General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help me solve a suspension related mystery plz.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 04:57 PM

Help me solve a suspension related mystery plz Part 2.

Hey,

Ever since I put Gr2 struts in I can FEEL not hear slight knocking underneath my feet over imperfections in the roads. Now, I tightened every bolt/nut according to the torque specs in the manual many times. I changed my suspension out like 5 times so the bolts are all tight accordingly. I even went underneath my car and went over all the nuts in the front that are related to suspension. Also, I've replaced the strut bearings when I put the GR2 struts in the first time. I don't think that they're causing the knocking. I even put a washer between the strut mount and the piston nut in the front because the pistons in the GR2s stick out more than the stock pistons. I thought that the nut wasn't tight enought on the piston. But that didn't do solve anything. Could I've distroyed the strut bearing by overtightning the piston nut? Maybe that's just a "feature" of the GR2s? I hope not. Plus, my car doesn't absorb any bumps at all, it just glides over them especially in the rear. I only replaced the struts so I still have the stock springs in there.

Help me out somebody because it's driving me crazy.

Thanks all.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:17 PM

Bump
Old 04-08-2003, 05:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

GR2's are pretty stiff struts as I'm sure you now know. You will feel and hear bumps impact a bit harder then your stock setup.

Are you sure the upper mounts are in good shape?

Did you line up the word OUT on the upper spring perch with the bottom mounting flange on the strut?

Have you checked the sway bar end link bushings and the control arm's & ball joints for any play?

Quite a few 5th gens report feeling some kind of front end wobble or looseness over bumps at lower speeds. There was a transverse link recall that should have fixed that. Not sure if your 2K falls into that catagory or not. Have you thought about taking it back to Nissan just to have them inspect it for you?

Also make sure your brake caliper isn't loose.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:16 AM

Also check to see if the springs are orientated correctly on the spring purches.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:04 PM

Tom,

I have a 99 We spoke before about my harsh ride w/the maxspeed springs. I ended up getting a new pair of GR2s because mine died w/the maxspeeds for some reason. I installed everything correctly because I did it like 5 times What would the signs be of a bad upper mount?

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:25 PM

If the upper mount was starting to get weak, the piston would move slightly. That could cause noises. Being you've had it apart so many times, one would think you would have caught that. The only thing I can suggest is take the damn thing apart completely. Pull the mount apart and look at the rubber bushings too. Check the bearing and make sure it's holding the upper spring perch to the mount with no play at all. Just do a fit test there. Clean everything so it looks like new. Don't put grease on the bearing!!! Thats a no no.... It's lubricated internally and it's not supposed to slip around on the mating surfaces.

Thats about all the help I can offer you here. I hope you figure it out, keep us posted.

Tom
Old 04-08-2003, 12:47 PM

Kewl,

Thanks
Old 04-13-2003, 12:47 AM

Damn,

I can't figure this out! It feels like it's getting worse. I can feel the looseness/knocking underneath the gas pedal w/my heel on the floor. The front swaybar only has 2 brackets that hold it in place right? Also, are the endlinks of the sway bar suppose to pivit? Can all the ppl w/stiffer struts than stock report in on how the front end feels. Is the steering wheels always moving on you? I'm on stock 16" rims w/ a 225/50 tire.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by 2KxSEx
Damn,

I can't figure this out! It feels like it's getting worse. I can feel the looseness/knocking underneath the gas pedal w/my heel on the floor.
Something aint' right....

The front swaybar only has 2 brackets that hold it in place right? Also, are the endlinks of the sway bar suppose to pivit?
Yes, they move around.

Can all the ppl w/stiffer struts than stock report in on how the front end feels. Is the steering wheels always moving on you? I'm on stock 16" rims w/ a 225/50 tire.

Thanks.
My front end is rock solid. No clunks, no rattles, tight steering. Something is not right on your car. I'm thinking your lower control arm might be at fault, especially if your feeling it under your feet. Nissan calls it the tranvers link. Have it inspected by them.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:32 PM

My steering wheel is almost always moving, I think its because of my wheels reacting to imperfections in the road though.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:17 PM

ch13f,

The steering wheel should be stationary as far as I can remember. I just went over my fsb nuts and it's about 50% less movement in the steering wheel now! Also, the front absorbs bumps better now, it's more solid. However, there's still some movement left. I'll work on it later this week.

P.S. This knocking started happening as soon as my stock struts completely blew while I was driving around in New Brunswick on maxspeeds.

Peace.