General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help, my maxima is dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help, my maxima is dangerous

recently my car is acting really weird
1st, when i turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, there would be some kind of grinidng noise....even if the car is not moving.
2nd, whenever i go over a bigger pothole or bump....there would be a clanking noise coming from the back ....close to those 2 wheels.
3rd, my vibrates pretty bad and there is some kind of grinding noise around 60mph..... the grinding noise is not very loud at all....you have to turn off the music and listen carefully to hear it

now my question is ....where should I go to get all these check out? should i go to nissan dealer? (my car is out of warranty)
or is there a specialty shop that I can go?
how much do shops/mechanics normally charge to look at cars?

thanks
Old 10-11-2003, 03:38 PM
3.0HO

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Maxima.

Take it to the dealer but try to tell them the problem rather than let them decide if it is a problem or not. Hopefully you get the answers your looking for.

Old 10-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Kevlo for President

check your power steering fluid level, might me low.
rear stuts may be blown.
Are your tires good?, bent rim?, bad wheel bearing?, have u had balencing and alighnment done? are your cv axles still good?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:08 PM

Biomax,

On the turn to the left, could be that the tire is rubbing against the plastic wheel well lining, it makes a HORRIBLE noise. Like as if you are rubbing the rotors with a metal plate. Ive had this happen more than 3times with my car.

On the pothole noise, check the RSB. I cant tell if you do from your webpage. But something could be wrong on that. If no RSB, then check the struts.

On the grinding noise, Almost sounds like it could be a wheel bearing.

Dixit
Old 10-12-2003, 10:02 AM

it might be the tire rubbing against the plastic wheel lining.....how can i fix it?

I'll check out the RSB probably monday/tuesday

how much would a wheel bearing cost?

not sure about whether the wheels are bent or not ....i hope its not.....but all these problems just all of sudden start to happening recently.

thanks for all the replies
Old 10-12-2003, 12:50 PM

Fairly easy to check the plastic well lining, just turn it all the way and get someone to look at it to make sure it aint touching.

Wheel bearing, dont know how much that is going to run, but I swear I remember ethan buying one for $200, but I think it was a complete joint.

Dixit
Old 10-13-2003, 12:43 PM

ok, i had a tech check it out today ...here is what he told me

for the front, its b/c there a rubber piece that function as a dampering device is out of place .... he said just replace that one should solve the problem
i'm not sure what that piece is called.....can someone tell me? i took the pic w/my phone...so its really dark......i circled the rubber piece with blue lines

as far as the noise from the back, he said its b/c my rear shocks are going out ....so i guess i'll have to replace that too.

thanks for all the help
Old 10-13-2003, 12:52 PM

Thats a spring perch rubber insulator. Basically to keep it from metal to metal noise.

Dixit