General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ypipe owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 04:06 PM

hello
ive been considering getting a ypipe, and after using the S E A R C H feature, i have seen that a problem with the pipe banging under the car exists. does this exist with just the stillen y pipe or the cattman one also ? and is there a fix ? (besides grinding down some bracket)
thanks
Old 01-14-2001, 04:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jw82
hello
ive been considering getting a ypipe, and after using the S E A R C H feature, i have seen that a problem with the pipe banging under the car exists. does this exist with just the stillen y pipe or the cattman one also ? and is there a fix ? (besides grinding down some bracket)
thanks
I think thats only for 3rd generation maximas 89-94 but i dunno.. mines doing fine as i can tell.. i had the cattman jet hot and it broke right on the weld.. which sorta told me something but i got the cattman SS ypipe to replace it and its been fine.. no banging noise.. trouble with stillen is do they have it in stock.. i woulda gotten the stillen one to replace the broken cattman one but when i talked to the guy there he said 2 week backorder.. and well lets just say i needed it asap
Old 01-14-2001, 04:49 PM

hello
thanks
4th and 5th dont bang or anything that I know of. I have a Stillen on my 98 and MadMax2K has a Cattman on his 2000, and they do not rattle or bang around.
Old 01-14-2001, 04:59 PM

ypipe

stillen ypipe (1 piece model) on my 97 max (THANKS MARK!) never bangs .. just a lil loud when i floor it, but the intake quickly out-wails it.
Old 01-14-2001, 05:17 PM

I have the Stillen

on my 97. When I first got it it made a clunk at WOT from a slow roll or dead stop. I looked up under the car trying to see where it was hitting but couldn't tell. After about a week it quit and has never done it again. It's been on about six months now. I'm pretty stoked with it, It's worth the bucks.
Old 01-14-2001, 07:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the cattman stainless steel

I had no problems putting it on, went on in an hour. There are no banging noises or anything, and it does not hang below the crossmember. There are no extra noises other than it made my aftermarket muffler louder.
Old 01-14-2001, 08:14 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I have the Stillen Y-pipe

It doesn't bang, but the hissing sound is pretty loud at WOT. It's cheap and it works. I gain around 6hp and 7ftlb torque with mine.

[Edited by 1MAX2NV on 01-15-2001 at 01:30 AM]
Old 01-14-2001, 11:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the first Warpspeed Y-pipe. It is an experimental version, but the power gains seem to be about the same as the others. We are going to dyno it this coming Friday, so I will post another update. There are no clearance problems. The welds look good, and it is the best fitting y-pipe I have ever installed.
Old 01-15-2001, 06:10 AM

I got a question too...

Do any of you have to get your cars inspected once a year? I'm in TX, and we have to go through that. Did you have any probs in getting your Max to pass inspection with the y-pipe installed, since it's illegal? And does anyone know what's so illegal about it? Is it just the noise factor?
Old 01-15-2001, 06:39 AM

Hey Mike-thought you sold your Max? From the retailers ads I've seen, the start up emission levels are higher with a perf Y pipe. They allege that once the vehicle is at operating temp, the Y pipe emits "normal" emissions. I've seen lots of posts of people who have passed with a Y pipe. I'm lucky that IA doesn't have any testing. If it can propel itself forward-it's roadworthy! By the way, why is it in TX all the 4WD truck ride lower than my MAx? These dual exhaust HOGS must be violating the emissions lasw with all their headers and crap...
Old 01-15-2001, 09:02 AM

Y-pipe

From what I remeber there was a problem with the 3rd gen pipes rubbing on the frame but only when the car was put into reverse. I have the Cattman Y-pipe and it's great, I would go with that one, he offers a stainless steel pipe for about $425ish, that's the way to go cause you shouldn't have to replace it. It makes the car much louder as a side effect so make sure that your ready for the sound. I love the way mine sounds but some people don't like it. My advice is to listen to another Maxima with the pipe so you know what to expect. Good luck and enjoy the power!
Old 01-15-2001, 11:00 AM
STFU n00b!

My 3rd gen pipe rubs my sway bar every time I give it more than 1/2 gas in 1st and on my 1-2 shift, it'll bang for just a second, then it's gone.

I've got a prototype Warpspeed pipe, and on Friday I'm going to install a different one with shorter "down" sections, so it won't ride as low as the one I have now. that should fix the rubbing problem.

the bracket that people were talking about having to grind/cut off are also on 3rd gens, and the problem is simply because they're idiots and won't unbolt two bolts for fear that the tranny will fall on their head. if you have half a brain, you should be able to realize the tranny has about 15 bolts holding it together and it won't be a problem to undo 2, remove a bracket, then put them back in.

As for the emissions crap, this exhaust takes less than an hour to switch over.. when it's time for your once-a-year inspection, jack the car up, install the stock exhaust, go get it inspected (and pass easily), then go home and put your aftermarket parts back on.
Sure it's illegal, but then again, so is speeding. We ALL do that every day.

Old 01-15-2001, 11:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 98MAX
hello
thanks
4th and 5th dont bang or anything that I know of. I have a Stillen on my 98 and MadMax2K has a Cattman on his 2000, and they do not rattle or bang around.
well, i have stillen's new ceramic coated Y-pipe.
since they come coated, it won't rust as easily as the older design with no coating..actually, it should never rust with the coating!!
but mine does bang underneath the car only at WOT in the 1st gear. i pushed my car hard these days thinking that that might fix the problem, but it hasn't....
as far as the power gains...YEAH!!!! I LOVE THAT EXTRA HPS I GAINED FROM MY Y-PIPE!!!
Old 01-15-2001, 03:35 PM

I'm considering getting one and would like to hear it

first, if anyone in south florida has one on - could we maybe meet somewhere so I can hear it.