General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.
View Poll Results: Do you think grounding kit's add HP?
Yes
20.89%
No
52.53%
Not sure
26.58%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Do you realy think these "grounding kits" add Horse Power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you realy think these "grounding kits" add Horse Power?

I see all these posts about grounding kits and how people feel the power increase. Often times people even say the car is even smoother, and in a few cases I have read the car idles at a lower RPM. I don't know if I buy it, please vote what you think.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:17 PM

no i don't think they add HP, they might free up a little power that is being drained from other various accessories on your car but thats about it. This is my opinion on the matter.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaximaRider
no i don't think they add HP, they might free up a little power that is being drained from other various accessories on your car but thats about it. This is my opinion on the matter.
what does your opinion matter, you are french!!?

and i think these promote better current throughout the car.. no HP gains, but much better current.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:29 PM

I would love to know, but dynoing something like this is difficult. You would have to take like 10runs before and after.... 3 wont do it because like me and other cases, all three runs are different. Like mine ranged from 174-183whp. That can make it seem like the product is good when it might not be.

That means someone would have to pay 2hrs of dyno time for a $65-90 product.

Dixit
Old 01-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

I would say no. I didn't feel any power differences when I installed the ooglie ground wires.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:55 PM

It only makes a real difference on cars whose grounding systems are corroded or rusted, on a new car the grounds are much cleaner so there shouldn't be much, if any difference. I know people report gains on new cars but it really seems to be psychological to me, the grounding systems on new cars aren't nearly bad enough to cause this night and day difference.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:57 PM

Yea but what about a new car like 2k1-2k3s, cant really have rust or corrosion that quick.

Dixit
Old 01-02-2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Iilac
I would say no. I didn't feel any power differences when I installed the ooglie ground wires.
it takes more HP gains then 1-3 to be able to 'FEEL' the difference.

i think that there's probably always room for better electrical current and the better current the more accurate the dozens of important sensors are...since they are based on voltages. i'm sure they come from the factory pretty accurate as is. on the older cars it would probably help with battling the aging wires and corrosions. might prolong sensor and electronic life as well.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Iilac
HAHA, you also said the same thing when you got the ypipe on and also greddy catback, UDP...etc...
Old 01-02-2003, 12:44 AM

here's my grounding kit.

works for me. smoother at high rpms and lower idle rpms.

http://www.my350z.com/gallery/album25
Old 01-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Originally posted by Nismo

HAHA, you also said the same thing when you got the ypipe on and also greddy catback, UDP...etc...
True, my butt dyno is badly miscalibrated.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by VQracer
here's my grounding kit.

http://www.my350z.com/gallery/album25
Nice pics. Can you tell me what gauge the wire was and could you make a pic on paintbrush or something showing where the wires went. I mean I can see from the pics, but dont fully understand where each wire was meeting and grounding to. I see one coming off the ground battery, then cant see where it went from there. That would be awesome, I wouldnt mind trying this.

Dixit
Old 01-02-2003, 05:34 AM
SMX

Felt nothing...Gauges did get brighter, but that about it
Old 01-02-2003, 06:17 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by VQracer
here's my grounding kit.

The one thing that doesn't make sense is the report of lower idle speeds. It should idle at the manufacturer spec. it's designed to run correctly that way. Your ECU is supposed to control this speed. How can better grounds cause a lower idle? If the grounds or current draw is better, wouldn't that make the ECU's job of doing electrical things easier? Hance better ldle control, not a lower speed? Also if sparks were hotter due to better current flow, and burned gas better, your speed should shoot up, not down. Everthing I've read about these systems is contradicting if you look at it. None of it follows a pattern, every single case proves different results.

Bottom line, I don't think this system is worth it's weight in copper.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:16 AM

They do...

