General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Wtf??? Awd???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:35 AM

Wtf??? Awd???

I know I've been out of the loop since I traded in the Max for the new 350Z. But, now NISSAN/INFINITI are putting out AWD cars too. Coolio...that brings hope for the 7th Generation Maxima after all. Perhaps I may be a Maxima owner once again in the not so distant future and turn my Z into a race-only vehicle.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wat?? show me some text
Old 01-22-2004, 11:01 AM

If they had the AWD g35 when I bought my max, I most definitely would have went for the g35.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:01 AM

well its already out for those ppl that are late...the infiniti g35x awd....dont expect the maxima to get a aawd or rwd...i highly doupt that...if nissan does ever put an awd or rwd sedan on the market.....itll be a totally new model and flagship changes...and it wont happen since theres always infiniti and nissan is not that stupid to collide sales with the same cars
Old 01-22-2004, 11:12 AM

I've heard that there is a good chance the 7th gen maxima will have RWD, though I've heard nothing on AWD. AWD is decent, but it does offer a lot of drivetrain loss, due to all of the rotional inertia that has to be overcome, so I'd settle happily for RWD.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:29 AM

trust me most of the maxima buyers in the US are not lookin to buy a RWD car...only ppl here on the org...who is more oriented to performance want a rwd maxima but if you look out the window and see who drives maximas...its mostly old middle aged ppl just tryin to get to work with an affordable car that brings some decent performance...they dont expect it to be a rwd.....besides that g35 sedan awd is only offered with an automatic no 6speed available for it....
Old 01-22-2004, 11:32 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
I've heard ..
from where?
Old 01-22-2004, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
from where?
"The grapevine". I've also "heard" that the new Acura RL (after the new one - so one generation in the future) will likely be RWD. Unfortunately the current maxima and RL have gotten to the realistic limits of FWD. It doesn't make sense to throw another 30 HP in a maxima if you can't get the power to the wheels properly. Of course, as Gooey mentioned, most owners of a Maxima really couldn't care less because they drive their car slow anyway and never come close to using what the car is already capable of.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:07 PM
It's chrome alright...

"The grapevine".
sorry to be skeptical but so far none of the "rumors" have come true... actually the awd g35 came true, other than that though... nada.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:28 PM

Rwd

I don't know.... maybe the ingredients are right for a RWD Max.

The Altima continues to crowd the Maxima market; it's on the same platform, nearly the same dimensions. Pricing is nearly the same.

The Maxima continues to get bigger and more luxurious, ie. Gen 6.

The Infiniti M45 - very healthy V-8, RWD. It would be easy for Nissan to rebadge this car. Could be a low 12 second car with weight reduction.

Random thoughts............
Old 01-22-2004, 01:10 PM

thers no point....its never gonna happen....nissan isnt stupid...if they make the maxima any bigger or powerful, theyre just gonna call it an infiniti in the states...besides maxima sales are so down they might as well just take it off the line or just give it an infiniti badge....which there is already which is the i35..so dont look for any rwd maximas in the future...if you want a rwd get the g35...and dont even compare that to a max because g35's are based on the Z...the inevitable is that cars will eventually get faster and faster....who knows maybe the speed limit in the future is gonna average around 250mph but when transportation on ground getst hat fast itll probably be all automated by computers so be happy wiht your cars as it is now if not get a 350z...im savin all my pennies to trade my max in for the z oneday
Old 01-22-2004, 02:32 PM

The AWD is only for the 4door G35.. nothing for the 2 door
Old 01-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by maxmobile
The AWD is only for the 4door G35.. nothing for the 2 door
They both will be AWD
Old 01-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Custom User Title

I've heard that there is a good chance the 7th gen maxima will have RWD, though I've heard nothing on AWD. AWD is decent, but it does offer a lot of drivetrain loss, due to all of the rotional inertia that has to be overcome, so I'd settle happily for RWD.
I have heard that the G35 AWD system will be much like the R34 Skyline drivetrain...When driving, power is only sent to the rear wheels, then activates the AWD when the car senses traction loss..correct me if im wrong, this will help reduce the drivetrain loss for normal driving.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm needing a caw

Most AWD systems are this way. It helps a little bit for mileage. But you still have to carry all the extra AWD drivetrain around.

Originally Posted by ImStockBaby
I have heard that the G35 AWD system will be much like the R34 Skyline drivetrain...When driving, power is only sent to the rear wheels, then activates the AWD when the car senses traction loss..correct me if im wrong, this will help reduce the drivetrain loss for normal driving.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:10 PM
The original VQ...

damm that must be fun

but the reason i think the maxima will never be AWD is because its fwd to begin with unlike the the g35, it would be much harder for nissan to make a rwd or a fwd from a maxima and i dont think nissan would want to spend the and time.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Im izz sexay

From past Maxima history I believe that the first gens were RWD then Nissan did the FWD conversion and stuck to it.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:37 PM

no actualy im fine with a fwd or a rwd maxima, i don't really care for a awd, im not going to 4 wheel da biatch, and i most deffinetly still want to beat them ricers, with a awd u mind as well get a child seat in it and hudge @$$ system and some 20's on and cause u aren't gonna be racing, its just too much torque needed for a awd to race it, and its gonna take some heavy modification to make is fast, they should just make a rwd conversion kit so we can have one or the other so it would be a win/win situation for most of us at the org., its almost impossible but that's just my opinion.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:20 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by maxima98vspec
no actualy im fine with a fwd or a rwd maxima, i don't really care for a awd, im not going to 4 wheel da biatch, and i most deffinetly still want to beat them ricers, with a awd u mind as well get a child seat in it and hudge @$$ system and some 20's on and cause u aren't gonna be racing, its just too much torque needed for a awd to race it, and its gonna take some heavy modification to make is fast, they should just make a rwd conversion kit so we can have one or the other so it would be a win/win situation for most of us at the org., its almost impossible but that's just my opinion.
lol...ya it would be like a dream come true
Old 01-23-2004, 12:32 AM

