General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima Power in a smaller body?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Base 350, RX-8, or S2000?
Old 05-22-2004, 02:29 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Double You Are Ex
Old 05-22-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by waveridr85
Well I saw a guy on these forums once swapping in one of our maxima engiens into an rx-7, 200 hp in a tiny 2400 lb car would sure be nice, i offered to buy it from him when he was done, no word back from him yet
Wow. What an idiot. Just amazing. I can't believe some guy would spend thousands upon thousands of dollars, and certainly tons of work and fabrication just to gain a measly 30 horsepower. Which probably even has some of that offset by the weight gain from switching from a small rotary engine to a maxima's. So maybe 20 something horsepower. He must be the biggest moron in the world.

He now spent many thousands of dollars, hundreds of man hours and labor, lost reliablity due to all the jury rigging, since I'm sure there's no VQ swap kit to swap a mazda rotary, all to gain about 25 horsepower. The sheer idioticy of such a move is almost beyond comprehension, beyond the ability of mere mortals to fathom. Simply bewildering.

He could have just bought an intake and exhaust which would give about the same gains in power, but instead, he elects to do a massively involved engine swap.

And this is assuming you mean one of the non turbo'd early gen rx7s. Cause if he would swap a 255 hp twin turbo, that can be made to run 9's and 10's, for some tiny little six popper with almost zero potential in comparison, the man needs to admitted to some sort of insane asylum.
I've heard of a few guys swapping ls1's into FDs, because of some problems with the apex seals on the rotary engines that the owners no longer wanted to deal with, but even those rumors were called into question by ls1 owners. Because who would buy a car, whose greatest source of uniqueness was in that rotary engine, to put in a common rods and pistons affair? And the ls1 is a monstrous 350 horsepower V8, which owners have used to put down well over 500 hp, all motor, with just a few grand in mods. All motor VQ30's would be considered lucky to put out even half that. A guy who would go through all that work, sacrifice the sole truly distinguishing feature of his car, just to put in a common little six popper is beyond understanding.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eric425
Wow. What an idiot. Just amazing. I can't believe some guy would spend thousands upon thousands of dollars, and certainly tons of work and fabrication just to gain a measly 30 horsepower. Which probably even has some of that offset by the weight gain from switching from a small rotary engine to a maxima's. So maybe 20 something horsepower. He must be the biggest moron in the world.

He now spent many thousands of dollars, hundreds of man hours and labor, lost reliablity due to all the jury rigging, since I'm sure there's no VQ swap kit to swap a mazda rotary, all to gain about 25 horsepower. The sheer idioticy of such a move is almost beyond comprehension, beyond the ability of mere mortals to fathom. Simply bewildering.

He could have just bought an intake and exhaust which would give about the same gains in power, but instead, he elects to do a massively involved engine swap.

And this is assuming you mean one of the non turbo'd early gen rx7s. Cause if he would swap a 255 hp twin turbo, that can be made to run 9's and 10's, for some tiny little six popper with almost zero potential in comparison, the man needs to admitted to some sort of insane asylum.
I've heard of a few guys swapping ls1's into FDs, because of some problems with the apex seals on the rotary engines that the owners no longer wanted to deal with, but even those rumors were called into question by ls1 owners. Because who would buy a car, whose greatest source of uniqueness was in that rotary engine, to put in a common rods and pistons affair? And the ls1 is a monstrous 350 horsepower V8, which owners have used to put down well over 500 hp, all motor, with just a few grand in mods. All motor VQ30's would be considered lucky to put out even half that. A guy who would go through all that work, sacrifice the sole truly distinguishing feature of his car, just to put in a common little six popper is beyond understanding.
maybe its his hobby, and he dosen't care how much it costs . and he just wants to do it so he can say that its been done
Old 05-22-2004, 05:12 PM

