General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NO G35.......but 300ZX TT 5-spd

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Get an ECU and boost controller!!!!

That'll kill those stock turbo's real quick.

What happened to the X5?
Old 07-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dave B
302 is the way to go. It's significantly lighter than the 427 and that's much of why it performs just like the 427 plus it revs to 7000+rpms.

There are rumors floating around that the next Camaro (yes, there will be one) will sport a high revving 302 in place of the 5.7. Sounds good to me.

Dave
Since we are off-topic anyway...Dave, I have also heard rumors about a turbocharged version of the I-6 engine found in the trailblazer to be used in the next camaro. That would be awesome since the LS1 guys always make fun of anyone that uses forced induction just to keep up with them. A turbo I-6 sounds like a supra all over again.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:42 PM

some unconfirmed info!

I heard that the 350Z is going to offer a twin turbo for the 2005 model.
Another thing I have heard was that the real skyline GT-R will be released in the US around 2005-2006. It will be V8 twin turboed, making in the 350-400hp. I also heard that the Supras coming out will offer a monster version like that too, BUT those cars will be in a new price cathegory $80k range.
Those are info I heard from a guy I know which drives a 350z.
So this is not what i'm making up and also this is not official info so please dont bash
Old 07-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by 96sleeper

Since we are off-topic anyway...Dave, I have also heard rumors about a turbocharged version of the I-6 engine found in the trailblazer to be used in the next camaro. That would be awesome since the LS1 guys always make fun of anyone that uses forced induction just to keep up with them. A turbo I-6 sounds like a supra all over again.
I haven't heard any rumors about a turbo 6 in the next Camaro. I'd doubt it would happen because people want V8 torque in the muscle/pony cars. The rumors I've heard and even Motor Trend has noted it, is it that GM is hard at work developing an internal 2-cam pushrod LS1-based V8. I'm unsure as to why GM is trying an internal 2-cam instead of using an overhead valve design, but the word is the later model 6th gen Vettes will have this motor which will be cranking out around 400-425hp and the Z06 will be sporting 500+ thanks to it's higher rev ability. This same block would eventually be used to power the upcoming truck and Camaro. The Camaro could displace 5.0 (302 cube) or 5.3 (327 cube), but it's unlikely the larger Vette-derived V8 will find it's way into Camaro. This is because GM made the current Vette and departed F-Body WAY too close in acceleration. That won't happen again. That's assured.

dmbmaxima2k2-

Congrats on the 300ZXTT. I'd serioulsy consider one for a 3rd "fun" car, if I could ever find a decent one with low miles, not abused, and a reasonable price. There's a pearl white one 120 miles from my house selling for $22K. It's driven by the orginal owner (old guy), never modded, has 30K miles, and it's immaculate. The wife just won't go for the price though

Dave
Old 07-15-2003, 09:44 PM

I haven't heard any rumors about a turbo 6 in the next Camaro. I'd doubt it would happen because people want V8 torque in the muscle/pony cars. The rumors I've heard and even Motor Trend has noted it, is it that GM is hard at work developing an internal 2-cam pushrod LS1-based V8. I'm unsure as to why GM is trying an internal 2-cam instead of using an overhead valve design, but the word is the later model 6th gen Vettes will have this motor which will be cranking out around 400-425hp and the Z06 will be sporting 500+ thanks to it's higher rev ability. This same block would eventually be used to power the upcoming truck and Camaro. The Camaro could displace 5.0 (302 cube) or 5.3 (327 cube), but it's unlikely the larger Vette-derived V8 will find it's way into Camaro. This is because GM made the current Vette and departed F-Body WAY too close in acceleration. That won't happen again. That's assured.

dmbmaxima2k2-

Congrats on the 300ZXTT. I'd serioulsy consider one for a 3rd "fun" car, if I could ever find a decent one with low miles, not abused, and a reasonable price. There's a pearl white one 120 miles from my house selling for $22K. It's driven by the orginal owner (old guy), never modded, has 30K miles, and it's immaculate. The wife just won't go for the price though

