General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Iron Lung's car with cams and Cattman headers *Vid*

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 04:44 PM
I miss the .org!

That Max Looks and Sounds mean!
Old 01-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
true I don't see a VI really worth it unless your car fits within the years for the JWT ECU with raised rev limiter. I think Dave B, Neal, I30 Mike, and a few others have proven this on N/A cars. After all Matt is the first to break 200whp on a 4th gen on motor and considering cars dynoing 190whp trapping 99-100 I do see him pulling on a stock srt-4.
OT, but I really don't see how the VI ACUALLY works, it's suppost to make the intake runners shorter right? But by looking at pics of the manifold, it seems that the butterfly valves just open to a hollow space? It doesnt physicaly direct the air to a shorter route... So how does it work really? ME = confused
Old 01-11-2004, 06:48 PM
no more maxima...

Wow. I like the way that car sounds at WOT. The burbling idle sounds nice, but is definitely not deep enough to sound like a V8.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:25 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally Posted by ImStockBaby
OT, but I really don't see how the VI ACUALLY works, it's suppost to make the intake runners shorter right? But by looking at pics of the manifold, it seems that the butterfly valves just open to a hollow space? It doesnt physicaly direct the air to a shorter route... So how does it work really? ME = confused

I am taking a "GUESS" form what I have heard.

It's changes the resonance (sp) of the airflow. Thus it acts like it is coming from a shorter runner.

Hope that is right and I hope it helps
Old 01-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bags533
27 WHP

And let's be honest, this is the FIRST NA maxima I have seen with over 200 WHP
When you look at the numbers and the RPM, the VI is a MUST for those who want the most area under the curve
And for someone who does not own a VI, you make it sound like you know all the problems.
Which BTW were almost ALL related to Harlan RPM switches
You are right, I am not a VI owner, all I can go off is what other people have posted and what seems like a concensus that it causes a lot of problems and a lot of times does not open up or activate properly.

OK enough with all the arrogant comments lets let that go. But I really don't see how you would beat a 350whp Civic when you won't even make 300whp on 7psi and 3" exhaust, and the civic weighing less than you making a lot more power. Could you beat it yes but if it was running up to par on the supposed 350whp he would run all over you. Also check the times of Z06's man its as easy as that. They trap 114 stock and there is no max shy of 380whp that will come close to those traps. I'm just stating facts man, take them as you want. Yes I appreciate you prototyping different items and your car is nice but with all this talk about peoples cars being slow or weak without having track times of your own says a lot on its own. I just call it as I see it...
I do not have dyno proven at 3" exhaust at 7psi, but it is over the 300whp mark.. I would guarrantee it, there is absolutely no reason why it wouldn't be. I have had this argument before and it's nothing i can win without redyno'ing the car. However, there are no in ground dyno's within a 2 hour drive of my area and I am sure as hell not making up an above ground dyno.

I also have no tracked my car, and honestly don't have any intentions to.. I run too big of brakes to fit behind most wheels that can fit slicks and my car will never get off the line without them.

true I don't see a VI really worth it unless your car fits within the years for the JWT ECU with raised rev limiter. I think Dave B, Neal, I30 Mike, and a few others have proven this on N/A cars. After all Matt is the first to break 200whp on a 4th gen on motor and considering cars dynoing 190whp trapping 99-100 I do see him pulling on a stock srt-4.
I couldn't agree more.. you are correct.

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
VI worthless if your NA hahahaahah.....Who has the fastest NA maxima's??? Oh yhea, guys with the VI.
It's unfair to compair boosted to n/a so i won't even bring it up.. i just don't think the VI is all it is cracked up to be, especially with the great loss of power down low and overall torque loss.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Old Maxima Legend

mike i think you are fastest na with mevi ? i will be knocking on your door soon ! but 14.19 man thats going to be a tough time to get close too.. hey good going by the way !

ironlung take that beast out on the track and get some more videos with open headers, now that is the way to hit the track ! will sound great out there
Old 01-11-2004, 08:22 PM

Can we get a vidoe if idle with catback on?
Old 01-11-2004, 08:23 PM
aka UNCDooD

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
mike i think you are fastest na with mevi ? i will be knocking on your door soon ! but 14.19 man thats going to be a tough time to get close too.. hey good going by the way !

you and me both.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:34 AM

WOW... THAT IS AMAZING!!! the car idles like a BIG American V8 but still has the great japanese tone when it revs (not talking about rice, i'm talking about the real GT300 and GT500 japanese cars, such as skyline, supras, silvias....) man that'd be my next mod if it didn't cost soo freaking much.

recent dyno slips and comparable track times and plenty more videos would be great.
great job iron lung!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

It's unfair to compair boosted to n/a so i won't even bring it up.. i just don't think the VI is all it is cracked up to be, especially with the great loss of power down low and overall torque loss.
I agree, but when did I compare the VI, boost, and N/A??

