General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Are flip out TVs illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

Are flip out TVs illegal?

get this... my friend in a 4th gen got pulled over and gave a ticket for his tv... it was just on the cd mode... nothing was playing...
168$ ticket ... he tried to fight it and they said the law is the law and if its not factory its illegal.. can anyone shed some light on this? by the way im in knoxville TN
thanks
Old 12-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Common rule is that no monitor should be operable and in sight of the driver during forward operation except navigation systems ... I generally know it is risky and VERY distracting but I like to let the kids watch movies on road trips...
Old 12-01-2002, 12:29 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

to add on to wizzamax's post...

I'm not sure about texas laws but here in Cali you're allowed to have a tv screen. You can only play it when the car is in "park" or not moving. If you want to watch something while moving, the screen has to be mounted behind the driver's line of sight so only the passengers can view it.

The only way you can have the TV turned on and in front is when it is displaying ONLY informational data (like navigation).
Old 12-01-2002, 12:34 PM
Project Ruby......

Everything Wizza and nadir is correct as far as I know.

Off-topic now. I live in Maryville, does your friends 4th gen have a Nismo sticker across the front windshield, shaved rear, and a dual exhaust?
Old 12-01-2002, 12:39 PM

naa

Originally posted by 4DRSpeed
Everything Wizza and nadir is correct as far as I know.

Off-topic now. I live in Maryville, does your friends 4th gen have a Nismo sticker across the front windshield, shaved rear, and a dual exhaust?
he has 18' neeper naaz's
but ive seen that max around...
what do u drive?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:06 PM

Re: Are flip out TVs illegal?

Originally posted by 2k2PhatMax
get this... my friend in a 4th gen got pulled over and gave a ticket for his tv... it was just on the cd mode... nothing was playing...
168$ ticket ... he tried to fight it and they said the law is the law and if its not factory its illegal.. can anyone shed some light on this? by the way im in knoxville TN
thanks
why didnt he just flip it in as he was being pulled over??

Ant
Old 12-01-2002, 07:16 PM
Got Projectors?

Re: naa

he has 18' neeper naaz's
what do u drive?
I'm in Knoxville, I've seen both of those Max's around.

BTW - I was always under the impression that as long as a monitor was not displaying video that it was not illegal. Navigation systems are legal (those have monitors) and I know some car's stereos are operated through controls on the LCD monitor (for example the new 7 series.)

I would fight it.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:25 PM
wat

Last July I was pulled over by a Knoxville City policeman over on 40 when I was heading home. My DVD screen was open and I was playing music as well. He saw it, said it was cool and complimented me on my car, but did not do anything more than give me a speeding ticket. On top of that, he asked me how fast I was going and I told him the truth, 'about 90'. He said he got me going 88 but since I was honest with him, he cut it down to 76 in a 65. I guess the moral of the story is that if a cop wants to give you a hard time, he will give you a hard time. If he doesn't, then you are lucky.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s

I'm not sure about texas laws but here in Cali you're allowed to have a tv screen. You can only play it when the car is in "park" or not moving. If you want to watch something while moving, the screen has to be mounted behind the driver's line of sight so only the passengers can view it.

The only way you can have the TV turned on and in front is when it is displaying ONLY informational data (like navigation).
i got a question...im not trying to fight the law....but...if ur lost and u have ur navigation on and u keep taking ur eyes off the road to pay attention to where u are at on the navi screen, that can also distract you to some extent. u might be triyng to find ur spot on the nave screen or looking for a road or something.....im not saying watchign dvd's is a good idea but im just saying in general.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by hockeyghst

i got a question...im not trying to fight the law....but...if ur lost and u have ur navigation on and u keep taking ur eyes off the road to pay attention to where u are at on the navi screen, that can also distract you to some extent. u might be triyng to find ur spot on the nave screen or looking for a road or something.....im not saying watchign dvd's is a good idea but im just saying in general.
moral to story -- driving laws are bullsh1et !!!!
Old 12-01-2002, 10:35 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally posted by nadir_s