Dave
Hey Dave, could you give me (and the rest of the people here) some info on the 383 used in the older Camaros? I heard it was an awesome engine that revved to 7k RPM or something insane like that (for a large V8 anyway)...it goes against the entire ricer theory that Domestic V8s can't rev..and it would be nice to everyone to learn about that motor.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:06 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Man....i'm glad I sparked this huge conversation about Camaro's. This thread is now my wet dream.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:55 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by mAdD MAX

Hey Dave, could you give me (and the rest of the people here) some info on the 383 used in the older Camaros? I heard it was an awesome engine that revved to 7k RPM or something insane like that (for a large V8 anyway)...it goes against the entire ricer theory that Domestic V8s can't rev..and it would be nice to everyone to learn about that motor.
I'd have to dig up the info from one of my old muscle car books about the 383 Camaros. Honestly, I don't even know if the Camaro ever came with a factory 383. All it takes to make a 383 is use a 350 cube inch block mated with a 400 cube inch block crank. This is a common swap on the more recent L98/LT1/LS1 F-Bodies and Vettes.

I always laugh when the import crowd says Domestic pushrod V8s can't rev. Take a look at a bonestock LS1 dyno and you'll it making power straight to 6000-6200rpms and breathing fine till fuel cut at around 6400rpms. A cam swap, ECU upgrade, upgraded valve springs, rocker arm, pushrods, and a higher flow LS6 intake manifold can get you about an extra 60rwhp and an extra 500rpms of rev with peak power occuring at ~6700rpms and a 7000rpm fuel cut. There are also plenty of LT1s out there that are built to rev to 7000rpms. The motors can handle it (especially the LS1), it just takes some work with valve-train and cam. You end up loosing some power from idle to 3000rpms and that's much the reason why these V8s don't come from the factory revving to 7000rpms.

Dave
Old 07-16-2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1
Get an ECU and boost controller!!!!

That'll kill those stock turbo's real quick.

Stock injectors will max out at 17 psi which is where I'm spiking to w/ ping. People will tell you to go no more than 15 psi which is where intake, exhaust and ECU will take you to. No need to get a boost controler until the injectors are upgraded. But then I believe the stock turbos max out at 19 psi. Either way, I've seen people hit 400rwhp off stock turbos.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:17 AM

the chevy 302 from "back in the day" was a high revving race engine, made all its power in the upper rpm range. the 383 is NOT a high revver it is a torque pig, with power all over down low. since it's stroked, its not as much of a revver
Old 07-16-2003, 06:06 PM

Lets hope by race car you don't mean large turbos such as TD06-20gs or something. Have fun with that.. LOL
Old 07-17-2003, 12:00 AM

Steve, PLEASE tighten your belts. For such a nice car, it was making WAY too much noise when the engine was on.

Nice burnout at the meet tho
Old 07-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

The rumors I've heard and even Motor Trend has noted it, is it that GM is hard at work developing an internal 2-cam pushrod LS1-based V8. I'm unsure as to why GM is trying an internal 2-cam instead of using an overhead valve design, but the word is the later model 6th gen Vettes will have this motor which will be cranking out around 400-425hp and the Z06 will be sporting 500+ thanks to it's higher rev ability.

Dave
An article I read online (which is now a 404 ) stated that GM uses two internal cams to use with variable valve timing on the new V8 design. The article said that VVT timing is effected by the warming of the engine and expansion of the timing chain on DOHC engines, making VVT less effective. Using two internal cams with pushrods helps to reduce this effect and make for better variable valve timing .

They also stated that the new V8 design is to use direct fuel injection and a host of other innovations (cant remember them all right now). On top of that the article claims the engine will have the width of a V6 and the length of an I4. Should be interesting to see what kind of power this thing is gonna make, go GM .\

Oh BTW nice 300ZXTT Steve! Seeing that car in person makes me think about getting one myself . Also Im loving the intake you put into my car last Sunday.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by 98SEBlackMax

An article I read online (which is now a 404 ) stated that GM uses two internal cams to use with variable valve timing on the new V8 design. The article said that VVT timing is effected by the warming of the engine and expansion of the timing chain on DOHC engines, making VVT less effective. Using two internal cams with pushrods helps to reduce this effect and make for better variable valve timing .