I've seen a few dynos where the ground kits added power. I remember the Dec. '02 Import tuner tested them on three different cars: A 2002 Suzuki Aerio and Honda S2000,(that gets rid of the "only if the old system is rusted and corroded" theory), a 3rd gen Mazda RX-7, and a '97 Max.
The gains varied from car to car, but they all did have gains. The Aerio had an average gain of 1.48hp and a peak gain of 3.9hp. The S2K was the lowest, with a 1.07hp gain and a peak gain of 2.1hp. The RX-7 had an average gain of 7.09hp and a peak gain of 15.3hp. But who cares, we wanna know how much the Max gained, right?
*Drum roll please*
The Max had an average gain of 6.23hp with a peak gain of 11.6hp at 4500rpm. Btw, all the cars had at least a couple mods. The reason for the huge gains on the RX-7 might be that it was the most heavily modded car. The Max had a Stillen exhaust and downpipe with a JWT intake(POP charger?).

So the system really does work. However, I agree with the person who said earlier that it appears to 'free up' power by increasing efficiency(like UDP pulleys) rather than actually 'adding' power. But hey, I'll take more power any way I can get it.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:34 AM

Re: They do...

Originally posted by Black VQ
I've seen a few dynos where the ground kits added power. I remember the Dec. '02 Import tuner tested them on three different cars: A 2002 Suzuki Aerio and Honda S2000,(that gets rid of the "only if the old system is rusted and corroded" theory), a 3rd gen Mazda RX-7, and a '97 Max.
The gains varied from car to car, but they all did have gains. The Aerio had an average gain of 1.48hp and a peak gain of 3.9hp. The S2K was the lowest, with a 1.07hp gain and a peak gain of 2.1hp. The RX-7 had an average gain of 7.09hp and a peak gain of 15.3hp. But who cares, we wanna know how much the Max gained, right?
*Drum roll please*
The Max had an average gain of 6.23hp with a peak gain of 11.6hp at 4500rpm. Btw, all the cars had at least a couple mods. The reason for the huge gains on the RX-7 might be that it was the most heavily modded car. The Max had a Stillen exhaust and downpipe with a JWT intake(POP charger?).

So the system really does work. However, I agree with the person who said earlier that it appears to 'free up' power by increasing efficiency(like UDP pulleys) rather than actually 'adding' power. But hey, I'll take more power any way I can get it.
Those are some good gains, I just want to know what points of the car need to be grounded to make this work. Like the question I posed earlier to VQracer
Old 01-02-2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by thebigsadler

what does your opinion matter, you are french!!?

and i think these promote better current throughout the car.. no HP gains, but much better current.
Hey...easy, there is nothing wrong with French people...
Old 01-02-2003, 09:06 AM

it doesn't add horsepower. if any was lost through a faulty or lack of ground, then that may be "regained." It's good for the electrics like stereo, climate.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Lime
it doesn't add horsepower. if any was lost through a faulty or lack of ground, then that may be "regained." It's good for the electrics like stereo, climate.
I think I'll just clean my contacts.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The goal of mags like Import Tuner is to SELL PRODUCTS FIRST, and give accurate data second. You could easily fake all of that data to give whatever results you want (to please advertisers) just by heatsoaking the cars.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Like others have said, they'll only make power if your connections are corroded.

The hyperground shootout in Import Tuner (a questionable mag) showed minimal gains in the new cars and okay gains in the 90s cars. This makes complete sense. A 1-3hp/tq difference on the dyno is nothing because it's within the error of the dyno and the heat soak of the motor. I've seen 5fwhp/fwtq swings in power on back to back runs. The Maxima and RX7 made gains because their grounds were cleaned up, that's all.

Soon2BMaxed built his own grounding kit for his 96 SE and he ended up having electrical problems which had to be fixed by Nissan and I know he's not the only that's experienced problems with these kits.

Take a wire brush and clean all you grounds and grounding contacts. That's all you really need to do.

Dave
Old 01-02-2003, 10:40 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Like others have said, they'll only make power if your connections are corroded.

The hyperground shootout in Import Tuner (a questionable mag) showed minimal gains in the new cars and okay gains in the 90s cars. This makes complete sense. A 1-3hp/tq difference on the dyno is nothing because it's within the error of the dyno and the heat soak of the motor. I've seen 5fwhp/fwtq swings in power on back to back runs. The Maxima and RX7 made gains because their grounds were cleaned up, that's all.

Soon2BMaxed built his own grounding kit for his 96 SE and he ended up having electrical problems which had to be fixed by Nissan and I know he's not the only that's experienced problems with these kits.

Take a wire brush and clean all you grounds and grounding contacts. That's all you really need to do.

