General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Complete VQ30DE-K Teardown from start to finish!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Complete VQ30DE-K Teardown from start to finish!

Some of you may know I got a 2000 Maxima Engine with only 22k miles on it. Got it for a pure steal. So couldnt pass it up. This was a completely working engine before they pulled it and let it sit outside for a few months. Came with the auto tranny that I dont want, so thats up for grabs.

Pictures of the COMPLETE TEARDOWN!

Basically pics are order by date I took them and did the work.

This is a complete teardown of the engine to the point where its just a block with no pistons in it! I did this myself and the total time took about 5hrs. The crank pulley bolt was rusted on there so bad that my 300ft.lb impact wouldnt remove it, then I got Jay25 (thanks again!) to come over with his 600ft.lb gun and it took it off in 5secs.

Then I proceeded to basically rip it all apart. I knew this was going to be a fairly easy task, nothing was majorily complicated as some people think. Took alot of pictures for you and for me to remember where and how the parts go back suck ast he timing chain marks and stuff.

It felt bad tearing apart this block that was basically a working engine. But I dont care cause I got some tricks up my sleeve on what I plan on doing with this block. This is going to be built up for the car. And no my current engine is not blown, I just bought this one cause Im bored and want to have a built engine ready and then swap it in there unlike most who blow their boosted cars (unexpectedly) and then have to put in another one. Might as well do it right now as far as Im concerned.

Hope yall enjoy the pictures

Dixit
Old 03-04-2004, 09:52 PM

built engine club

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Some of you may know I got a 2000 Maxima Engine with only 22k miles on it. Got it for a pure steal. So couldnt pass it up. This was a completely working engine before they pulled it and let it sit outside for a few months. Came with the auto tranny that I dont want, so thats up for grabs.

This is a complete teardown of the engine to the point where its just a block with no pistons in it! I did this myself and the total time took about 5hrs. The crank pulley bolt was rusted on there so bad that my 300ft.lb impact wouldnt remove it, then I got Jay25 (thanks again!) to come over with his 600ft.lb gun and it took it off in 5secs.

Then I proceeded to basically rip it all apart. I knew this was going to be a fairly easy task, nothing was majorily complicated as some people think. Took alot of pictures for you and for me to remember where and how the parts go back suck ast he timing chain marks and stuff.

It felt bad tearing apart this block that was basically a working engine. But I dont care cause I got some tricks up my sleeve on what I plan on doing with this block. This is going to be built up for the car. And no my current engine is not blown, I just bought this one cause Im bored and want to have a built engine ready and then swap it in there unlike most who blow their boosted cars (unexpectedly) and then have to put in another one. Might as well do it right now as far as Im concerned.

Dixit

Started working on your "too" huh Dixit? I got an engine about a month ago... I can tell you what I'm going to do w/it, but then I'd have to kill you!!!

Deac
Old 03-04-2004, 09:56 PM

Yeap, just bored, kind of used to working on the car after work for a few hours every night or so. I got a few tricks up my sleeve on this one too. Just need to get them going and then put it back together.

Dixit
Old 03-04-2004, 10:13 PM
3.0HO

Dixit
Ya cool. Get a body kit.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 3.0HO
Ya cool. Get a body kit.
Way to stay on topic here

BTW, I have a Body kit.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:18 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally Posted by 3.0HO
Ya cool. Get a body kit.
you're a ****ing genius, aren't you?

dixit: get some mechanic gloves man!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:23 PM

Gloves

way to go Dixit! You'll get used to having a garage full of maxima parts, it just happens when you have a spare engine
Old 03-04-2004, 11:43 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

HOLY SHIET!

Where the hell have I been. I knew you got the motor, but that is one heck of a tear down.

Great pics..
Old 03-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

is it me, or does that motor look likes it's got 122K miles instead of 22K...
Old 03-05-2004, 04:18 AM

From those pics, it doesn't look like a lot. Are you going to get that block nice and clean?
Old 03-05-2004, 04:50 AM
Jedi Knight

Nice pics...must be nice to have a garage and time to work on the max
Old 03-05-2004, 05:16 AM

HNDA ETR: How is it look like it has 122k on it? As I said, its dirty from the outside cause it SAT outside after it was pulled. Thats why the block has corrosion from the rain.

Deezo: Going to blast it clean maybe this weekend, get the block clean, and work on the heads by hand.

nupe500: Man ever since I bought this house, I work on the car like crazy.

Dixit
Old 03-05-2004, 05:22 AM
Jedi Knight

nupe500: Man ever since I bought this house, I work on the car like crazy.

Dixit

Funny thing is...same thing happened to me...but my next house is going to have a garage..Living in the city has its down sides...(townhome) Oh well...the break down is sweet...I'm still looking thru the 1000 pics you've got
Old 03-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Administrator

looking good
Old 03-05-2004, 06:13 AM

not only is it cool for you to show us the pics but youll proboly need them for when you put the thing back together haha thats alot of parts
Old 03-05-2004, 06:26 AM

Subs1000w: you right there. I took alot of them for that main reason. This is a very detailed part of an engine and if you are off just one link on the timing chain, you throw the valve timing off completely.

Sprintmax: Garage aint looking too good Floor is all tore up. Brand new house too. Hhhaa, Guess I "broke in" the garage.

