General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

R32 headlights or Cefiro for the 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 08:34 PM

R32 headlights or Cefiro for the 4th gen

So I'm debating between upgrading the headlights for my 97 Maxima. I never liked the 9004 dispersion and now there are affordable options. R32 lights were made for the JDM Skyline from 90-93 (or somewhere in the ballpark), they fit with minimal modification and look alright. I have no idea how they perform in terms of illuminecence, but I've seen the headlamps sold for less than $150 a set. The other option is the JDM Cefiro one-piece headlights used on JDM Cefiro from 95-99 (I30's). They require a bit more modification to fit the corner side in, and they look great on the I30 and Maxima. They illuminate well and cost around $220 shipped.

Both headlamps use H4 bulbs...much better than the 9004 stock bulbs. My question is, which would be the better route to go with. I'm swaying towards the Cefiro headlamps, but I don't want to make the wrong choice. Anyone have any opinions?
Old 05-17-2003, 09:00 PM

in terms of functionality, i dont know, but i thin kthe cefiro headlight housings look way better. R34 headlights would be even nicer =]
Old 05-17-2003, 09:49 PM

Check this post out regarding the Cefiro lights, I am getting this as soon as money saved up.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=214401

- ßaller
Old 05-17-2003, 10:34 PM

sell me your 97 headlights after ...
Old 05-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

well I like.....just look a the sig.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What about a projector retrofit with HIDs? it would be easier and less expensive than having to custom mount the lights and having to mold them into the front. Just an idea.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:12 AM
aka UNCDooD

Originally posted by geo1317
What about a projector retrofit with HIDs? it would be easier and less expensive than having to custom mount the lights and having to mold them into the front. Just an idea.

there is no molding involved with the R32 headlights and the one-piece Cefiro headlights.

I'll probably end up getting the Cefiro ones once I get the money.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do Cefiro. you get bragging rights, boss looks, and you stay within the generation era. R32 is before the 4th gen's time. you'd be mixing. plus Skyline is "common" compared to Cefiro in the USDM.

the 97 Maxima uses same chassis as the A32 Cefiro that your headlamps would be coming from. do it now. do it today. in fact, go all the way and get the whole Cefiro while you're at it. fit the Cefiro around the headlamps, actually. fit an entire Cefiro around Maxima headlamps. that would be boss.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:40 PM

ive been around the org for a while and i cant believe i missed the r32 headlight talk. The search function is out what type of modification is needed to install the lights??? hmm might be a small project for the summer.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Guy with the Orange Max

Originally posted by slammed95

If they're not stock, they require modification. Cefiro's have different fenders, grill, and hood. Skyline is even more different.
Extra body work will be required either way to pull it off clean.
I was just thinking that exact same thing. The Cefiro lights and the Skyline lights aren't shaped anything like the A32 headlights/corner lights. Therefore major body modifications must be done.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:43 PM

go on skylinesdownunder forums or skylinesaustralia forums and poke around there for cefiro front-clips. those people are mostly aussies or new zealanders. then try doing a front-end conversion. few people here in the united states, if any, will have that setup for their 4th gen. i found a treasure trove of silvia parts for my S14 that way. for example, i find getting good deals on S14 parts in the united states a total nightmare. very hard to find. or, once it is posted, it is bought and unavailable. i got skyline tail lights from new zealand like instantly. it is even harder to get parts directly from japan because of the over-the-roof costs in japan and the language barrier. often, if i email someone from japan who posts something on the org or zilvia.net, for example, they either seldom reply, reply weeks later, or they do not return any messages that initially they responded to: "thank you for intrest in rear part of skyline tail. we get part when make order to customer. hope to hear you soon again." and then when i reply to that, there is never a reply. i have found time and time again that it is easier to find people in australia or new zealand to be the go-betweens. or, rather, they have the parts right there already as skylines and cefiros are common and cheap there.

and just about anything not stock will require modification. so dive in, buddy. you want to be different, then you must walk the walk and open the wallet a little. and suffer the pains of delays and hang-ups. you have left the stock safety net forever.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:47 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

what do the R32 headlights look like? i am not sure if this is a topic we had before.. about these headlights being sold on Ebay..

has anyone actually tried mountin R32 headlights onto our cars and been successful?

i'd like to know more about that

otherwise, i'm going the custom projector route
Old 05-18-2003, 10:29 PM
Custom User Title...

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
what do the R32 headlights look like? i am not sure if this is a topic we had before.. about these headlights being sold on Ebay..

has anyone actually tried mountin R32 headlights onto our cars and been successful?

there is a guy who just posted last week about this. i think all he had to do was cut something off the back but they fit in. they are smaller than our headlights so he used some sort of rubber or something underneath but it came out clean and he said wasn't too bad at all.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:17 AM

Yeah, I read his post too. The R32 headlights (eBay) fit his 96 Maxima with no problems. He had to do some shaving of the grill and adding of some rubber strips to the top of the headlamps, but they bolt right on and retain the stock corner lamp.

The one-piece Cefiro headlights require a little more shaving and grinding. From my understanding, the grill needs to be shaved a bit as does the fender, since the corner part of the lamp is a little deeper.