I was responding to this comment by you

I am sorry, but that just kind of proves everything I have ever said about the VI.. It's such a waste on an n/a car, you can't compensate for the problems that always occur and it hardly ever kicking in correctly. Maybe I am just saying for experiences told me, and experiences that I have been posted.. since I wouldn't waste a cent on a VI.
The VI is not a waste. I will not make a max slower in the 1/4 and will give drastic gains in highway acceleration over the stock manifold.

You can compensate for the loss of mid range loss. The JWT ECU.

There have been problems with the VI activation, but it was not the VI its self. I my self had problems but a different rpm switch fixed it. Just like any new mod there will bugs that needed to be worked out, which I am sure you are familiar with having built a custom turbo kit. Did eveything work the first time?

Most people who say the VI is worhless have never owned one or driven a car with one.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
Thanks but....No I am not even close the fastest

Neal is by far the fastest with his 13.6 @101 on slicks. But I will have slicks soon so I may give him a run for his money in the spring. Now that he is going forward with this turbo project I don't have to worry about him bettering his NA times. 13's in the spring for me and with the addition of a catback and 70mm throttle body I hope to get close to his 13.6. . On street tires he is still two tenths faster than me so I have some ground to make up.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the car sounds boss. must be a cop magnet. the first vid sounds so sweet. just awesome. intimidating.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
I agree, but when did I compare the VI, boost, and N/A??

I was responding to this comment by you
I was just saying you are right.. not trying to add fire or anything.

The VI is not a waste. I will not make a max slower in the 1/4 and will give drastic gains in highway acceleration over the stock manifold.

You can compensate for the loss of mid range loss. The JWT ECU.

There have been problems with the VI activation, but it was not the VI its self. I my self had problems but a different rpm switch fixed it. Just like any new mod there will bugs that needed to be worked out, which I am sure you are familiar with having built a custom turbo kit. Did eveything work the first time?

Most people who say the VI is worhless have never owned one or driven a car with one.
I agree, and like I said I don't have experience with it, I just know what I read and what I am told. And of course nothing works out the first time, it just seems like one of those mods that has problem after problem.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bags533
27 WHP

And let's be honest, this is the FIRST NA maxima I have seen with over 200 WHP

When you look at the numbers and the RPM, the VI is a MUST for those who want the most area under the curve

And for someone who does not own a VI, you make it sound like you know all the problems.

Which BTW were almost ALL related to Harlan RPM switches
There is an all motor SR20DE on www.sr20forums.com that makes over 200fwhp NA, how is that for a 4-banga? It has every bolt-on and some cylinder work with cams. VQ making 200fwhp is doable in my opinion with some work...
Old 01-12-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cutlr7
There is an all motor SR20DE on www.sr20forums.com that makes over 200fwhp NA, how is that for a 4-banga? It has every bolt-on and some cylinder work with cams. VQ making 200fwhp is doable in my opinion with some work...
Umm...Iron Lung already has over 200FWHP. That's why he said it.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
Umm...Iron Lung already has over 200FWHP. That's why he said it.
hehe, well you know what I meant. His car does sound wicked with the new set-up
Old 01-12-2004, 04:29 PM

I don't know how anyone can compare the sound of the JWT/Headers to a V8. Yes, the engine does idle lumpy because it has a cam, but it sounds no where near a V8. I don't think a lot of people here have heard a V8 with a radical cam or open exhaust. The sound reminds me of a DSM or EVO with cams.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:30 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
These videos are with the stock manifold, cams, headers, and exhaust connected.

http://team310.com/maxima/mattnomevi001.mpg

http://team310.com/maxima/mattnomevi004.mpg

Enjoy! I'll try to get one of his car at idle with his exhaust connected soon.
um..maybe i'm a little slow..but Stock manifolds, cams, HEADERS , and exhaust connected... how can u have stock manifolds AND headers????