He did do all the work on the car himself he told me, he was also making a custom turbo kit for the car. I beleive the maxima engine makes way much more torque and would provide a higher maximum power capability. Along with that, the engine is way more easily o work on.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by waveridr85
He did do all the work on the car himself he told me, he was also making a custom turbo kit for the car. I beleive the maxima engine makes way much more torque and would provide a higher maximum power capability. Along with that, the engine is way more easily o work on.
I guess it's possible, but a 3.0 nissan v6 isn't going to just bolt on into an engine compartment designed for a little 1.3 liter mazda rotary. If he's going to do all that work, why wouldn't he put in a meatier engine? I mean, if you were going to try to swap out your Maximas engine for something completely different, that would involve TONS of fabrication and work, wouldn't you go for something powerful as a substitute? You wouldn't just put in a mustang v6. The VQ isn't anything special, in terms of power. Power potential is actually very limited. Bolt on's could yield another 50 horsepower, if you're lucky, and the only alternative to that would be to go forced induction. The 10:1 compression ratio of the 3 liter VQ limits the amount of boost you can run, and we don't have the forged bottom end required that can sustain truly significant power anyways. He would have to have one custom made. The guy would essentially need to build a new engine from scratch to make any power out of the maxima engine, which defeats the purpose of swapping in the engine in the first place! There are certain parts of the Japanese VQ30det that would swap into the US VQ30DE, but nobody's done a full conversion. Anyways, if he wanted to have a VQ30det, he should have just swapped the whole thing in the first place, instead of using a VQ30de and trying to adapt the DeT's parts into it. It just doesn't make sense to choose an engine that has relatively low power, and small aftermarket to build on.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:59 PM

Waveridr, come to think of it, have you seen the car yourself? I suspect that maybe the guy is just some ricer that's bsing to try and impress you.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:57 AM

I saw the pic with a rx7 with a maxima engine sitting in it. He seemed liek an older guy and didnt post very often. Maybe he just came by everyonce in a while to find what he needed about the engine.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:05 AM

Waveridr, come to think of it, have you seen the car yourself? I suspect that maybe the guy is just some ricer that's bsing to try and impress you.
I believe his handle here is Thaniel. Why don't you PM him yourself?...
Old 05-23-2004, 08:49 AM

agreed, the mazda 3 is sharp. Not fast but pretty and looks pretty damn nice inside! Very Euro feel and if you can find one with HID and leather it's a very nice car!

Only downfall as stated above is the speed deficiency and there are reliability rumors floating around. I think BrianV bought one then returned it because of defects and bought...a G35 .

maxceler8, what kind of patients do you see?
Old 05-23-2004, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
I believe his handle here is Thaniel. Why don't you PM him yourself?...
If you guys say you've seen it, that's fine, I believe you. I wasn't asking for proof, just that it don't seem to make much sense to go through all that work just for a small increase in power. Who knows, maybe it's like that one guy said further up, maybe he's just got some thing for it. There's wierdos who like torturing peoples pets and stuff, there's probably some guy out there that likes putting in lots of work and money for relatively insignificant gains in return. Maybe he just had a VQ lying around and a blown engine in the mazda, and decided to put them together as a project. Just didn't make much sense from a performance standpoint.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:31 PM

If you guys say you've seen it, that's fine, I believe you. I wasn't asking for proof, just that it don't seem to make much sense to go through all that work just for a small increase in power. Who knows, maybe it's like that one guy said further up, maybe he's just got some thing for it. There's wierdos who like torturing peoples pets and stuff, there's probably some guy out there that likes putting in lots of work and money for relatively insignificant gains in return. Maybe he just had a VQ lying around and a blown engine in the mazda, and decided to put them together as a project. Just didn't make much sense from a performance standpoint.
I haven't seen it personally and never assumed you were asking for proof. I just gave you his user name so you could go to the source about his project instead of cluttering up this thread with useless, redundant bull****, that's all. Talk to HIM about it...
Old 05-23-2004, 01:51 PM
meh

Originally Posted by Rowan
agreed, the mazda 3 is sharp. Not fast but pretty and looks pretty damn nice inside! Very Euro feel and if you can find one with HID and leather it's a very nice car!

Only downfall as stated above is the speed deficiency and there are reliability rumors floating around. I think BrianV bought one then returned it because of defects and bought...a G35 .

No, I agree that I'm sure it's not a road rocket. I've read a few articles (have not driven one myself yet) that say that it has some giddyap with the 160 hp engine. The base 6 engine, I think it's a 2.3? Anyways, I'm sure it would feel sufficiently quick around town and stuff with the manual.

I'm a Polysomnography Technician, basically a Sleep Disorders tech so I get ppl who have problems sleeping (getting and maintaining sleep, inappropriate sleep times i.e. narcolepsy) and run an overnight study on them so the Dr can see exactly what's going on. Most times it's sleep apnea. Anyways, the labs I work at most ppl drive themselves and so you can see what they drive (if you're interested ) and I've talked to a few ppl about them if they've had an interesting ride. Kinda cool. I do not know anybody with a new 3 so I was just curious as to how the owner had liked it and so on so I asked him.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:53 PM

Wow guys. I did not anticipate so many coments! Thanks a lot! (I was out of town this weekend so I appologize for not replying).

