General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone out there with 8 points....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Anyone out there with 8 points....

That insure their max for less than 200/month? I kind of feel like a victim of insurance companies. It seems Progressive likes to make their own rules. Last winter I slid off the road in an ice storm and I got cited for "failure to maintain control". Which I didnt fight . The state put 2 points on my license. But apparently progressive has their own point system which assessed 4 points for this violation! Anyway, all other companies are quoting me 200/mo at LEAST.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

in nj..this is how it works (at least for me)

the points on your license are irrelevant (i have only 1 point on my license - after 2 speeding tickets, and a mandatory probationary driver's class)

what the insurance company (all state for me) sees is the violations alone and assesses points based on the violations...so two speeding tickets = 8 points (i think)...see i dont know exactly, since all-state hasn't updated their records, and the increase in premium wont go up till next May. when it does however, my insurance will jump to about 2200 a year (right now im at 1600) liability only.

of course, your age, gender, color of car, type of plan, discounts (i.e. good student, etc.) - all that and more comes into play when computing insurance premiums.

with 8 points on ur Insurance Record, it'll take a couple years of pure, clean driving to get those points down, and thus the premium.

btw, i was told that you also get breaks in premium when you've been with the same company for 3 yeras, and when u turn 21. so try to stay with the same company, even if they're ripping you off at the moment, cuz in the long run, u'll end up saving more, instead of jumping from company to company.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by KashThaRipper
in nj..this is how it works (at least for me)

the points on your license are irrelevant (i have only 1 point on my license - after 2 speeding tickets, and a mandatory probationary driver's class)

what the insurance company (all state for me) sees is the violations alone and assesses points based on the violations...so two speeding tickets = 8 points (i think)...see i dont know exactly, since all-state hasn't updated their records, and the increase in premium wont go up till next May. when it does however, my insurance will jump to about 2200 a year (right now im at 1600) liability only.

of course, your age, gender, color of car, type of plan, discounts (i.e. good student, etc.) - all that and more comes into play when computing insurance premiums.

with 8 points on ur Insurance Record, it'll take a couple years of pure, clean driving to get those points down, and thus the premium.

btw, i was told that you also get breaks in premium when you've been with the same company for 3 yeras, and when u turn 21. so try to stay with the same company, even if they're ripping you off at the moment, cuz in the long run, u'll end up saving more, instead of jumping from company to company.

My car is under my moms name, and I have 8 points we pay 2300 a year liability only sucks . The points drop by 3 every consecutive 12 months that I don't get a moving violation.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:12 AM
STFU n00b!

When you're looking at progressive's point system, you should be able to see a detail of your points scale somewhere in your policy, or on their website where it talks about your driving record.

essentially, you received 2 points for the violation/ticket, then you received another 2 points on their scale for filing a claim on it (I'm assuming you did, anyway)...

they will add points to your name just for filing a claim- even if it wasn't your fault.
my parents were rear-ended by uninsured drivers twice and had a tree fall on BOTH of their cars in an ice storm- all within a 2 yr period. Progressive dropped them two weeks after the ice storm incident (which caused $15k in damage), citing they had too many claims on their file- even though not a single one was their fault.

I'm currently using them as well though, and we're paying around $3k a year for both my wife and I on both cars. Then again, we've got full coverage on both, and I have a custom parts rider for $10k on my car... plus I've got enough coverage to crash into a ferrari full of dirtbag lawyers and laugh when they sue.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:14 AM

I would kill for $200.. even $300 a month, damn you.

new york sucks for younger drivers.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:03 PM

wow you pay over 4000 a year? i thought i had it bad at 200/month
Old 08-05-2004, 07:18 AM

Wow I feel for you guys. In Tx, the law is really loose over here. No emissions, No points system.....yet.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
When you're looking at progressive's point system, you should be able to see a detail of your points scale somewhere in your policy, or on their website where it talks about your driving record.

essentially, you received 2 points for the violation/ticket, then you received another 2 points on their scale for filing a claim on it (I'm assuming you did, anyway)...

they will add points to your name just for filing a claim- even if it wasn't your fault.
my parents were rear-ended by uninsured drivers twice and had a tree fall on BOTH of their cars in an ice storm- all within a 2 yr period. Progressive dropped them two weeks after the ice storm incident (which caused $15k in damage), citing they had too many claims on their file- even though not a single one was their fault.

I'm currently using them as well though, and we're paying around $3k a year for both my wife and I on both cars. Then again, we've got full coverage on both, and I have a custom parts rider for $10k on my car... plus I've got enough coverage to crash into a ferrari full of dirtbag lawyers and laugh when they sue.
Are you saying that your insurance can pay for the Ferrari and the personal injuries of the 2 "dirtbag lawyers?"
Old 08-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Does anyone else think that going back 3 years is a little unfair? If it wasnt for my ridiculous insurance premium, the maxi would have tires for the 17s I bought, and i'd be rolling around on a GSXR1000 this summer.

Then why do I speed?

Do you really have to ask that question?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:54 AM

no points here. One deferred wreckless driving (technically its not on the record but somehow All-State still charges me).

Barebones insurance with decent coverage, $266 a month. 8 more months of that and it will be 3 years and then they said it will drop to about 200 a month for full coverage on the maxima.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
no points here. One deferred wreckless driving (technically its not on the record but somehow All-State still charges me).

Barebones insurance with decent coverage, $266 a month. 8 more months of that and it will be 3 years and then they said it will drop to about 200 a month for full coverage on the maxima.

I'm paying full coverage for my Maxima since it was brand new and it never got over $400/every six month. I have State Farm insurance along with the rest of our family. We have a total of 6 vehicles insured with them and my dad has been with them for over twenty years. I have been with them for almost 14 years now. The premium change when you get to 25 yrs old here.

Eric