General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Insurance and After market parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 AM

Insurance and After market parts

About two weeks ago my car was backed into by an SUV cracking the grille, creasing the hood, and some other damage on the bumper. Everything so far has worked out relatively smoothly, which I am thankful for.

The guy's insurance is taking responsibility and paying for the repairs, great. However I get the insurance companies estimate and it lists and aftermarket hood instead of OEM. Since I live in NY I guess insurance companies here can do that. They can even try to find used parts.

My question is has this happened to anyone and/or does anyone have any experience with aftermarket replacement parts? I've been assured by the body shop that it is just as good as OEM and that it is 100% warranted for as long as I own the car. If for some reason it doesnt fit correctly, the body shop said they will then get an OEM hood charging the insurance company.

As a short background my '03 has over 85k miles on it and the old hood looked like someone shot it with bird shot there were so many paint chips in it (okay not that bad, but you get the idea). So I guess in some ways I am just getting a free paint job on the hood and front end. Should I make a huge fuss and try to get an OEM replacement? Or just live with the aftermarket.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
+Cru OG

When I had my accident, I requested that OEM components only. I had the same preach from the shop with non-oem "just as good" as oem.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
When I had my accident, I requested that OEM components only. I had the same preach from the shop with non-oem "just as good" as oem.

Did you have to fight with the insurance company? Right now its not the shop thats driving the use of aftermarket.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NisMoN00B
Been there, unless its your insurance company they wont give you the extra for OE products. If you friends with the body shop they will help you out. I got all OE parts at no extra cost, but i'm friends with the owner.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:48 PM
GrandPa

Since you were hit, you tell them you want OEM parts and don't back down.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 PM

i would fight for it. Whe my car was hit they wanted to give me a aftermarket bumper and I told them no and I wanted an oem bumper becasue that is what is on my car. If they are paying for it fight it
Old 03-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like typical insurance company BS.

I suspect that other guys insurance company told you to go to this shop.

NEVER go to any body shop that has a contract or agreement with the insurance company. I am sure that insurance co will push you to do that, and tell you all these nice reasons why you should. That contracted shop's main concern is reducing the insurance co's costs, and keeping that contract. Doing a good job and taking care of you are secondary concerns.

I was in this situation a few years back and this is exactly how it went for me. The first time I had my smashed rear bumper repaired. All the insurance company's recommended body shop did was paint over all the damage. I ended up going there 4 times and *****ing for OEM parts on my Maxima that had 16,000 miles on it at the time. I still did not end up with a good job.

My advice. Ask around for referrals to good body shops. Go see them and get quotes, find one that is not associated with that insurance co and that will only use OEM parts. Hell, pick the best shop in town.

You can go to any body shop you choose and that other guys insurance company cannot dictate what they consider acceptable parts.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:24 PM

Rebuilt my front end twice in similar situations. A good body shop will try and keep the price down as to not freak out your insurance too much but in both cases with mine the shop was not satisfied with the fit of aftermarket and recomended the OEM for almost everything body related. Yeah I would check around a few body shops to see what they say.