Ok, first of all I agree with Maxceler8 on clarifying the priorities. The car does not have to smoke everything that moves, but has to put a ricer in it's place if need be . Reliability is one of main priorities as well. Also, the car has to be very presentable, as the nature of her work requires a lot client interaction in business setting.

Comments on some of the suggestions:
Dodge SRT4 - is a no-go due to being a Dodge

VW R32 and A4 are too much $$

Sentra Spec V - she just does not like how it
looks - call it personal preference.

Subaru WRX - that's quite a contender. Another verison of which might be SAAB 9-2X - same as WRX, just looks different. They are just coming out, so we are going to test drive one. I can get GM supplier discount, so $$ it might be right on the border of being affordable.

Holden Monaro/GTO - Just drove it yesterday. Power is amazing, handles well, but brakes SUCK! Maxima stock brakes are good compared to those. So I think it's out.

VW GTI is so far the strongest contender. If given a choice between 1.8 and VR6 2.8 - I am inclined to say that a 2.8V6 is more reliable than a turbo...and is smoother without Turbo lag.

So as it stands right now it is between yet undrivven SAAB 9-2X (with 227hp subaru engine & AWD) or VW GTI VR6.

Once again thanks a lot guys and girls for all the replies - keep them coming!!
Old 05-23-2004, 05:56 PM

Almost forgot about Mazda's
Mazda 6 - is a cool and power car, but it used a Taurus block! So I am not sure about it's long term reliability.

Mazda 3 - needs to be driven.

----

Acura RSX - "no go" based on appearence. I like the car, but she does not

Acura TSX - needs to be driven I've totally forgot about that one...
Old 05-24-2004, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by schernov
Wow guys. I did not anticipate so many coments! Thanks a lot! (I was out of town this weekend so I appologize for not replying).

Ok, first of all I agree with Maxceler8 on clarifying the priorities. The car does not have to smoke everything that moves, but has to put a ricer in it's place if need be . Reliability is one of main priorities as well. Also, the car has to be very presentable, as the nature of her work requires a lot client interaction in business setting.

Comments on some of the suggestions:
Dodge SRT4 - is a no-go due to being a Dodge

VW R32 and A4 are too much $$

Sentra Spec V - she just does not like how it
looks - call it personal preference.

Subaru WRX - that's quite a contender. Another verison of which might be SAAB 9-2X - same as WRX, just looks different. They are just coming out, so we are going to test drive one. I can get GM supplier discount, so $$ it might be right on the border of being affordable.

Holden Monaro/GTO - Just drove it yesterday. Power is amazing, handles well, but brakes SUCK! Maxima stock brakes are good compared to those. So I think it's out.

VW GTI is so far the strongest contender. If given a choice between 1.8 and VR6 2.8 - I am inclined to say that a 2.8V6 is more reliable than a turbo...and is smoother without Turbo lag.

So as it stands right now it is between yet undrivven SAAB 9-2X (with 227hp subaru engine & AWD) or VW GTI VR6.

Once again thanks a lot guys and girls for all the replies - keep them coming!!
check out the honda prelude. those are decently quick and don't look too bad.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:16 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Rowan

BrianV purchased the Mazda 3's performance predecessor, the Mazdaspeed Protege (which was based on the Protege platform). There are no relibility problems, speed problems, or so far as I have heard, any problems at all with the all new Mazda 3 (entirely new platform, new engines choices...etc). If/when Mazda releases a Mazdaspeed version of the 3, I'm sure it will be a much better rendition than the Mazdaspeed Protege that it replaces.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:24 AM

Why not go with a european car... I'm not a big fan of european car's, but if you want a small car with power that we in the maxima have...

Then take a brand new Renault Clio V6 :P

That's one SICK ride!!! drove one a few weeks ago... it's a realy fast ride, small, and has good handling.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:29 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Acura TSX 6MT. Not as quick as a VQ35 powered Nissan, but it'll hold its own pretty well against VQ30's and the new Accord V6 automatic.

IBTM

Excellent pick.
I'll throw in the 325i and IS300.

IBTL.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:30 AM

Get a Sentra SER and drop in a VQ35 and you'll see some power....
Old 05-24-2004, 09:34 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by turdlett
Get a 240sx. You can then do an engine swap. If you're not up to it then get the Neon SRT-4 with the larger turbo upgrade.
NO.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 01_blue_max
check out the honda prelude. those are decently quick and don't look too bad.
Prelude was a strong contender. Unfortunately the last year was 2001 and they are tough to find in the "un-riced" condition . But it is certainly a "go" if we spot one in mint shape with low milage..
Old 05-24-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by v6maximus
Why not go with a european car... I'm not a big fan of european car's, but if you want a small car with power that we in the maxima have...

