidents....i hit a dog once though but it was out of my controll and i did my best to harm it as little as possible, i was doing 80Mph on the highway, by the time i hit it i was doing 20 mabe...i couldnt avoid it so i squared it up to my car and when it hit it it bounced up and away instead of forcing it down and under the wheels...it got up and ran off right away but scared the crap out of me....

alot of factors contributed to it though (nightm rain traffic ect)...if it hadnt been raining i would have been able to stop
Old 04-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Go Get a Life!

Well I'm getting my SCCA license soon...
Old 04-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Old Maxima Legend

not very good, but better than jeff gordon,lol
Old 04-28-2005, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
not very good, but better than jeff gordon,lol

hey it takes percists skills to drive aroun in a circle!

Old 04-30-2005, 03:41 PM
$tillenmax2k

I know i'm a great driver, but probably not as great as the guys in the top echelons of motorsports. Maybe with their training and equipment i could get up there.
I definitely make full use of the capabilities of my cars, but on the street i keep it respectful. Wouldn't want to hurt anybody, or risk damaging the cars. But on the racetrack, get outta the way!
IMO no matter how good a driver you are, if you're driving a POS car, then being a good driver won't do much for you. At least a good car can save a bad driver.

Old 04-30-2005, 04:20 PM

I know a kid that is the best driver i know, he has an M5 and can control that car with anything you throw at him. I like this clip of his in the parking lot to see how he can just start a spin and keep it totally controled. This is before he learned his lesson and he doesnt drive like this on the road anymore. He takes it to the track and now has his SCCA liscence M5 Clip
Old 05-01-2005, 11:59 AM
OG and counting...

Even though I have been driving since the age of 14, I don't dare say that I am the best driver in the world. In fact, one of my goals is to take a professional driving course at Beaver Run in PA. I would say that I am a good driver that has a propensity to drive according to the vehicle I am in because I am a firm believer in vehicle dynamics being one of the most integral parts of driving.

However, what Ben and Matt93SE say are correct. Part of driving is being familiar with the dynamics of the vehicle you are driving. You'd be amazed at how many idiots in SUVs think that they are in a Porsche 911 when the weather gets bad. But let that SOB get out of control and your inexperience will come back and bite you in the *** big time.

Another part is being cognizant of the environment you are in (e.g. weather, traffic patterns, road surface). Case in point, I often tell people that you could be the most relaxed driver on the highway but when you get into an urban setting, your demeanor changes drastically. It's almost as if some drivers (myself included) get into somewhat of a battle mode when driving in more congested urban areas. But then again, the average urban driver has waaaaay more hazards to contend with (e.g. kamikaze taxi drivers, bus drivers, idiots in traffic circles, bicycle messengers, cops who feel they are impervious to the same laws they enforce, pedestrians who feel their asses have chrome bumpers) and we have to be more focused because of those hazards.

But as Matt said, just because you are a good driver, don't expect the person next to you to be the same experience level as you.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:21 PM

I think I'm a great driver....Others would disagree, only cause I Love to go fast!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 01:43 PM

Suffice to say that lesser drivers than I would have been a wet spot on the pavement if they had been faced with the same situations I faced and had to execute the emergency maneuvers that I did.

At 57, my reflexes are as sharp as ever.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:04 PM

I've only had 2 accidents, minor fender benders, one in High School one in College, both were at low speed and the other driver was at fault, hitting me in the driver side fender, not following right of way. I've only had 2 or three tickets and have avoided 3 close calls, mostly because I've taken collision avoindance classes and several other courses in defensive driving. I also talked my agency director into letting me take the police beginner and advanced driving courses, although I had to pay for it, it's made me a much more confident driver.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by Park2670
I know a kid that is the best driver i know, he has an M5 and can control that car with anything you throw at him. I like this clip of his in the parking lot to see how he can just start a spin and keep it totally controled. This is before he learned his lesson and he doesnt drive like this on the road anymore. He takes it to the track and now has his SCCA liscence M5 Clip
That guy in the M5 is so unimpressive dude. He smokes up the tires and drifts in a RWD car with a 394hp V8 . . .WOW

How did he learn his lesson man?
Old 05-20-2005, 05:10 AM

well he got so many speeding and racing tickets he went to jail for a few months. and at the moment his car is wrecked and he is going to jail again. BUT now he is making his car pure race car for the track and will go out and beat everybody in his 4 door luxury sedan.... OH and bytheway, its not 394 hp in his, he is pushing about 500 or more
Old 05-20-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by silvermax2k2
Just curious. We all focus our time any money on upgrading the car, but how good of a driver do you think you are? If you get in a situation where you start to fishtail heavily, do you think you could regain control? If you encounter an emergency situation when impact is eminent, what do you do? Do you just slam on the brakes and hope you don't crash, or do you look for ways out such as changing lanes, or down shifting to try and stop faster, or even hop a curb to avoid hitting some one?