BTW..his idle...as bad a$$ as it sounds..can be fixed. MY SE-R with s4s 264 for the non SE-R peeps, sounds stock and pulls like a SOB. i wonder if he has the cam program in the ECU...doesnt sound like it to me...

Old 01-12-2004, 04:33 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

yes..i love my SR20 boards. the sr20 u saw and c3 cams, Z pistons, blah blah blah. SR20s are awesome! Can wait to have a 300 WHP SE-R come spring! and..um..just about EVERY 02+ 3.5 makes over 200 FWHP..

Old 01-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
um..maybe i'm a little slow..but Stock manifolds, cams, HEADERS , and exhaust connected... how can u have stock manifolds AND headers????

BTW..his idle...as bad a$$ as it sounds..can be fixed. MY SE-R with s4s 264 for the non SE-R peeps, sounds stock and pulls like a SOB. i wonder if he has the cam program in the ECU...doesnt sound like it to me...
intake manifold.. not exhaust manifold
Old 01-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Boosted Panda

His cam sounds so lumpy because he has the idle set real low. He prefers the slow lumpy sound.
Im wondering, what would the gains look like with out the MEVI.
Would cams and all other bolt ons yeild 200whp? By all other bolt ons I mean intake/ypipe/Exhaust/UDP/Flywheel/Ecu
Old 01-12-2004, 06:25 PM

yes..i love my SR20 boards. the sr20 u saw and c3 cams, Z pistons, blah blah blah. SR20s are awesome! Can wait to have a 300 WHP SE-R come spring! and..um..just about EVERY 02+ 3.5 makes over 200 FWHP..
Yeah that guy Andreas Miko, his car is sick, high 13s all motor. I plan on having Header, CAI, cams, not sure which ones yet. Prolly will do s3s, better for boost
Old 01-12-2004, 06:56 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Yeah that guy Andreas Miko, his car is sick, high 13s all motor. I plan on having Header, CAI, cams, not sure which ones yet. Prolly will do s3s, better for boost
S4s for boost...thats what i know! s4s rock!

Old 01-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

JWT makes it a point to tell the buyer that the VQ will induce a notable loop near idle. I knw they suggest a 900rpm idle, but I'm uncertain the ECU will let you set the idle that high. I could definately be wrong about this though. As for the cam program, there is none for the VQ plus he has a 99 which means he's SOL when it comes to ECU upgrades.

and..um..just about EVERY 02+ 3.5 makes over 200 FWHP..
Very true, but the 5th gens weigh ~250lb more than the 4th gens. 4th gen 5 speeds with the MEVI, JWT ECU, intake, and y-pipe have hit 200fwhp. With cams added, I could definately see the VQ making 215-220fwhp at 6600-6800rpms.

Dave
Old 01-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I did a comparison of Iron Lung's current dyno vs my dyno (before the JWT ECU, 189fwhp/185fwhp) and it's pretty amazing the difference the cams make above 5000rpms. The cams hurt performance from 2000-3500rpms, but after that the cams own. Above 6000rpms and the cams obliterate my power. At 4000rpms, there is definately a realized gain and that's good because with the stock ECU, the 1-2 shift lands around in the lower 4000rpm range. With the extended rev limiter to say around 7500rpms, this would be an absolutely sick NA combo. The cams net upper rpm gains much like another MEVI. With the 7500rpm limiter and running through a 5000-7000rpm powerband, I don't see why a slightly weight reduced 4th gen (CF hood, lightweight battery, no seats) on slicks couldn't hit 13.2-13.3@104mph or so.

I wish the cams weren't such a pain or expense to remove and put in.

Dave
Old 01-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Dave B
I did a comparison of Iron Lung's current dyno vs my dyno (before the JWT ECU, 189fwhp/185fwhp) and it's pretty amazing the difference the cams make above 5000rpms. The cams hurt performance from 2000-3500rpms, but after that the cams own. Above 6000rpms and the cams obliterate my power. At 4000rpms, there is definately a realized gain and that's good because with the stock ECU, the 1-2 shift lands around in the lower 4000rpm range. With the extended rev limiter to say around 7500rpms, this would be an absolutely sick NA combo. The cams net upper rpm gains much like another MEVI. With the 7500rpm limiter and running through a 5000-7000rpm powerband, I don't see why a slightly weight reduced 4th gen (CF hood, lightweight battery, no seats) on slicks couldn't hit 13.2-13.3@104mph or so.

