General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

K&N Airfilter - does it help?

Old 02-13-2001, 09:11 AM

Recently I heard from my friend that K&N air filters not only do the good job as airfilter, but also can add up to 10-15 hp to you car's power. It also comes with 10 years warranty. (http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm)
And now is the time for me to change an airfilter on my 2000 SE, so I was wondering if anybody here has experience in this area and can give me advice regarding it.
Also - is using sintetic oil will be better for my car?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2001, 10:12 AM
Johnny

panel = $$$ wasted

I just cleaned and reoiled mine last night. It's a losing battle, when I hold it up to the light there are spots where the mesh has trapped grime. It wont come out. I'm certain if I just paid the $12 for a new Nissan filter my fuel economy would go up, but I figure why should I when I paid a total of $45 for the filter and cleaner. The cleaner is weird too, my sprayer broke--somehow the solution crystalized and caused it to stop working.

HP gain = 0. Filter effectiveness after cleaning = 60% (it even admits it's not as good if you read the box). $ wasted = $50. Steering clear of K&N? PRICELESS.

Old 02-13-2001, 10:30 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Okay, your buddy watches too many commercials and believes everything he hears. A K&N panel filter will give maybe 1-2hp more than a stock filter. A cone K&N filter will give 2-3hp. Right out of hte box, a cotton filter will flow only slightly better than a paper filter. After a month, the cotton is still going strong where as the paper filter is slowly becoming clogged. The problem with the cotton filters is that people are WAY too tempted to clean them out reguarly. If you read K&N directions, the filter actually works better as it gets dirty (to a point). Over cleaning a cotton filter and recharging it's filter oil only makes things worse. The excess oil will clog the filter, just like Johnny is describing above. You don't need to clean out a K&N filter, but maybe once every 20000 miles or so unless you live a very dusty place. I recommend reguraly "shaking" out the filter to get bugs and sand out. If cotton filters were such junk, why do so many performance teams and companies run them?

If you want a good paper filter then try Fram.

Dave
Old 02-13-2001, 07:40 PM

I like my panel...

Not much of a gain, mind you, but I think it runs better from 3-6krpm's, and it added a bit of a growl to the intake, but not anything really noticable unless you drive the thing every day. Given the number of miles I put on my car, It's paid for itself already. Cleaning & re-oiling isn't that bad. I also keep the stock filter to drive around for the day while the thing dries after I clean it.
Old 02-13-2001, 09:27 PM

Dave is right on target

I personally think its really worth getting one. When I put a stock one back in, I noticed that the car had considerably less punch when slamming the gas. I dont think that really results in HP, just better throttle response. Plus its a lot more convenient because the stock filter could get used up within 10-15K miles so after 3-4 of those, the $ is justified and you could still keep using and using the K+N.

Old 02-13-2001, 10:44 PM

THANKS EVERYONE!

Thanks everyone for the response.
Appreciate your time and help.

So I will get the K&N the next time I'll have to change my air filter.
My main concern about this topic was not saving 20 bucks but making sure that this filter will make a positive difference to the car's performance.

Thanks again.

Teser.

P.S. Dave – love your seats. Want the same ;)
Old 02-14-2001, 12:47 AM

I have one, and it tested about 2hp on the Infiniti. It does increase throttle response, and stays good for a long time.

10,000 miles is easy. Look how your paper filter will look at 10K. Even if you replaced it every 20,000 miles its still a value. I have two on my race Camaro also, with a choped air box, works well.