That's one SICK ride!!! drove one a few weeks ago... it's a realy fast ride, small, and has good handling.
Problem: they don't sell them here ...
Old 05-24-2004, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Excellent pick.
I'll throw in the 325i and IS300.

IBTL.
Yea TSX is going to get a test drive in next couple of weeks. As far as 325 - She would lOVE to have it, but with all options the price is getting way high...

IS300 - is too ricey. I just cannot get over those tail lights
Old 05-24-2004, 12:57 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by v6maximus

Hard to do since they don't sell them in North America...
Old 05-25-2004, 06:59 AM
is invisible

Yea TSX is going to get a test drive in next couple of weeks. As far as 325 - She would lOVE to have it, but with all options the price is getting way high...

IS300 - is too ricey. I just cannot get over those tail lights
True, the TSX come fully-loaded (MSRP: $27,035 - $29,035).

If it didn't seem she values luxury and features/appointments as much I would have suggested the 325 in base form (MSRP: $28,795). But if you're considering the 325 it'sIn that case it's hard to overlook the G35 (MSRP: $28,540 - $33,040): Maxima power in a smaller, better, award-winning package.

You can always mod the IS's tailights!
Old 05-25-2004, 09:00 AM

True, the TSX come fully-loaded (MSRP: $27,035 - $29,035).

If it didn't seem she values luxury and features/appointments as much I would have suggested the 325 in base form (MSRP: $28,795). But if you're considering the 325 it'sIn that case it's hard to overlook the G35 (MSRP: $28,540 - $33,040): Maxima power in a smaller, better, award-winning package.

You can always mod the IS's tailights!
--> G35 is really nice. We went to drive one about a month ago. One thing about it is we thought it has a weird clutch. She has been driving stick for 5 years (Honda, Mazda) and that clutch just did feel right...
Old 05-25-2004, 09:28 AM
is invisible

--> G35 is really nice. We went to drive one about a month ago. One thing about it is we thought it has a weird clutch. She has been driving stick for 5 years (Honda, Mazda) and that clutch just did feel right...
Assuming her previous cars were 4-cyl/FWD, the TSX should be a good match.
Good luck!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

1. SRT-4 fast as hell right out of the box
2. Jetta/GTI 1.8t ultimate sleepers just add a chip
3. WRX extensive aftermarket
4. TSX luxury in a small package
Old 05-27-2004, 09:38 AM
What's next!?..

Have you looked at the new Scion tC model? Comes with a 4cyl 160hp engine and I think they're gonna have a supercharger option from TRD.

Base price is about $17k.

http://www.scion.com/drive/gallery/d...c_gallery.html
Old 05-27-2004, 10:00 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by JPMax
Have you looked at the new Scion tC model? Comes with a 4cyl 160hp engine and I think they're gonna have a supercharger option from TRD.

Base price is about $17k.

http://www.scion.com/drive/gallery/d...c_gallery.html

I actually like this car as well. Pretty good looking, and yes, a 200 HP S/C'ed version will be offered.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:11 PM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
I actually like this car as well. Pretty good looking, and yes, a 200 HP S/C'ed version will be offered.

Out of all the cars in that class, the Scion stands out:. nice looks & power.
I really like it, but it'll be targeted @ kids.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:52 AM

HONDA s2000???
Old 05-28-2004, 12:19 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Out of all the cars in that class, the Scion stands out:. nice looks & power.
I really like it, but it'll be targeted @ kids.

Honestly, I've never been influenced by that when buying a car/truck before...but I know that is on the minds of some people here. If you like it and it does what you want, I say screw the "image" it has and just buy it. It's your money, and if you go off what we say here and don't like what you buy, you'll never be happy with yourself or the car...
Old 05-28-2004, 04:49 PM

Cars I would recommend

The TSX is a great car, would definately recommend that one. So many features, and all of them standard.

Mazda 3 also great looking, very nice to look at, and some very cool features for a great price. (Whatever you do, dont dance on the roof, this girl at a party did, caved the entire roof in and broke the sunroof.)

As an employee of Volvo, I would recommend the new S40. It is on the same chassis as the Mazda 3 and upcoming new Focus, also has some very interesting features, obviously safe, can be optioned with a 6 speed and Haldex AWD (one of the best AWD systems out there, and both straight out of the high performance S60R) in July. They are only available with a 5 speed auto right now 2004.5 model year. But the best thing I like about the new S40 is the incredible sound system. It kills my Bose system. 420 watts 12 speakers with Dolby Digital Surround Sound. But be careful, the downside to this car is the fact that it can get pricy with all the goodies. Navi, body kit, Xenons, Sound, etc, looking at a cool $34-plus. Has the look of a being more upscale, since you did say that she has to please clientele, but also very sporty as well. It has a very sporty ride, and it handles very well. Trust me, we put our demo through hell.

