General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Some car updates w/pic

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 02:41 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Some car updates w/pic

The north east weather is excellent this weekend so we took our toys out to play. Added a few goodies to them also. Well Max didn't get anything special, just a wash and detail.

Pics of our toys

The Audi is a 2001 S-4 Twin Turbo V6. Stock it had around 240 hp 250 ft/tq I think. My buddy just swapped the ECU today which braught the turbo up to 14.5 PSI. The ECU swap makes the thing pull 340 HP with 360 ft/tq with Quattro all wheel drive. Man talk about serious power glued to the road! The before and after the ECU change was like driving in two completely different cars. Just amazing how much power was unlocked with that ECU.

The 2001 BMW 330i got a set of 225/45/ZR17 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions today. The stock tire was 205/45 Continental Contacts which were just garbage. The S-03's which are highly rated on Tire Rack was just what that car needed. These tires are hot guys, they stick like glue, look incredable, and for a Z rated tire they are extreamly smooth & quiet. Very impressive to say the least. They'll probably replace my Dunlop SP8000's on the Maxima this summer. If anybody is out looking for new tires, don't pass up the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Posiotion, these are nothing short of perfection in a Z rated tire.

Hope eveybody had a nice weekend.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Master Will

the bra on your car almost made me think you had a carbon fiber hood...
Old 03-22-2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by metallic97gxe
the bra on your car almost made me think you had a carbon fiber hood...
Ha i thought the same thing! I even checked his homepage to see if he had one. It does though with the bra and the reflection.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You have my future garage!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Jedi Knight

Nice pic TOm!
Old 03-22-2003, 06:43 PM

Man that is some awsome power from that S4, but did you dyno the car twice or something?
Old 03-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Sin

I'm pretty well versed on the S4. What chip are you running? Are there any other power mods on it?
Old 03-22-2003, 07:31 PM

That particular car wasn't dynoed, but according to the Audi enthusiests and the mfg. of that ECU, those are the expected numbers. Let me just tell you that taking a ride before and after the ECU change blew me away. I never would imagain that much power could be unleashed with just that mod. Like I said earlier, it was like we were in two completely different cars when you opened it up. They were looking at changing the exhaust too, but why spend 600 bucks for only about 20HP. It's worthless at that point. The car is dead quiet and will rape just about anything else in it's class on the road. You'd never know it looking at it though, everything else is stock.

Sin, when I find out who makes that ECU I'll let you know.

I was looking at possibly selling my SE-L and picking up a new G35 4 door sedan this spring. Then I saw a Red G35 Coupe with a track package in my gym parking lot and fell in love. What an absolutely beautiful car that is. It's also upwards near $36,000 which is definately not in my budget.

After seeing what $800 bucks does to a nicely equiped S-4, I might start looking around for a low mileage used one myself. The fit and finish, both inside and out is excellent, and the car out performs the G35 with one simple mod.

Time to do some thinking I guess.

I'm headed out into New York City tonight to party a bit. Kind of makes me nervous with the war gonig on. You never know what can happen or where it will happen.

Be safe everybody!
Old 03-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

the little eyebrow things on the mask give it away..

always loved the s-4s but hate the dash. red on red
Old 03-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Sin

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
That particular car wasn't dynoed, but according to the Audi enthusiests and the mfg. of that ECU, those are the expected numbers. Let me just tell you that taking a ride before and after the ECU change blew me away. I never would imagain that much power could be unleashed with just that mod. Like I said earlier, it was like we were in two completely different cars when you opened it up. They were looking at changing the exhaust too, but why spend 600 bucks for only about 20HP. It's worthless at that point. The car is dead quiet and will rape just about anything else in it's class on the road. You'd never know it looking at it though, everything else is stock.

I was looking at possibly selling my SE-L and picking up a new G35 4 door sedan this spring. Then I saw a Red G35 Coupe with a track package in my gym parking lot and fell in love. What an absolutely beautiful car that is. It's also upwards near $36,000 which is definately not in my budget.

After seeing what $800 bucks does to a nicely equiped S-4, I might start looking around for a low mileage used one myself. The fit and finish, both inside and out is excellent, and the car out performs the G35 with one simple mod.

I'm headed out into New York City tonight to party a bit. Kind of makes me nervous with the war gonig on. You never know what can happen or where it will happen.