If Nissan decides to use the new Nissan Teana/ NZ 04 Maxima as the replacement for the I35, then theres a chance it may come in a AWD version, as the Teana is suppose to be made in a AWD version too . You wouldn't have a US Maxima, but you could say you had an international Maxima
Old 01-23-2004, 01:39 AM
be the change u want2C

Theres a reason why they call a G35 a Skyline in Japan, casue that 4wd system they have is the same one in the skyline(or R32-R34), its the best one and fastest most efficent one ever made, using 4wd only when needed and most of the time its rwd, I forgot the Technical term for it but just call it GOD like 4wd for now, This technology was invented with the creation of the R32 GTR which we all know as the king of king cars, or atleast one of them.

Basically this system was made so that the Skyline can drift better, and have a better top end, it switches back and 4th
Old 01-23-2004, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Theres a reason why they call a G35 a Skyline in Japan, casue that 4wd system they have is the same one in the skyline(or R32-R34), its the best one and fastest most efficent one ever made, using 4wd only when needed and most of the time its rwd, I forgot the Technical term for it but just call it GOD like 4wd for now, This technology was invented with the creation of the R32 GTR which we all know as the king of king cars, or atleast one of them.

Basically this system was made so that the Skyline can drift better, and have a better top end, it switches back and 4th
THAT'S FREAKING RETARDED!
The 4WD system was exclusive to the Skyline GTR only. There are several other variants of the Skyline model, and those were RWD. The GTR variants were the ONLY models, offered with ATTESA. The VSPEC and VSPECII had the slightly better ATTESA-ETS Pro. The 4WD system was created to help the GTR maintain a line through a turn and to try and hide some of its high curb weight. It DOES NOT HELP THE CAR DRIFT. The tendency of a 4WD/AWD car is to understeer a bit, and causes the car to powerslide when the limits of traction are reached. The 4WD system on the GTR, was created to help send power to the right drive wheels, to maintain traction through a turn. It can send up to 50% of the torque to the front wheels, and is only active when the rear is slipping. It also takes into consideration steering input, and throttle position to determine which wheel to send power to.

TK

PS In the movie 2Fast 2Furious, they had to DISABLE the 4WD system on the GTR, so that it would drift through a turn like the other cars. Where are you getting your information?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:25 AM
be the change u want2C

Mr Skyline, where are you getting your information, The kind of drifting in FF is a show drift, do you even know what a real drift is?!??!?!?, those show drift are for show a regular turn would get you outa there faster,
Old 01-23-2004, 10:47 AM
I love lamp.

Hmmm, I really doubt that Nissan is gonna move the maxima to RWD. The last RWD maxima was made 20 years ago, and it moved to FWD. I don't think Nissan is going to make a push to switch it back because the FWD was what kinda made the car more popular. AWD maybe, but still it's all speculation. We can sit here and discuss how they could do this and do that, but right now, since nothing has been done, and probably won't be for at least another 3 years.....it's probably makes this thread worthless IMHO. I'd rather wait for Nissan to make a move first.

S
Old 01-23-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

Please stop arguing. This guy just you. Nissan didn't make the their Skyline to "drift" better. I'm on a short fuse today. Please don't test me again.

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Mr Skyline, where are you getting your information, The kind of drifting in FF is a show drift, do you even know what a real drift is?!??!?!?, those show drift are for show a regular turn would get you outa there faster,
Old 01-23-2004, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
lol...ya it would be like a dream come true
yea for some people that would be, it would be nice for the torque u would get but i would want to drive my car in the winter also.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nissan has already used the attesa in the murano...so i could see it moving as AN OPTION in some of their other vehicles.

The M45 had a really short run. From sources I've heard the Nissan Fuga

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow...3/page007.html

Will be the next M45...I think nissan will keep the sedan market seperate from the infiniti market as the I30/I35 wasnt a big seller at all. The SUV market is really mixed as infiniti is trying to sell their FX series which for most, was just too radical. I also think nissan shot themselves in the foot with the murano. They are making an interesting move by making the pathfinder (not the armada) bigger in 2005 with a 4.0 VQ. I would not doubt seeing maximas with a 4.0 in them for the future.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by G20Flyer
Nissan has already used the attesa in the murano...so i could see it moving as AN OPTION in some of their other vehicles.

The M45 had a really short run. From sources I've heard the Nissan Fuga

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow...3/page007.html

Will be the next M45...I think nissan will keep the sedan market seperate from the infiniti market as the I30/I35 wasnt a big seller at all. The SUV market is really mixed as infiniti is trying to sell their FX series which for most, was just too radical. I also think nissan shot themselves in the foot with the murano. They are making an interesting move by making the pathfinder (not the armada) bigger in 2005 with a 4.0 VQ. I would not doubt seeing maximas with a 4.0 in them for the future.
The Murano got the AWD system, and the one on the G35 is the same one. Maybe Nissan is just testing the waters for the supposedly upcoming GTR. I agree about the Murano though, why would Nissan need 3 SUVs in the line up, unless their plan was to move the Pathfinder up.

TK
Old 01-27-2004, 04:05 AM

Heh, they have 4 SUV's here: Patrol, Pathfinder, X-trail and Terrano. Would have thought they have more on the US market then they do where I live, since the US has a higher demand for them.