General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question: hybrid setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Sleeps with his maxima!

Question: hybrid setup

hey, I was wondering if you need to get a popcharger (like the jwt) to make a hybrid air intake? I have a PR CAI and want to try it out, but you cant just use the monster air filter to get the same results. right? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Master Will

hybrid is just a mixed up concept of an intake

example

Jim Wolf Filter and a place racing mid-pipe or frakencar mid-pipe

or Franken car midpipe and Stillen filter
or wepaon r or cattman...etc...if you mix and match parts to make an intake or you make one yourself as in homemade then it is "Hybrid"
Old 11-23-2002, 11:54 AM
Sleeps with his maxima!

ok. then can i just use my monster air filter that came with PR CAI?
Basically my question is are there any difference between an air filter like mine and a popcharger like jim wolf or stillen.
Thanks.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Since you have a CAI, you already have the mid-pipe. To convert to Hybrid, get rid of the long tube that curves and goes under the fender. You'll have to find a way to mount the CAI filter onto the MAF and that would complete the conversion.

If you do buy a JWT or Stillen intake, not only will you get the mount for the MAF, but you also get a bigger filter and a velocity stack.

DW
Old 11-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Sleeps with his maxima!

thank you guys
Old 11-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by sanjosemaxima
thank you guys
I did the same thing with my PRCAI....the monster flow filter will fit right on the maf adapter that connects the lower cai tube to it.

Aaron
Old 11-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

So you think that adding a shiny midpipe to a pop charger is going to dramatically increase performance over your cold air setup? It may add some noise and a slight increase in throttle response at best but dont expect more. Now many on the orgy have jumped on this bandwagon but nowhere else in import racing do you see people giving up their cold air intakes for any sort of pop charger( most of which already come with this hybrid midpipe).
But if you still think its better then by all means go for it

Old 11-23-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: Question: hybrid setup

hey, I was wondering if you need to get a popcharger (like the jwt) to make a hybrid air intake? I have a PR CAI and want to try it out, but you cant just use the monster air filter to get the same results. right? Thanks for the help.
I have been using the PRCAI with the Monster filter in hybrid mode for about 6 months now. I believe its better than with the extra length of pipe. Each to their own. Try it and compare. I do take the headlight out when I race and have moved the battery over to allow the air in through the headlight hole.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:07 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: Question: hybrid setup

Originally posted by Jime

I have been using the PRCAI with the Monster filter in hybrid mode for about 6 months now. I believe its better than with the extra length of pipe. Each to their own. Try it and compare. I do take the headlight out when I race and have moved the battery over to allow the air in through the headlight hole.
Besides....its way easier to get the filter off to clean it.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:21 PM
Master Will

Re: Re: Re: Question: hybrid setup

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

Besides....its way easier to get the filter off to clean it.

true and unlike other CAI setups Honda etc...if you want the PR CAI you have to cut a 3" hole in your fender unless you get the new Injen CAI and you do not have to cut in the fende..which stikes me to ask this question the long tubes on CAI's are supposed to draw in "colder" air but comparing the Ijnen CAI to the Place Racing to me the Place Rracing is a "true CAI" set-up since the air drawn in is outside of the engine bay area and the Injen intake the air is drawn in from around inside the engine bay like all other pop charger intakes.........hmmmmmm! anyone else!
Old 11-23-2002, 01:50 PM
Sleeps with his maxima!

this is great info, but is there any difference between the monster air filter and a popcharger?
Old 11-23-2002, 02:34 PM

I am in the same situation. I have a PRCAI on my car for almost a year now with the MonsterFlow. At the suggestion of some local members, I am going to give the hybrid setup a try. When I was at Stillen for "Nissan Day" I picked up a Stillen cone filter, but I need a 3" adapter to make it work, and a velocity stack wouldn't be a bad idea either.. where would the best place to get these be?
Old 11-23-2002, 02:37 PM
Langley AFB Sux

The hybrid vs cai crap has been hashed out a zillion times. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
Old 11-23-2002, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by hakk97se
I am in the same situation. I have a PRCAI on my car for almost a year now with the MonsterFlow. At the suggestion of some local members, I am going to give the hybrid setup a try. When I was at Stillen for "Nissan Day" I picked up a Stillen cone filter, but I need a 3" adapter to make it work, and a velocity stack wouldn't be a bad idea either.. where would the best place to get these be?
Why? Just take the cai pipe off and put the monster flow on the MAF, you don't need any adapter.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:30 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by Jime

Why? Just take the cai pipe off and put the monster flow on the MAF, you don't need any adapter.
Oh yeah.......you dont......thats what I did...I'm thinking of the adapter on the TB side of the maf.....

