General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Cover your VIN

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 03:07 PM

Cover your VIN

A friend of mine that works fro the Dallas Daily news is working on an article about this:

It seems that car thieves have found another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a
duplicate key based on the VIN [number].

The car dealer's parts dept. will make a duplicate key from the VIN number without asking for proof of ownership or ID and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is to walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local chop shop with your vehicle. It is that easy.

To keep this from happening to you, simply put some opaque (electrical, duct or medical) tape across the VIN label located on the dash board.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN [number], but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another vehicle.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
A friend of mine that works fro the Dallas Daily news is working on an article about this:

It seems that car thieves have found another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN number from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a
duplicate key based on the VIN [number].

The car dealer's parts dept. will make a duplicate key from the VIN number without asking for proof of ownership or ID and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is to walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local chop shop with your vehicle. It is that easy.

To keep this from happening to you, simply put some opaque (electrical, duct or medical) tape across the VIN label located on the dash board.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN [number], but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another vehicle.
I agree with you on that...here in the DC Metro area WANADA (Washington Area New Automobile Dealers Association) require all dealers to request proof of ownership before a key is cut...even if you have an original cut key for that car. Penny for our thought. But I will pass your post alone
Old 09-26-2003, 03:23 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

interesting, what kind of stupid dealers give keys out without proof of ownership
Old 09-26-2003, 03:25 PM

That sucks, but not all dealerships do this. Most ask for tons of proof. I've read a few times that some don't even make you a key even though you've showed them some proof. They should ask to see the title and stuff to make a key...
Old 09-26-2003, 03:31 PM

I saw this on 20/20. A rep from the show copied the vin from a police cruiser and copied the key. They caught up with the officer and asked if they could try and start his car. They did.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:39 PM
It's chrome alright...

you doubters are also assuming the thief doesn't know someone at the dealer... all it takes is a friend to make a key and nobody had to know.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
you doubters are also assuming the thief doesn't know someone at the dealer... all it takes is a friend to make a key and nobody had to know.

You got that right !!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But isn't it different with the chipped keys? I think they require the car to be present for the keys to be programmed.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:01 PM
It's chrome alright...

maybe to start it, but not to open the door.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:44 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by MacAlert
But isn't it different with the chipped keys? I think they require the car to be present for the keys to be programmed.

yea but if ur gettin it from the dealer, and they're using ur vin, they wil KNOW that u need the chipped key and make u the same chipped replacement key
Old 09-26-2003, 06:58 PM

So much for security. Time for an aftermarket alarm!!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:25 PM
STFU n00b!

Oh that's funny.. just cover it up with electrical tape?

Next time you're out washing your car, take a look at all the original windows that are in it- if there are any. you'll notice a cool feature of every window on the car having your VIN sandblasted into it.
it's also on the front fenders of many nissans, if you just lift the hood you'll see it. often you can see it by looking between the hood and fender with a flashlight.

little electrical tape will cover that right up.

small things only keep out the small timers. just like door locks only hold back the honest people. if they want your car, VIN, Key, Window, steering column.. theyr'e not going to matter.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:40 PM

if they want your car they are going tow it and in less than 1 minute your car is gone.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:49 PM
ivelweyz

Originally Posted by optimus310
if they want your car they are going tow it and in less than 1 minute your car is gone.
I know a guy who does that...

Old 09-26-2003, 10:21 PM
www.autotalk.com

This reminds me that I need to put my VIN# back on the dash that I never did after the interior swap
Old 09-26-2003, 10:58 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Max4Speed
This reminds me that I need to put my VIN# back on the dash that I never did after the interior swap

that be a good idea
Old 09-27-2003, 01:35 AM

I see one problem with hiding the VIN... couldn't it be found either on the inspection or registration sticket on your windshield? I forget which had it (I'm pretty sure it's the registration one that comes from the DMV, renewed yearly), but I recall one does have it and it's pretty obvious that that is one thing that can't be hidden.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:10 AM

I always thought it was illegal to have your VIN number covered.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:56 AM
V^___^V

Originally Posted by Y2KSESteve
I always thought it was illegal to have your VIN number covered.

is it illegal in CA? daymn i'm kinda worried...
Old 09-27-2003, 03:03 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by NYC 92 GXEr
I see one problem with hiding the VIN... couldn't it be found either on the inspection or registration sticket on your windshield? I forget which had it (I'm pretty sure it's the registration one that comes from the DMV, renewed yearly), but I recall one does have it and it's pretty obvious that that is one thing that can't be hidden.
I know here in DC, the city puts the VIN# on your state inspection sticker and on the plates expiration sticker now located on the front windshield...on the same side as the VIN plate...so I guess those of us who have DC registered vehicles are damned.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:29 AM

a dealership with sense will ask for proof of ownership along with ID, is not that simple I had a dup key made for my mom and I could not get the key I had to bring her with me for her to get her key. Now if the guy is hooking them up like gone in 60secs the movie (with benz keys) then thats a different story, it can happen in any state.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:56 AM

its good to have an aftermarket alarm...my alarm will go off if they open my car w/ a key & not disabling the alarm from remote first....and no you cant start car if alarm is going off & you have a key....
Old 09-27-2003, 07:42 AM

if you guys did not know the factory Nissan alarm if triggered you can drive the car off with the alarm on but in less then 3 secs watch the car slam to a stop, they use tranny lock, only for autos
Old 09-27-2003, 01:24 PM

Is this for 4th/5th or 6th gen?