That is correct. If I use it as Navi, it's legal. If I take the Navi disc out, and use it as a single CD player... I can get a ticket....Here in Cali...
Old 12-01-2002, 10:48 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Well, too many cars now can come stock w/ navi screens in the front center dash. They can't do anything about it, if you do get distracted by it, that's your fault for any accidents or whatever that might happen. If you've used a navi system before, most of them have audio directions so it's not that common to get distracted that easily. I did have friend down south in san diego get distracted by the navi screen when he was lost. He was in a residential zone and was on the wrong side of the road (no markings) and the cop didn't care about him being distracted by him and gave him the "failure to maintain lane" citation.

Usually I heard cops ***** about aftermarket screens. I recently put up an LCD that faces the driver side and when discussing with a local cop about what i could do w/ it, he said that as long as it's not playing movies I am alright. I have a computer hooked up to that screen so most things displayed are "informational" so i can get away with it. Although, the one thing even the cop wasn't sure about was playing visualizations (winamp) when playing MP3s.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You need to research your state laws. Some states have specific provisions which allow the Navi screen as long as they are not operated for anything other than Navi or accessories control while the car is in motion. Some states, however, specifically state that a television receiver or similar is illegal forward of the front seats.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:55 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I do know that playing **** DVD's in a vehicle with any TV's is illegal... , at least in San Diego ....

" Public Indecency "...
Old 12-02-2002, 09:41 AM

Re: Re: naa

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

I'm in Knoxville, I've seen both of those Max's around.

BTW - I was always under the impression that as long as a monitor was not displaying video that it was not illegal. Navigation systems are legal (those have monitors) and I know some car's stereos are operated through controls on the LCD monitor (for example the new 7 series.)

I would fight it.
i drive a 2k2 maroon max ...u seen me?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:09 AM

Not a complete fix but a lot of navigation systems will refuse input if the car is moving. This at least prevents someone from trying to type information in while driving. Not perfect but I'm sure it prevents a lot of stupid accidents.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:10 AM
Project Ruby......

Re: naa

he has 18' neeper naaz's
what do u drive?
I just turned 16. I don't have a job or a car. I hope to get a Max soon though.

I've seen 2 Max's. A black one lowered, with aftermaket wheels, clear corners and such. And then that Nismo one. I think he works at that Car Wash/Gas Station place in front of Best Buy. I see his car there all the time.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Got Projectors?

Re: Re: Re: naa

i drive a 2k2 maroon max ...u seen me?
Hmmmm...none that come to mind. You ever around the UT campus or on the strip? That's usually only where I see cars here unless I'm driving home on the weekends or see cars on import night at Knoxville Dragway.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: naa

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

Hmmmm...none that come to mind. You ever around the UT campus or on the strip? That's usually only where I see cars here unless I'm driving home on the weekends or see cars on import night at Knoxville Dragway.
i was at the dragway in the summer but im in KY for college...
what do u drive?
Old 12-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Got Projectors?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: naa

i was at the dragway in the summer but im in KY for college...
what do u drive?
A black 2002 Infiniti I35 "Sport"

Something weird's going on...my sig isn't showing up...have they been turned off and I'm not aware of it?

In any case, you can see pics (or should hopefully still be able to) in my profile.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:06 PM
BearTrap

I dont have any advice to offer for the other states, but here in Mass, if you have a TV screen that is forward of the driver's seat, or "within clear view" of the driver, then you are liable to get nailed for it. It doesn't even have to be playing anything. If it is factory equipment such as a navigation unit, then it should have a shift lock, allowing a limited number of features to be available when in Drive. However, add-on Navigation units have no law or ordinance that would prohibit you from mounting it so that you can use it while the car is in motion...so long as it is not in the driver's line of vision (IE directly above the steering wheel).

Persons who have a DVD/TV type screen mounted in their dashboard should review their local statues before electing to watch a movie while driving.

-------------
Getting ready to buy a maxima...
Wife says it is time for the Corolla to go

I'm still stuck with a company car

Out here its God's country...so don't drive like hell through it!