Long day.....a$$ clowns on swings lost a tool.....air force dont like lost tools.....
Old 11-23-2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by metallic97gxe
hybrid is just a mixed up concept of an intake

example

Jim Wolf Filter and a place racing mid-pipe or frakencar mid-pipe

that's my "hybrid" set up
Old 11-29-2002, 11:54 PM

I say just stick with the real cold air setup and get ur top end power from your y-pipe. Plus your getting cooler air.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by 99maximagxe
I say just stick with the real cold air setup and get ur top end power from your y-pipe. Plus your getting cooler air.
Do you really think that the air is that much cooler at high speeds? the main advantage of the CAI is the cooler air from lower speeds where heat soak affects under hood intakes. btw, I have a y-pipe and switched from CAI to "hybrid/stillen"
Old 12-01-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Nismo

Do you really think that the air is that much cooler at high speeds? the main advantage of the CAI is the cooler air from lower speeds where heat soak affects under hood intakes. btw, I have a y-pipe and switched from CAI to "hybrid/stillen"
Hey man.. Where did you get the 3" adaptor? Stillen? Cause I got the cone too that day and want to change my Place Racing CAI to that for a test, but I need the adaptor.. and maybe a velocity stack.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:34 PM

SI vs CAI debate continues.

However, we all know what the fast NA maximas have at the track now don't we!
Old 12-01-2002, 04:55 PM

this is great info, but is there any difference between the monster air filter and a popcharger?
popcharger has a velocity stack and adapter built into it. your monsterflow filter requires the use of an adapter to mate it to the MAF and does not have a velocity stack.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:58 PM

Just to clarify, only the Stillen Intake and the JWT Popcharger have the velocity stack. All the other POP style filters do not.

DW

Originally posted by Requin6

popcharger has a velocity stack and adapter built into it. your monsterflow filter requires the use of an adapter to mate it to the MAF and does not have a velocity stack.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:56 PM

Hey man.. Where did you get the 3" adaptor? Stillen? Cause I got the cone too that day and want to change my Place Racing CAI to that for a test, but I need the adaptor.. and maybe a velocity stack.
sup, I got a used stillen intake from a member here so now im using my new filters.

Old 12-02-2002, 12:35 AM

sup, I got a used stillen intake from a member here so now im using my new filters.

I know. I stood in line with Iilac to buy them. But you still need the 3" adapter (shown in your photo).. Where did you guys get em?
Old 12-02-2002, 12:42 AM

I know. I stood in line with Iilac to buy them. But you still need the 3" adapter (shown in your photo).. Where did you guys get em?
an org member sold me the stillen velocity stack from the FS forum. Iilac doesnt have the adapter yet since hes using his apexi filter. its not a 3" adapter you need (your CAI already has a 3" adapter) what you need is a Velocity stack from either a stillen or a Pop charger intake. I got mine used.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:45 PM

So you drove your car for a while without a velocity stack, and then later added it as your only change to your intake?? How much of a difference did you feel?? I'm guessig that low end may have improved, and not so much on the top end.

DW

an org member sold me the stillen velocity stack from the FS forum. Iilac doesnt have the adapter yet since hes using his apexi filter. its not a 3" adapter you need (your CAI already has a 3" adapter) what you need is a Velocity stack from either a stillen or a Pop charger intake. I got mine used.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
So you drove your car for a while without a velocity stack, and then later added it as your only change to your intake?? How much of a difference did you feel?? I'm guessig that low end may have improved, and not so much on the top end.

DW

when I switched to hybrid I had on a 3" MAF adapter with a K&N cone intake, I had a couple stillen filters I bought and later I bought the velocity stack that I have on now. I cant tell much difference really because I havent gone out testing it much to compare the 2 other than the intake sounds less "raspy" at WOT