Dixit
Old 03-05-2004, 06:33 AM

Where the heck has that engine been?! Looks like its been sitting in a forest in those lower plenum pics.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:37 AM

WOW

Especially cool since that's the same engine powering my little beast
(mostly stock beast, at least )

Anyone know how hard it is to remove the VIAS control box (at the end of the intake manifold facing the rear of the engine) and vacuum tank (in case one wants to check out the vacuum check valve for the VIAS)? Do you need a new gasket, or can you make your own for it?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Subs1000w: you right there. I took alot of them for that main reason. This is a very detailed part of an engine and if you are off just one link on the timing chain, you throw the valve timing off completely.

Sprintmax: Garage aint looking too good Floor is all tore up. Brand new house too. Hhhaa, Guess I "broke in" the garage.

Dixit

where are the my new house pics in OT? i didnt' see them
Old 03-05-2004, 07:13 AM

It looks weathered on the outside. The inside isn't bad though.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:23 AM

Garage aint looking too good Floor is all tore up. Brand new house too. Hhhaa, Guess I "broke in" the garage.

Dixit
Ain't nothing that a trip to Home Depot can't fix.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:39 AM

Sprintmax: Hahah, I prefer not to show these noobs where I live and what it looks like. There are more noob each week in OT than I can count to 25.

Deezo: na.. I think it looks better that way, plus its going to get tore up again anyways.

Dixit
Old 03-05-2004, 08:21 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Man, I want your job because there's no way I could afford to be buying engines for fun, turboing my Maxima, or working on it every day. I'm jealous

Btw, the motor looks like it was "folded up and put away wet". Make sure you clean everything up including all passages because debris and insects could have possibly clogged them up over time. There's a reason most junkyards store their motors inside and on pallets.

Dave
Old 03-05-2004, 08:26 AM

Hey Big dog, I was just watching your pics, great info again, I'm shure it's going to help me when the time come to tear up the engine, keep up the good work man and show us some more pics when you have time.

Cheers

AA
Old 03-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

BTW, this is much the reason why VQs are so incredibly stout. Not many engines have caged 4-bolt mains. This makes the block and caps incredibly strong. Overengineering at it's best.

Dave
Old 03-05-2004, 09:49 AM

link aint working for me, Ill guess Ill just take another trip up there again.

Hey Dix get a body kit! WTF where that come from
some folks dont have a full deck!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:16 AM

Yeap if you notice on the main bearing beam, the bolts are not standard hex bolts. Have you use a Reverse star bit. Dont be like some **** and try to ghetto rig that part.

Jaime, the link should be working.

DoubleA: I can help, but only through email Unless you driving the car to my house.

Dixit
Old 03-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

http://www.motorsportsengineering.sa...3-japanese.htm
The last of Nissan's street-legal race cars, the Skyline GT-R, left the assembly line several months ago, but old race cars can be resurrected with a new powertrain, in this case a twin-turbo version of the VQ30DE aluminum quadcam 3.0-L V6, which replaces the original iron-block, twin-turbo 2.6-L inline six. With a bore and stroke of 93.0 and 73.3 mm (3.66 and 2.88 in), respectively, it generates 485 hp (362 kW) at 5000 rpm.

Kenichi Sasaki, President of Nissan's racing arm, NISMO, and former chairman of JATCO, marvels about his own creation. Sasaki was Nissan's engine supremo leading a team of designers and engineers who developed the original VQ engine. "We designed the unit with optimum displacements of 2.5 and 3.0 L. Then they got it to 3.5, powering the Infiniti G35 and the Z-car, as well as a number of sedans, minivans, and even trucks. Now, we have turned it into a race winner. Maybe we overdesigned it at the onset," he said. The VQ35DETT (TT for twin turbos) is placed front-midship, with the transaxle at the rear.

Originally Posted by Dave B
BTW, this is much the reason why VQs are so incredibly stout. Not many engines have caged 4-bolt mains. This makes the block and caps incredibly strong. Overengineering at it's best.

Dave
Old 03-05-2004, 09:19 PM
STFU n00b!

Amazing what 10 years and 120k miles of neglect will do to an engine...

http://mattblehm.com/pics/engine/
(I've been doing something slightly similar to you this week. )
Old 03-05-2004, 10:06 PM

Nice job man, Im keeping an eye on this
Old 03-06-2004, 01:37 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Just wait till Dixit makes a new post about his new ported and polished heads.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:30 PM

Its too bad I didn't tkae more pics of my VG when I tore it down this summer. The valve train and the piston heads looked almost the exact same with reference to the non-existant wear and build up of crap. My valves were the same colors. The difference is that my engine has 145K on the clock. Hurray for Nissan!
Old 03-07-2004, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the write up.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:55 AM

Sick Dixit! Cant wait to see the finished product. Youre insane
Old 03-07-2004, 03:56 PM
www.autotalk.com

That looks nice. Thanks for those detailed pics. I have a spare engine sitting around but I doubt I will blow my engine ever without blower :-) I guess I should start working on the it just to increase knowledge base.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:32 PM

Tearing it apart is not all that bad as long as you have the right tools and have the ability to put it back together.

I will be doing something special to the setup which I wont go into detail cause its a work in progress.

Dixit
Old 03-07-2004, 07:18 PM
www.autotalk.com

Tearing it apart is not all that bad as long as you have the right tools and have the ability to put it back together.

I will be doing something special to the setup which I wont go into detail cause its a work in progress.

Dixit
Cant wait to see the final results.