Many times we spend all this money on our cars to make them better, but we don't use our best judgment when driving. I.E. racing on the streets. If you lose control, are you good enough to get it back? I just figured I would make an interesting post for a change.
I think you can tell how good a driver really is by checking how much they actually pay on car insurance after a set period of time (i'd say 3-5 years of driving), since car insurance rates depend on how many tickets you have ever recieved, parking violations (?), and accidents you have had. Taking DD help keep car insurance down, but they don't want you to know that do they?

-Dex.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Do unto others...

Are you NUMB?

Originally Posted by Dexter
I think you can tell how good a driver really is by checking how much they actually pay on car insurance after a set period of time (i'd say 3-5 years of driving), since car insurance rates depend on how many tickets you have ever recieved, parking violations (?), and accidents you have had. Taking DD help keep car insurance down, but they don't want you to know that do they?

-Dex.
You base peoples driving abilities on their ability to conform to rules and regulations set-up for your average MORON driver!!

Ex. My car does 140 mph, but I shouldn't do that on a 4-lane highway, because I've been WOT since I was 12 and there's a metal sign that says 55 mph, and the guy who couldn't graduate high school has flashing lights on his car(no offense to any educated/non-a-hole officers).

Ex. 2 Think of the # of accidents caused from non-blinker using a-holes. A violation I never see anyone getting cited for(I'd know, I live in Mass.).

Next you'll be saying that homosexual marriage is the definition of MORALITY, because the STATE said so!!! HAA!!!

As you can see this gets under my skin. I'm tired of those people who think they can drive better than someone because their record is less extensive . I'll see you on the track. Bring your diapers!!

P.S. Advanced apologies if your quote was unrecognized sarcasm.

P.S.S. That's ^^^ your out.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:40 PM

With all the practice/training I've had running the wheels off a Crown Vic, I think I'm above average...not the best, but far from shabby.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I am a proactive driver, If other drivers cannot make up their minds, I make it up for them. 4 speeding tickets (non reckless)during long drives on freeways over a 25 year period ($hit while driving cross country through Texas, I kept my speed about 90-100 mph and it still took almost 2 days to get through!). My driving skills are above average based on my experience driving nothing but sports cars and military police vehicles. I also graduated from the 5 day Emergency Vehicle Evacuation Course during my stint as a military police officer. Living and driving in NYC and Japan was another plus for learning how to go fast in gridlock traffic and accident avoidance. Overall, bring your best game if you dare...
Old 05-26-2005, 01:02 PM

I think I'm a slightly above average driver, only b/c I notice everything and have a pretty good ability to think quickly.

My brother on the other hand thought he was the best driver in the world...until on January 10, 2005 he lost control of his car hit a tree which split his car in half and died.

Be carefull people.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:17 PM

Good enough to stay out of the ditches and ticket-free for almost 11 years...
Old 06-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

well as in the part where it says I am a good driver, I can hold my own. i think that depends on how you say it i take it as " i can hold my own " in any car and every car handles different , get into a toyota mr2 and then into a navigator and then into a mustang gt etc . each with different weight , different drivetrain , different length/width etc so i personally would have to say im allright but every car is different if i were to get out of my current maxima , and get into a navigator .. or a 1980s lincoln , or somethin of that nature , i know for a fact i couldnt do as well as i do in my own car being put into another car etc. like ive allways been a FWD fan for the corners , etc , put me into a rwd car and expect me to stomp on the gas in a supercharged stang/camaro , etc i couldnt handle it versus where i pull on the corners , it would want to slide the tail out from under me , ive drivin 1 rwd car and that was my brothers 5.0 and it was nice but i never tried anything stupid in it cuz rwd can surprise ya when you least expect it. but yeah overall i think im a decent driver.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:55 AM

I think i am a good driver. I am 16, turning 17 June 17th....2 speeding tickets, but i don't think that makes me bad. I have done a fish tail at 70mph in the dirt and was able to come back out straight. I just got a heavy foot and really fast reaction time...snow driving is very easy to me. Also evaded a couple accidents....never been in one.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:15 AM

If good means obey laws, don't speed, don't take chances, I was good until I got my max. I took mine off the lot Jan 3, 2001. First ticket was March 2001. On the way to work. I went WOT every day in the left lane, which would end soon after I got on the interstate. One day a cop got me. I was just not looking that day. The median divider was there so I should have seen him, wherever he was. Let ma guard down. First accident June 2002. Coming off an exit, the road slope increases to like almost friggin 45 degrees and the light's yellow, my michelins are sliding so I say, hey, gotta run this one. Everyone at the intersection sees or hears me except one girl. She comes out and sees me and then guns it and I clip her rear right quarter and rip my bumper cover. Nothing major. Like a year later, I plow into a civic on the interstate. Traffic had stopped and I was looking to change lanes, change cd, yadda yadda yadda. hood, windshield, air bags, evaporator, radiator, etc, etc, etc, seven grand. Nearly totaled. I had been sleep deprived because of a project I was working on at school. I've avoided many more though. I'd tell those stories but my post is already too long by my standards.

Quick Reply: How good of a driver do you think YOU are?