General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Should I purchase a NISSAN Warranty for my car at 51k????

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 04:19 PM

Should I purchase a NISSAN Warranty for my car at 51k????

I have a 99.5 Max, 51k on it right now, and it would run me anywhere from $1300-$1700 for a 3 year 36k, or 4 year 48k warranty. My question is this, I have had 1 coil pack go bad and my current warranty ends at 63k, so I will get refunded the difference on that cause of our state laws, and put that towards this new warranty, would it be good to do??

The warranty I have now is a bunch of jerk offs without getting into it too much, but Nissan wanted to replace all the coil packs, they only did the one. Now, with the mods that I have listed, and that happening, what do you guys suggest?? And yes, I plan on keeping this car for YEARS, and I imagine I will be at 100k in about 3 or so years.

Now, my other question is.........should there be an ECU mod come out for my max, can I put that on without voiding said warranties?? Im just unsure of what to do with this , cause I kinda want to go BOOST also but am afraid the other coils could go at anytime. Really indecisive here, Im 21 (almost 22) and in college for at least 2 more years, should I get the 3/36k warranty and then get boost then?? 87k aint too high to put boost on is it?? (SC most likely).

Sorry for the long winded question, its just a hard decision. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:54 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

as far as the warranty question: I have a 99.5 also , with 184k miles on it...the only major problem i have had is an EGR failure at 110k miles; nothing else besides things that you would expect to wear out from that many miles (4th battery, 2nd starter, numeroues brake pads & rotors, bulbs, _).

keep in mind that the dealer has done all the maintenance work on my car from day one; just the way i've decided to do things, not advocating you do the same.

absolutely NO engine or tranny issues at all ...i figure as long as you don't drag race from every other stoplight or run at the track every weekend, you don't have a damn thing to worry about from your Max.

and tell whomever to take that "warranty", turn that sumbish sideways, and shove it straight up their candy a$$!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:37 PM
wat

184k miles on a 99.5???? I hope its all highway miles. Id also say no to the warranty, get stuff that might go replaced before your warranty goes out. Cough cough transmission (well for us autos). They will **** a brick when I come into the dealership with a failing tranny 1 week before the warranty is up.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:14 PM

Problem is warranty place I have right now is screwing me over, they only authorized that one coil be replaced and they fix each one as they see fit...so far so good but nissan wanted all fixed cause it didnt pinpoint, it stated it could be 1-3, and the warranty place did 1, or somehting like that.

You guys sure abotu this.........I have bad luck, lol, so if I dont get it, it will prolly come back and bite me, dont get me wrong, I know the max is badass, im just scared cause i dont want to be out something expensive when I dont have the money and warranty could fix it.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:46 AM

Our nissan mechanic says.... "That engine is one of the sturdiest made in the world.. you could drag that thing through the mud and it'll come out clean"..

Ok, redneck translation: If you take care of your engine, regular oil changes, premium fuel, your car is going to take care of you... the engine has one most reliable engine like 10 years in a row, or something to that effect.

In regards to modding, doing serious changes such as turbo will void your warranty. Double check with your service manager, but ours basically said, once you do any mods to the car that changes the OEM specifications, your car fails to be OEM spec, which is what they cover... I would check with them on that, each could be different, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they wont be refunding your money if you void your warranty because of a mod.

All you can do is ask your service manager those questions and tell us what he said! :-)
Old 04-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Originally Posted by Nismo_K
If you take care of your engine, regular oil changes, premium fuel, your car is going to take care of you.
...hence, 184678 miles on a 99.5; and she still likes to fly! was running with this guy on a bike today...110mph with ease.