Be safe everybody!
I'd love to know which chip this is. All the chips I am aware of turn the 250 to about 300. Also, they all recommend atleast cat-backs because the remapping causes the turbos to create more heat, which can in turn damage the turbochargers themselves.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Sin

I'd love to know which chip this is. All the chips I am aware of turn the 250 to about 300. Also, they all recommend atleast cat-backs because the remapping causes the turbos to create more heat, which can in turn damage the turbochargers themselves.
Doesn't Autothority make a chip for the S4 which produces 300+ hp and 300+ tq? I'm not sure if it was quite 350jp but I do belive it was in the 320s. -Cyrus
Old 03-25-2003, 09:49 AM

good point about the S4 (which uses the 2.7 liter twin turbo to produce 250 HP stock) but just wondering how much would it cost to get one in good condition (i'm used to new cars now and get picky about this)?

Be safe everybody!
Old 03-25-2003, 03:43 PM
i SeE what you did therE

is that house lime green?
Old 03-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Shiver me timbers.

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

There he goes with the lime green again. Lookin good Tom.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007
Tom, go for the G35! I have my eyes on one myself but would have to get an auto (wifey). I dont think so!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:46 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Nice Pics.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:27 AM

at least there's an automanual for the G35 tho still not the same as a manual

Originally posted by NyMaxedOut

Tom, go for the G35! I have my eyes on one myself but would have to get an auto (wifey). I dont think so!
Old 03-28-2003, 08:04 AM

UPDATE: The mfg of the ECU for the S4 was ABT.

It brings the boost up to around 16-18lbs.

After driving it around for the past 2 weeks, he's decided it's just to much for a street car. He's not gonna race it so he's gonna swap it for another chipped ECU thats a bit more mellow, like around 12-14lbs of boost. The car is still under warranty so you gotta take that into consideration. If anything goes wrong, it's easy to blame it on the ABT ECU with that kind of boost.

It's supposed to rain all weekend, I hope to catch a ride and really see how well Quattro perfroms.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:48 AM

You have very good taste in automotive machinary!
Old 03-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Some car updates w/pic

The 2001 BMW 330i got a set of 225/45/ZR17 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions today. The stock tire was 205/45 Continental Contacts which were just garbage. The S-03's which are highly rated on Tire Rack was just what that car needed. These tires are hot guys, they stick like glue, look incredable, and for a Z rated tire they are extreamly smooth & quiet. Very impressive to say the least. They'll probably replace my Dunlop SP8000's on the Maxima this summer. If anybody is out looking for new tires, don't pass up the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Posiotion, these are nothing short of perfection in a Z rated tire.
Makes me think whether I should replace my Contis with S-03s this spring. Did you notice any tramlining?
Old 03-28-2003, 10:44 AM

Andy, the Conti's are a joke. I still can't believe BMW put such a garbage tire on that car. Check Tire Racks reviews on the contis, it confirms it. The S-03's completely unlock the cars driving potential. It's just stuck to the ground, yet it's still just as smooth and quiet as it was with the Conti's on.

The side to side wiggle as I like to call it completely dissappears. The steering response is very neutral with the S-03's. The contis used to oversteer like mad do to their very soft sidewall. And don't run low on air with the contis, one good pot hole and your looking at a new rim and tire. Trust me, I know first hand thanks to NYC streets. Popped 2 in one hole one night. I should have tossed the contis out when that happened.

Not sure what you mean by tramlining, yes the car does feel like it's on rails now, the oversteer is completely gone!! It's actually much more relaxing to drive now, especially on the high speed twisties.

The S-03's unlocked the 330's real personality, a solid, German built, luxury sport sedan.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:22 AM

It's when your tires follow the grooves and imperfections on the road making your car steer by itself. It usually happens with wide tires.
Now I am seriously considering S-03s. When you see Contis on a $40K performance car, you know BMW is trying to cut costs.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:29 AM

Wow, nice line-up of cars, im a huuuge fan of A4s, was looking at one but it was just outta my budget. Not a fan of the BMW at all. But i also thought you had a carbon fiber hood, deifnately gives that impression at a glance. Looks good

BTW, ya raced that Bimmer yet?

eric
Old 03-28-2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by AndyXXL
It's when your tires follow the grooves and imperfections on the road making your car steer by itself. It usually happens with wide tires.
You know I didn't even notice a change at all in that area. Compaired to when I put my SP8000's on Max, they follow eveything, the S-03's actually felt no different on the crown of the road then the conti's did.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:33 PM

You know I didn't even notice a change at all in that area. Compaired to when I put my SP8000's on Max, they follow eveything, the S-03's actually felt no different on the crown of the road then the conti's did.
All I can say is that now you're partially responsible for making my wallet $800 lighter
Thanks Tom