General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anyone try this method of steam cleaning INSIDE on engine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 07:13 AM
rockymtnmax

Has anyone tried this method of steaming the INSIDE of
there Maxima.
Does it work/help?
I'm a little worried about messing something up.
Let me know, E

1-Find a vacuum hose that is "on" at idle (pulling vacuum), and also has plenty of loose length (~6" or more). I used the one that goes into the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor, located at the right front of the front cylinder bank. It's the one labeled "boost sensor" here. See the vacuum line plugging into the bottom of it? Disconnect that one. That's the end you're going to dip into the water/solvent. There's a good 9" of free length on that line, enough to do what you need to do.
2-Fill up a cup (~8-10 ozs) of deionized/drinking water (not tap!-crap inside!).
3-With the engine idling, dip the vacuum hose into the cup. Manually rev the motor to keep the engine from quitting. The engine will run really poorly at this point. Hold the line in the water for a few seconds and continue to throttle. Remove the line and let the engine clear out the water inside it until it runs smoother again. You'll see lots of water vapor coming out of the tailpipe during this also. "Steam clean".
4-Continue to repeat step 3 until all the water is gone.
5-When done with the steam clean, get a bottle of Chemtool cleaner or like (basically carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner, only something with an open top to dip the vacuum hose into). Continue steps 3 and 4, only using the solvent this time.
5-When done, let the car idle for 5-10 minutes to clear out any remaining junk.

My car has noticeably better power than before. Much better...I'm very surprised. The engine also runs much smoother, and idles smoother with less jumping of the tach.

My car has 76K miles, and it made quite a difference. If you guys are at all mechanically inclined, I recommend this highly!

Old 03-22-2001, 07:30 AM

Daniel Martin says this is an old trick....I asked him about it when this was posted about amonth ago. I actually bought some cleaner and distilled H20 to try it and lost the thread in the website conversion deal... What vacuum hose do you use? And should you wit till the engine is at operating temp?
Old 03-22-2001, 07:35 AM
rockymtnmax

try this link

http://www.maximadriver.com/

Old 03-22-2001, 07:37 AM
rockymtnmax

Originally posted by rockymtnmax
try this link

http://www.maximadriver.com/

Forgot to say
go to how2 section at upper left side
then find steam clean engine link.

Old 03-22-2001, 01:02 PM

Great, thanks... What about engine temp-can I only do this when engine is at operating temp?
Old 03-22-2001, 01:13 PM

Checked out your site. Very helpful How2s/ You have been bookmarked...
Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I searched for this answer and was wondering if many do this type of 'old school' upper cylinder cleaning using 8-10 oz of water? If so, how were the results? Safe to suck up like you would seafoam?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM

^ bumping old thread is good, it proves you did some searching.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM

i personally wouldnt pour that much water in my engine......thats asking for a hydrolock
Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

steam cleaning cylinders is most definitely a good way to de-carbonize....I've done it to every vehicle i've owned for the past 10+ years...

you must be careful though..too much water can damage your engine...easy way to prevent damage is to use a air pump needle, like you would use to air up a basketball..

the needle would be inserted and taped onto the hose end, then put the needle into the water, and the other end of the hose would go to a vacuum point on the engine...The needles small opening prevents too much water from being sucked into the engine causing hydro lock...

Declaimer: "I claim no responsibility if you screw up your engine doing this"
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
steam cleaning cylinders is most definitely a good way to de-carbonize....I've done it to every vehicle i've owned for the past 10+ years...

you must be careful though..too much water can damage your engine...easy way to prevent damage is to use a air pump needle, like you would use to air up a basketball..

the needle would be inserted and taped onto the hose end, then put the needle into the water, and the other end of the hose would go to a vacuum point on the engine...The needles small opening prevents too much water from being sucked into the engine causing hydro lock...

And then when another one try this method, the air pump needle it's sucked into the engine and your engine finished very VERY ****ed!

Joking joking

I always had heard of this method, but I never try it. It works very well and what it can damage my precat?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

the only damage water can do is hydro locking the engine if you put too much water in at a time....which is a bad thing lol, but like i said, the needle prevents too much water from being ingested...as a matter of fact, it meters water in so slow that you typically do this just by simply driving down the road while it injects water through your system...some folks just put a bucket of water in the passenger side floor board and run the hose through the window/under the hood to the vacuum port...then they go for a drive...
Old 11-13-2012, 03:59 PM

That's a great idea, Greeny, thanks for the tip with the needle! Will give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I plan on using only half the recommended dosage per this thread (4, 5 oz) with distilled water and I'll report back. Wish me luck, lol.

Originally Posted by Greeny

Last edited by SmokinMax02; 11-13-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Interested, but scared...very scared of the hydrolock.