I have decided to go with the Cefiro headlights. I think they just look nicer and are brand new. Only thing is getting a hold of some H4 harnesses...I'm going to see how much Tustin Nissan charges.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

what kinda projectors are you gonna use?

eventually im gonna do e36's with projectors/angel eyes and diegos hid kit, but im still a noob in the projector dept
Old 05-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would like to see R33 headlights on the maxima.. anyone got a pic?
Old 05-20-2003, 12:59 AM

i saw a guy on here a while back use E36 with Audi projectors on the sides. looked dope. better than dual E36's.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:35 AM

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
Yeah, I read his post too. The R32 headlights (eBay) fit his 96 Maxima with no problems. He had to do some shaving of the grill and adding of some rubber strips to the top of the headlamps, but they bolt right on and retain the stock corner lamp.

The one-piece Cefiro headlights require a little more shaving and grinding. From my understanding, the grill needs to be shaved a bit as does the fender, since the corner part of the lamp is a little deeper.

I have decided to go with the Cefiro headlights. I think they just look nicer and are brand new. Only thing is getting a hold of some H4 harnesses...I'm going to see how much Tustin Nissan charges.
Cefiro Headlights
No part of grille nor fenders needed to be shave if you are putting on the Cefiro One piece headlights.
But you DO need to make a custom bracket to fit the gtock grille or aftermarket grilles. There are grinding and cutting of the metals for the headlights to fit. But note: Cefiro Headlights are LHD and illuminates correctly with its H-4 beam pattern.

Skyline R32 Headlights
This is RHD dirve only. There aren't any LHD R32 Headlights that I have known of.

I will sell pairs of H-4 harness for $18 shipped if you are interested. I will also have Jeff (Calsonic) try out the Cefiro headlamp only (2-piece headlight) with Maxima Corner lights to see if it's less work and will fit the 4th Gen Maxima better

SY~
Old 05-20-2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by SYCEFIRO

I will also have Jeff (Calsonic) try out the Cefiro headlamp only (2-piece headlight) with Maxima Corner lights to see if it's less work and will fit the 4th Gen Maxima better

SY~
I want to see how that turns out.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:35 AM

SYCEFIRO

can you please explain a little bit more about

But note: Cefiro Headlights are LHD and illuminates correctly with its H-4 beam pattern.

Skyline R32 Headlights
This is RHD dirve only. There aren't any LHD R32 Headlights that I have known of.

Do you mean that the R32 headlights won't illuminates better than Cefiro headlight?
Old 05-20-2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by AuToMaX_95
SYCEFIRO

can you please explain a little bit more about

But note: Cefiro Headlights are LHD and illuminates correctly with its H-4 beam pattern.

Skyline R32 Headlights

Do you mean that the R32 headlights won't illuminates better than Cefiro headlight?
On US cars the right (curb side) headlight is aimed a little higher and to the right to illuminate signs without bothering other drivers. The driverside headlight has to be pointed low so oncoming traffic is not blinded. Of course many contries drive on the left side of the road so the headlights would be backwards for us. I belive SYCEFIRO is saying the cefiero headlights are correct for US cars but the R32 Headlights are not. Do I have this right?

How much woud it cost for a set of Cefiro headlights and any other parts to install them (H4 harness?)? I assume I am on my own for the bracket for the grill.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

Cefiro headlights on my Max

this shot taken after some modification to make the headlight fit more flush. still doesnt fit perfect tho. cant tell too much from this angle...anyways, there is some work to make them go in tho.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:19 AM

1 more shot

these 2 pics show the Cefiro headlights best. sometimes certain angles makes me go ugh due to its fitment.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:26 AM

Stop showing off...
Old 05-21-2003, 12:28 AM

hahaha

get off my spare comp!!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:31 AM

Turbo95,

your car is f*cking awesome looking. holy SH*T. that is just great. do you have a cardomain page or something with more pics of that? man. that would make a great painting. you know what you are doing. and it's turbo. how did that project go? i bet that **** will spank some cars.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
Cefiro headlights on my Max

this shot taken after some modification to make the headlight fit more flush. still doesnt fit perfect tho. cant tell too much from this angle...anyways, there is some work to make them go in tho.

1 more shot

these 2 pics show the Cefiro headlights best. sometimes certain angles makes me go ugh due to its fitment.
You car rocks

Do you have any pics from the bad angles? I checked out your car domain page but couldn't find any more pics of the headlights. I think I saw a side shot of somebodys Max W/Cefiro Headlights and there was a noticable gap because the curve is different than the stock corners but it didn't look that bad, is tat the worst angle? I also notice it looks like the cefiro headlights get narrower towards the grill while the stock lights don't but I don't think that looks to bad either.

Do you have HIDs or just the regular H4 bulbs? Would you say the lighting is a significant improvement over stock. Do you think somebody who is fairly good mechanically could do this project in a day with normal tools? (I have done my own Y-pipe, b-pipe, STS, and CAI but I let a shop do my suspention)
Old 05-21-2003, 01:17 PM

uhmm...all the pics of the lights i have are on my cardomain site. SYCefiro took some pics awhile back and he posted some i think. youll hvae to search for those. anyways, i was using H4 bulbs and they were noticebly better then 9004. i have HID's now and they are MUCH better then H4. hehe