General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Recommend Windows-based scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Recommend Windows-based scan tool?

I've been thinking about purchasing an inexpensive Windows-based OBD-II scan tool that I can install on an old laptop. These tools appear to be a lot more flexible than the inexpensive hardware-based code readers sold at places like Sears and AutoZone.

I've looked at the OBDII Automotive Scan Tool and Virtual Dashboard at www.odb-2.com as well as OBDScan at http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/obdscan.html. Both look like pretty decent products. Anyone recommend either of these? Are there other products out there that I should be considering, but just haven't stumbled across yet?
Old 11-29-2003, 04:55 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by DanL
I've been thinking about purchasing an inexpensive Windows-based OBD-II scan tool that I can install on an old laptop. These tools appear to be a lot more flexible than the inexpensive hardware-based code readers sold at places like Sears and AutoZone.

I've looked at the OBDII Automotive Scan Tool and Virtual Dashboard at www.odb-2.com as well as OBDScan at http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/obdscan.html. Both look like pretty decent products. Anyone recommend either of these? Are there other products out there that I should be considering, but just haven't stumbled across yet?
i would like to put my vote in the harrison unit. i bought it on the recommendation of a local org member. its very straight forward and has been extremely useful on my car and family/friends. i purchased a new desktop so i essentially dumped everything of my old compaq laptop and now its just used for a travel/diagnostic computer. great customer service @ harrison and very prompt shipping.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sloppymax
i would like to put my vote in the harrison unit. i bought it on the recommendation of a local org member. its very straight forward and has been extremely useful on my car and family/friends. i purchased a new desktop so i essentially dumped everything of my old compaq laptop and now its just used for a travel/diagnostic computer. great customer service @ harrison and very prompt shipping.

Got to agree.....Palm based, simple , plug and play with onboard diagnostic ability.
Big cracker