The GTI, your obvious first choice, i think is a great car, and has the best of both worlds. Very sporty and classy at the sametime. That design just looks so timeless. And there are so many mods. Can't wait for the new ones. What ever you do get the VR6. Has nice smooth power in comparison to the 1.8T.

Scion Tc, damn that car is so nice. Panorama roof, nice 17in, and Toyota quality. And obviously will have about 5 pages worth of Mods just like the xB.

WRX, straight up drivers car. Everyone loves that one, benchmark for high performance car at a resonable price. AKA best bang for buck. However, I can see you driving it more than your girl, cause i know I would.

Well it might seem that I favor the Volvo, but not really, I jsut know more about that car than the others. Its a great car, and in AWD form I think could give 3-series a great run for its money but I would personally choose the GTI or Tc, because of mod-ability, resale values, and attractive good looks.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:54 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by magneto112
Cars I would recommend

The TSX is a great car, would definately recommend that one. So many features, and all of them standard.

Mazda 3 also great looking, very nice to look at, and some very cool features for a great price. (Whatever you do, dont dance on the roof, this girl at a party did, caved the entire roof in and broke the sunroof.)

As an employee of Volvo, I would recommend the new S40. It is on the same chassis as the Mazda 3 and upcoming new Focus, also has some very interesting features, obviously safe, can be optioned with a 6 speed and Haldex AWD (one of the best AWD systems out there, and both straight out of the high performance S60R) in July. They are only available with a 5 speed auto right now 2004.5 model year. But the best thing I like about the new S40 is the incredible sound system. It kills my Bose system. 420 watts 12 speakers with Dolby Digital Surround Sound. But be careful, the downside to this car is the fact that it can get pricy with all the goodies. Navi, body kit, Xenons, Sound, etc, looking at a cool $34-plus. Has the look of a being more upscale, since you did say that she has to please clientele, but also very sporty as well. It has a very sporty ride, and it handles very well. Trust me, we put our demo through hell.

The GTI, your obvious first choice, i think is a great car, and has the best of both worlds. Very sporty and classy at the sametime. That design just looks so timeless. And there are so many mods. Can't wait for the new ones. What ever you do get the VR6. Has nice smooth power in comparison to the 1.8T.

Scion Tc, damn that car is so nice. Panorama roof, nice 17in, and Toyota quality. And obviously will have about 5 pages worth of Mods just like the xB.

WRX, straight up drivers car. Everyone loves that one, benchmark for high performance car at a resonable price. AKA best bang for buck. However, I can see you driving it more than your girl, cause i know I would.

Well it might seem that I favor the Volvo, but not really, I jsut know more about that car than the others. Its a great car, and in AWD form I think could give 3-series a great run for its money but I would personally choose the GTI or Tc, because of mod-ability, resale values, and attractive good looks.

You definitely have some very worthy picks there. The Scion Tc grows more and more appealing to me for an ecnomical performance car...
Old 05-28-2004, 06:54 PM

Thanks guys again for all the comments! I personnaly like the Volvo S60R . Have not driven ths S40 - we will give a try.
As far Scions, tc specifically, looks too much like a Cavalier.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:58 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Honestly, I've never been influenced by that when buying a car/truck before...but I know that is on the minds of some people here. If you like it and it does what you want, I say screw the "image" it has and just buy it. It's your money, and if you go off what we say here and don't like what you buy, you'll never be happy with yourself or the car...
You're absolutely correct, but it bothers me that the entire Scion line is targeted @ "kids" although "Scion does have the lowest buyer age in the industry, according to the Power Information Network, a division of J.D. Power and Associates.

It finds the average Scion buyer is 41 years old, while the industry average is 46. The only other automaker to match that is Mazda. Volkswagen and Mitsubishis are next at 42. The Toyota buyer is 47 and the Honda buyer 44. "

I, for one, get annoyed when a Max owner thinks a VW/Mini Cooper purchase is . They have no room to speak...affordable Japanese 4-door family cars are harldy "manly."
Old 06-01-2004, 07:09 AM

all decent cars
but if u want the best bang for the buck
the key is a Eclipse GSX or Talon TSI AWD 1990-1999

blows everything else out of the water with very minor mods
hands DOWN!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:12 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Nore474
all decent cars
but if u want the best bang for the buck
the key is a Eclipse GSX or Talon TSI AWD 1990-1999