Dave
Old 01-02-2003, 10:52 AM

I'd bet that it doesn't necessarily cause hp gains in general, more than just restore minor amounts of lost power due to improper grounding.. it's just my guess. I voted yes on that note though
Old 01-02-2003, 11:26 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I made my own and installed them on my last max. I didn't notice any gains in the butt dyno, but the lights stopped dimming when I applied the brakes at a stop, and I didn't have any corrosion on any of my connections. The stereo seemed a tiny bit louder as well, and the car seemed to start a little quicker, but that could have been all in my head. I think they can be better overall for the car, but don't get them if your looking to gain HP. my $.02
Old 01-02-2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by mtrai760
I made my own and installed them on my last max. I didn't notice any gains in the butt dyno, but the lights stopped dimming when I applied the brakes at a stop, and I didn't have any corrosion on any of my connections. The stereo seemed a tiny bit louder as well, and the car seemed to start a little quicker, but that could have been all in my head. I think they can be better overall for the car, but don't get them if your looking to gain HP. my $.02
This is why I plan on upgrading some of my wiring...to prevent stupid stuff causing other stupid stuff...cosmetic really. Although with the new alternator (recall), it seems a bit better.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:39 AM
i SeE what you did therE

they do not make hp the help keep my battery gauge at 14.4v though..
Old 01-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I think these just free up power lost to corroded connections. They shouldn't show meaningful gains on near-new vehicles.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

It does look cool under the hood
Old 04-04-2007, 02:25 PM
kthxbye2u

it lets the car run smoother

less strain on the electrical components

butt dynos can tell the diff from a grounding kit from its smoothness

VE's get smoother
Old 04-04-2007, 04:14 PM

This thread is from 2003
Old 04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I R The Law

Why did you bump a 2003 thread for?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
kthxbye2u

omg lmfao

i didnt look at the date

somehow this thread was up here somehow and i posted thinking someone was asking a question that everyone has gone over...

but i think i lost track of my "search" windows and i guess i thought this window was the up to date one and i posted about it...

didnt mean to

and im trying to forget about this thread but everyone keeps posting on it
Old 04-08-2007, 08:08 PM
retired moderator

nobody really claims they make extra horsepower. Adding better-gauge ground wires (and to more locations) is good for more subtle improvements, such as:
- brighter interior and exterior lighting (I noticed this)
- better throttle response for cars with electronic throttle control
- smoother idle (I felt this clearly)
- more power to ICE accessories (so I hear)
- no worries about puny factory grouds corroding/breaking

for $25 in materials, it's worth it even if only for looks....
Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
nobody really claims they make extra horsepower. Adding better-gauge ground wires (and to more locations) is good for more subtle improvements, such as:
- brighter interior and exterior lighting (I noticed this)
- better throttle response for cars with electronic throttle control
- smoother idle (I felt this clearly)
- more power to ICE accessories (so I hear)
- no worries about puny factory grouds corroding/breaking

for $25 in materials, it's worth it even if only for looks....
I agree...

Circle gets the square.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:05 PM

ethan ftw
Old 04-09-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
omg lmfao

i didnt look at the date

somehow this thread was up here somehow and i posted thinking someone was asking a question that everyone has gone over...

but i think i lost track of my "search" windows and i guess i thought this window was the up to date one and i posted about it...

didnt mean to

and im trying to forget about this thread but everyone keeps posting on it

Somone probably voted in the poll and bumped it up. Not your fault.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 PM
is invisible

Better grounding has been shown to improve horsepower, torque, fuel mileage, and throttle response*. Improved grounding can also smooth a rough idle caused by electromagnetic interference as well as reduce light dimming when operating a high powered stereo system.
*Actual effectiveness varies by vehicle and driving style.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan..._Code=GRND-A33
Old 04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
kthxbye2u

let it DIE!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
let it DIE!!!!!!!!!!

Why the heck did you just bump this for? It was already 10 days ago.....
Old 04-19-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Law
Why the heck did you just bump this for? It was already 10 days ago.....
Originally Posted by Zargon
Somone probably voted in the poll and bumped it up. Not your fault.

Quick Reply: Do you realy think these "grounding kits" add Horse Power?