They also stated that the new V8 design is to use direct fuel injection and a host of other innovations (cant remember them all right now). On top of that the article claims the engine will have the width of a V6 and the length of an I4. Should be interesting to see what kind of power this thing is gonna make, go GM .\

Yep. While the hardcore import and Ford/MOPAR crowd believes the pushrod is a long dead dinosaur, GM continues to prove them wrong and continues to design pushrods that surpass emissions and MPG requirements plus develop serious HP. It's sad that the 405hp 5.7 liter Z06 is still significantly quicker than Ford's 5.4 SC Cobra, especially after 110mph. Most people fail to realize that the F-Body/Vette can get 30+mpg on the highway and 20-21 around town assuming you keep your foot out of it. Low rpm torque is a wonderful thing. I will go back to GM cars when GM invests as much money in quality perceived quality (small gaps, nice looking interiors, lack of rattles) as they do in their powertrains.

Dave
Old 07-17-2003, 01:57 PM

Good choice man.

IMO, the 300ZX looks a lot better than the new 350Z and the G35. It has more fo a beastly look, the 350Z looks like a little kitten next to it.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by guapsnaman
Good choice man.

IMO, the 300ZX looks a lot better than the new 350Z and the G35. It has more of a beastly look, the 350Z looks like a little kitten next to it.
couldnt agree with you more, IMO the 350z looks a bit on the girly side, the g35 coupe is definitely a mans car though
Old 07-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by guapsnaman
Good choice man.

IMO, the 300ZX looks a lot better than the new 350Z and the G35. It has more fo a beastly look, the 350Z looks like a little kitten next to it.
ya after driving both for a while, we had a 350Z for a week and half for some test fitment and prototyping, and now going to this 300ZX it has just as many options, i like the seats WAY better and it's already faster. The new 350Z feels very light in hard corners too, the weight dist. makes the rear want to come out more. i honestly feel safer in this 300ZX then the 350Z. Not to mention one of my friends died in one about 6 weeks ago on 91 South in CT
Old 07-18-2003, 02:10 PM

steve, just take the damn pics already
Old 07-18-2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

ya after driving both for a while, we had a 350Z for a week and half for some test fitment and prototyping, and now going to this 300ZX it has just as many options, i like the seats WAY better and it's already faster. The new 350Z feels very light in hard corners too, the weight dist. makes the rear want to come out more. i honestly feel safer in this 300ZX then the 350Z. Not to mention one of my friends died in one about 6 weeks ago on 91 South in CT
Until they make the 350Z in a targa top/t-tops and a TT, I won't consider buying one in the future. The other problem you'll find steve is that being in the 300 and saying what's up to person in a 350, you get no respect and most owners are oblivious to anything around them. I once passed a person in a 350 and ended up at the same light as him. I honked to tell him he had a clean car and he didn't even bother to look. (after about 4-5 times this happening to me, I say f**k 350 owners, they can come and get some and see my tail-lights all day long)
Old 07-19-2003, 08:12 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by PiotrC70

Until they make the 350Z in a targa top/t-tops and a TT, I won't consider buying one in the future. The other problem you'll find steve is that being in the 300 and saying what's up to person in a 350, you get no respect and most owners are oblivious to anything around them. I once passed a person in a 350 and ended up at the same light as him. I honked to tell him he had a clean car and he didn't even bother to look. (after about 4-5 times this happening to me, I say f**k 350 owners, they can come and get some and see my tail-lights all day long)
Ya the roadster one will be nice but i'd prefer the t-top one, there already is very little room in that car and the top must take up most of it. When i was driving the 350Z for a while everyone wanted to talk about it and i bet some of the guys are just sick of it. I liked talking to people about the car but i'm sure some guys don't want to, still no reason to be a pric though. They can do whatever they want because i'm on a quest to get all 400 RWHP i can off those stock turbos. I just sent Coz a shopping list about two pages long
Old 07-19-2003, 10:47 AM

wheres the thread that you were asking what car to get?

if i remember correctly, i swear i was the only one saying to go with the 300zx
Old 07-19-2003, 02:43 PM

Hey Steve, I still didnt get my intake!!! You guys were making fun of me when I posted this after 4 days. Well, guess what...STILL NO INTAKE!!!!