...or was it for 3rd gen?

I wonder if I could try this....I turn on the stock alarm with driver's window open. Then I climb into my own car from the window, start the car with my key, and after 3 seconds of driving.....my car will slam into a stop?

Is this true?

Originally Posted by JAY25
if you guys did not know the factory Nissan alarm if triggered you can drive the car off with the alarm on but in less then 3 secs watch the car slam to a stop, they use tranny lock, only for autos
Old 09-28-2003, 12:51 AM

Interesting article, I never heard of a dealership simply give you a key for the car. I thought most cars that have computer chip in it, you have to have that little plate number that came with the keys when you bought it new in order to get a new key made. Interesting, maybe some dumb *** service dept don't even ask for registration or I.D.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE

I think paranoia is what causes people to become victims. Like it was said, in NYS the VIN is on the reggie stuck to the windshield, so what? You're gonna peel that off then? Trying to disguise the VIN is like pulling the shades down and using photoshop to blur the license plate when you post your car on the web.

Thieves are thieves, they will take what they will. But don't think they don't understand risk vs. reward. Do any of you really think you are so special that someone is gonna put the stake out on you, and go through various steps over several days to steal your Maxima? I dunno about Dallas but it happens a lot quicker here in the Northeast. Then again I heard you can buy a huge house for 250,000 in Dallas. C'mon now, if they want it, they'll take it in one shot!
Old 09-28-2003, 09:51 AM
STFU n00b!

heh.. $250k for a house? waste of money.. here's what you can buy in Tulsa, OK for $250k.
http://remax.realtor.com/FindHome/Ho...5&lnksrc=00001
Old 09-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
heh.. $250k for a house? waste of money.. here's what you can buy in Tulsa, OK for $250k.
http://remax.realtor.com/FindHome/Ho...5&lnksrc=00001
But then you have to live in Tulsa, OK (I wouldn't live in Dallas either, though).
Old 09-28-2003, 11:51 AM
STFU n00b!

so what's wrong with Tulsa? gimme a reason why it's bad.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

so what's wrong with Tulsa? gimme a reason why it's bad.
dont you live there?

Old 09-28-2003, 04:30 PM
ivelweyz

Oh that's funny.. just cover it up with electrical tape?

Next time you're out washing your car, take a look at all the original windows that are in it- if there are any. you'll notice a cool feature of every window on the car having your VIN sandblasted into it.
it's also on the front fenders of many nissans, if you just lift the hood you'll see it. often you can see it by looking between the hood and fender with a flashlight.

little electrical tape will cover that right up.

small things only keep out the small timers. just like door locks only hold back the honest people. if they want your car, VIN, Key, Window, steering column.. theyr'e not going to matter.
Mine don't and yes they are original. Which place exactly is the VIN etched into the windows???

Old 09-28-2003, 07:59 PM

i thought there was a special key code you had to give the dealership if you wanted to get a duplicate key and you don;t have any keys. my friend just bought a civic and they gave him a key # that he had to have if he lost all his keys. i know in my 94 maxima they key code is somewhere under the dash. i don't think the dealer can even make a key with just the VIN alone. i might be wrong though.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally Posted by CanadianMaxima
i thought there was a special key code you had to give the dealership if you wanted to get a duplicate key and you don;t have any keys. my friend just bought a civic and they gave him a key # that he had to have if he lost all his keys. i know in my 94 maxima they key code is somewhere under the dash. i don't think the dealer can even make a key with just the VIN alone. i might be wrong though.
The dealer can make a key with just the VIN alone...Case in point: I work for Carmax Mitsubishi, and I had a customer who was trading in his 2000 Eclipse for an 2003 Montero, my customer locked his keys in his Eclipse, and he was going to call his wife to bring him a set of key...I told him to hold that though, I went to the service dept and asked the Mitsu serv mgr if we can just cut a key they will only open the door, and he said yes and to just bring him the VIN, so I did...long story short, we got the key made, it opened up his car and I made a sale...everyone was happy.

I also have another success story with my Aunt and an 84 BMW 733i and her keys were stolen and she was able to get a key made from the VIN and this was just 3 years ago.

Anything is possible
Old 09-28-2003, 09:06 PM
Sports Button FTW

thats sick but what stops them from waiting for correct moment to break your window, copy vin or atleast get glimpse of it and come back another week to steal car?

i have a fuel cutter install on my car so they couldnt steal my car if htey wanted to...