General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question about shipping rims and tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 03:12 PM

Question about shipping rims and tires

everytime i see someone mention shipping on a set of rims and tires they are selling its between $100-$150. i went to get an estimate on shipping my rims and tires and the guy told me it was going to be about $82 per wheel. this was at a Parcel Plus. where can i go to get a ressonable price to ship these things?
Old 11-30-2002, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Question about shipping rims and tires

Originally posted by Newman
everytime i see someone mention shipping on a set of rims and tires they are selling its between $100-$150. i went to get an estimate on shipping my rims and tires and the guy told me it was going to be about $82 per wheel. this was at a Parcel Plus. where can i go to get a ressonable price to ship these things?
Fedex. They're almost always cheaper than UPS and PP.
-Cyrus
Old 12-01-2002, 01:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Question about shipping rims and tires

1800pickups

they will pick it up at your house.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:43 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Question about shipping rims and tires

Parcel plus type of places will package the items and make them shipping ready. They charge more than basic UPS/Fedex/USPS since their price include packaging material and labor of packing it. UPS/Fedex/USPS do not package for you. You can package the rims youself if you can get your hands on the proper packaging material. Basically, you need..

1. Several foam sheets to protect the face of the rim.
2. Cardboard circle cut outs in the size of the tire. Place these on top of the foam sheets and on the back side of the rim.
3. One fresh roll of duct tape. You use it to tape the whole thing together.

Here...I'll show you some pictures since I'm shipping some rims myself

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP01532.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP01533.JPG

Old 12-01-2002, 10:44 AM
SLOW

$82/wheel is a crock. I shipped a set of 17" Konig verdicts and kumho tires for $80 TOTAL. We're talking 45lbs a PIECE here. $82/wheel is outrageous. Go with UPS or FEDEX (I've never priced FEDEX but their service is great). USPS has failed me time and time again and I will never use them again. I wouldn't risk it with the USPS they suck.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
$82/wheel is a crock. I shipped a set of 17" Konig verdicts and kumho tires for $80 TOTAL. We're talking 45lbs a PIECE here. $82/wheel is outrageous. Go with UPS or FEDEX (I've never priced FEDEX but their service is great). USPS has failed me time and time again and I will never use them again. I wouldn't risk it with the USPS they suck.

I've shipped stock wheels without tires using usps and it only came to around $30. I actually have alot of bad experiences with ups. They deliver my stuff to wrong addresses, arriving late..etc. USPS has always been cheaper than UPS, at least in my experience.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:36 AM

Re: Re: Question about shipping rims and tires

tony,how much did it cost you per wheel to ship them like that? you use FedEx?

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Parcel plus type of places will package the items and make them shipping ready. They charge more than basic UPS/Fedex/USPS since their price include packaging material and labor of packing it. UPS/Fedex/USPS don't not package for you. You can package the rims youself if you can get your hands on the proper packaging material. Basically, you need..

1. Several foam sheets to protect the face of the rim.
2. Cardboard circle cut outs in the size of the tire. Place these on top of the foam sheets and on the back side of the rim.
3. One fresh roll of duct tape. You use these to tap the whole thing together.

Here...I'll show you some pictures since I'm shipping some rims myself

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP01532.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/1max2nv...e/DCP01533.JPG

Old 12-01-2002, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm shipping my 18x8 SSR GT1 with tires for $97.31 for all four. I'm shipping them via UPS ground.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Re: Re: Question about shipping rims and tires

The two rims/tires in my picture came out to be ~$37.50 total to Ohio with my own packaging via UPS. I have shipped 4 rims/tires to California with my own packaging for ~$120 via UPS. I have shipped rims/tires through packaging places ie. Parcel plus, Packaging store, Mail box etc. for as much as $160 to California and $130 to CT. Packaging materials are expensive if you don't have them laying aroud. Ever try to buy a box from Mail box etc, it like $15.

tony,how much did it cost you per wheel to ship them like that? you use FedEx?

Old 12-01-2002, 03:52 PM

ups is usually cheaper than fedex, but a little slower.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:30 AM

for me, lately everything has been a LOT cheaper using fedex, expecially bigger stuff.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have shipped out three sets of wheels once using UPS and the other times using fedex. Fedex is allot cheaper and they take greater care of the package. The cost of using fedex to ship a full set of mounted and balanced wheels was cheaper than sending a bare set of wheels via UPS. Fedex also arrived in three days as opposed to 5 days of UPS.