I wish the cams weren't such a pain or expense to remove and put in.

Dave
So basicly to get the full benift of cams the way to go is MEVI and JWT being that in the higher RPMs is where the cams build their real power?
I was considering cams, but only if I could achieve the 200whp with my current setup.
Hate to dish out another G to get the full effect of the thousand spent on cams.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:41 AM

S4s for boost...thats what i know! s4s rock!
Not according to some of the guys who have the turbos already
Old 01-13-2004, 10:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

My car's auto, and idles about 900-950 when in Nuetral, and about 750-800 when in D. Just FYI
Old 01-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
My car's auto, and idles about 900-950 when in Nuetral, and about 750-800 when in D. Just FYI
ok.........
Old 01-13-2004, 10:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

I knw they suggest a 900rpm idle, but I'm uncertain the ECU will let you set the idle that high.

Dave
Old 01-13-2004, 11:04 AM

Because these cams dial in some considerable valve overlap I'm sure. If you use these cams with boost some boost might escape the combustion chamber through the open exhaust valves at the beginning of the intake stroke. This is my theory. Can anyone confirm??
I've read that in one of Corky Bell's books.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:13 PM
SLOW

Dave did you overlay his and your runs with the dynojet dyno viewer? If so could you do it again and take a screenshot of it and post it? I'd really like to see it. I will try to find my MEVI/JWT ECU dyno run files and if I do I will ask Iron for his and overlay them and post them.

As for the sound I don't hear anything different about it? Iron Lung can you tell a sound difference in the car? Internet video sound is usually kindof distorted.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:24 PM

What's really good with the video of cams on with catback at idle.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Dave did you overlay his and your runs with the dynojet dyno viewer? If so could you do it again and take a screenshot of it and post it? I'd really like to see it. I will try to find my MEVI/JWT ECU dyno run files and if I do I will ask Iron for his and overlay them and post them.
Unfortunately, no. All I did was use my dyno data and then used a print out of his dyno graph and marked off points with a ruler. At about 4000rpms, he's starting to see about 5-6fwhp more than my car did. I say "did" because I haven't dynoed with the JWT ECU yet. Either way, his car is making more or the same kind of power as a car with the MEVI/JWT at 4000rpms. After 5000rpms, things get stupid. At 6500rpms, his car is making 210fwhp whereas mine was only making 184fwhp. Between 5000-6500rpms there's about 20fwhp extra. Who knows how sick it could get after 6500rpms. I'm almost wondering if he's even hit true peak power yet especially considering his MEVI might have been malfunctioning.

Dave
Old 01-13-2004, 09:15 PM

Unfortunately, no. All I did was use my dyno data and then used a print out of his dyno graph and marked off points with a ruler. At about 4000rpms, he's starting to see about 5-6fwhp more than my car did. I say "did" because I haven't dynoed with the JWT ECU yet. Either way, his car is making more or the same kind of power as a car with the MEVI/JWT at 4000rpms. After 5000rpms, things get stupid. At 6500rpms, his car is making 210fwhp whereas mine was only making 184fwhp. Between 5000-6500rpms there's about 20fwhp extra. Who knows how sick it could get after 6500rpms. I'm almost wondering if he's even hit true peak power yet especially considering his MEVI might have been malfunctioning.

Dave

I really want to get the JWT cams but the install is the big hurdle. Headers I could do, but cams.....I am not even going to try and the cost to pay someone is not an option either.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
As for the sound I don't hear anything different about it? Iron Lung can you tell a sound difference in the car? Internet video sound is usually kindof distorted.
There is a difference in sound, but my exhaust is so quiet that all you hear is the intake. The US manifold is much louder than the VI was, but I don't think it sounds as good.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:26 AM

I know they suggest a 900rpm idle, but I'm uncertain the ECU will let you set the idle that high.

Dave
It will let you set it above 1k.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:50 AM

It will let you set it above 1k.
Times I have tried adusting my idle it went back to the previous setting within a few miles.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

I agree.

Headers+MEVI+Cams+JWT ECU would be VERY nice.

Dave
Old 01-14-2004, 12:14 PM

Has the videos been pulled down? I want to get them again.

Quick Reply: Iron Lung's car with cams and Cattman headers *Vid*