General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got new tires and exprience with Hunter GSP9700

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 08:57 AM
The missing moderator

So I was about to get into the maxima this morning... went to crx to get stuff... I walk towards max... flat in the back... ahh hell.
So I called up discount tire... but before I did that, I looked up http://www.gsp9700.com, hunters best and badest *** balancer. Will match the tires to the rim. Bam, the DT I like best(by work) has one... so I drive on over.
4 - 235/45-17 Kumho 712's please. $101 each + life time balance + hazard + GSP9700 road match($6 per tire extra) grand total $590. ****... there goes the brake upgrades... So, you only have to do the machine once. So it's only $24 life time.
Now what they did was mount tire, inflat, throw on machine... it puts a surface with preasure onto the tire, measures imbalance, forces, blah blah... infact, the one rim I have repaired, it knew that cause it was still not completely round... hahaha smart machine. Anyways, so they run this test. If the tires puts about 12lbs of force then it needs to be matched... one was 29, another 24 or something, the other two all below that. So when they find this, they ahve to deflat, and then match it up, run test again etc. So two hours later, I have new rubber.
Z rated tires... ahh gotta love that stiff side wall. Ride is firmer once again. But these tires are louder than the SP5000 even at moderate speed. BUT they do not appear to be as loud as the RE71's were.
As for the balance, smooth at 50 and below... I'll report after lunch to freeway speed. Usually there's always a little vib no matter what I do so we will see. Plus it's only $6 a tire... I'd suggest getting it done.
-Shing
Old 03-09-2001, 09:14 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Cool....

Shing....the eternal procrastinator.....were the steel belts sticking through yet on the SP5ks?

I remember Russ (in one of his nformative posts) using this to get a vib problem out of his old Momo Arrows on his y2k Max.....he seemed impressed as well. I tried to get the same service done, but no machines were in the area a couple of years ago.

Now, there's one a couple of miles from work so it looks like the Michelins and Borbets are gonna get some lovin'......although just putting my hubcentric rings on quelled down the vibs quite a bit.....
Old 03-09-2001, 09:23 AM
The missing moderator

Hehe... actually, if it weren't for the flat, I probably wouldn't have purchased anything till april. The thing is, only the insides really blow wear bar... all other places are ok, relatively speaking.

-Shing
Old 03-09-2001, 09:36 AM

Were the Borbets causing

Originally posted by Shingles
Hehe... actually, if it weren't for the flat, I probably wouldn't have purchased anything till april. The thing is, only the insides really blow wear bar... all other places are ok, relatively speaking.

-Shing
alignment issues.....was it the pothole incident.....H&Rs.....other things that would violate the Nikelodean Rule?

Seriously, why the uneven wear? I remember your RE71s 'cupping'.......
Old 03-09-2001, 11:35 AM
RussMaxManiac

I had the issues with My momo wheels getting them balanced, and had to take my car to the oldsmobile dealer, they had one of these and got the car smooth compared to any tire place.... I was happy!

So I was about to get into the maxima this morning... went to crx to get stuff... I walk towards max... flat in the back... ahh hell.
So I called up discount tire... but before I did that, I looked up http://www.gsp9700.com, hunters best and badest *** balancer. Will match the tires to the rim. Bam, the DT I like best(by work) has one... so I drive on over.
4 - 235/45-17 Kumho 712's please. $101 each + life time balance + hazard + GSP9700 road match($6 per tire extra) grand total $590. ****... there goes the brake upgrades... So, you only have to do the machine once. So it's only $24 life time.
Now what they did was mount tire, inflat, throw on machine... it puts a surface with preasure onto the tire, measures imbalance, forces, blah blah... infact, the one rim I have repaired, it knew that cause it was still not completely round... hahaha smart machine. Anyways, so they run this test. If the tires puts about 12lbs of force then it needs to be matched... one was 29, another 24 or something, the other two all below that. So when they find this, they ahve to deflat, and then match it up, run test again etc. So two hours later, I have new rubber.
Z rated tires... ahh gotta love that stiff side wall. Ride is firmer once again. But these tires are louder than the SP5000 even at moderate speed. BUT they do not appear to be as loud as the RE71's were.
As for the balance, smooth at 50 and below... I'll report after lunch to freeway speed. Usually there's always a little vib no matter what I do so we will see. Plus it's only $6 a tire... I'd suggest getting it done.
-Shing

Old 03-09-2001, 12:39 PM
The missing moderator

Re: Were the Borbets causing

The wear? well the camber is a little negative.. and the toe is good for turn in response, but the bad for the tires.

-Shing

Originally posted by bill99gxe

-Shing
alignment issues.....was it the pothole incident.....H&Rs.....other things that would violate the Nikelodean Rule?

Seriously, why the uneven wear? I remember your RE71s 'cupping'.......
Old 03-09-2001, 01:22 PM

Ahhh.....

The wear? well the camber is a little negative.. and the toe is good for turn in response, but the bad for the tires.

-Shing
a pay to play kind of thing....OK.....
Old 03-09-2001, 02:34 PM
The missing moderator

actually I have one other theory in my head, which i think plays an equal part if not greater...

see the Toks are a bit on the soft side. So they don't dampen the roads real well, in other words, a lot of suspension movements. I think what with the way the struts are, when it compresses, you get toe in and neg camber.... I think that's what causes some of the uneven wear too.

-Shing