General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

PLEASE help with tranny problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 09:40 AM

PLEASE help with tranny problem!

Hey guys, I am hoping there are some smart tranny guys out there reading this:

I have a 2k2 SE auto, 12,000 miles, and I have a transmission problem that is getting more and more irritating...

The dealer is playing dumb because up to this point the problem is generating no codes that an error has occurred. But it is getting worse and more frequent.

The problem is that when I shift from 1st gear to 2nd, sometimes the shifts are WAY too hard. They bang so hard and loud that you would think something hit the car underneath if you didn't already know it was the tranny. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but often enough to be really worrisome and frustrating on a 7 mo. old car!

Please, if there is any body else that has had a similar problem solved by the dealer, or may know what could be causing this, let me know. Its driving me crazy! And I can't get the dealer to fix it under warranty unless a code is generated or I can get it to duplicate with him in the car... Its not like I have time to drive there every time it is happening and hope he can 'hop in!'
Old 09-05-2002, 10:07 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I see in your sig you have a "GATED SHIFTER AUTO" What exactly is a gated shifter?

The shift firmness is controlled by a resistor. On the 4th gen cars it's located on the driver side fender, right next to or beside the air box.

Could your gated shifter be causing some issues with this resistor?
Old 09-05-2002, 11:34 AM

You may never get an ECU code; even if the tranny falls out of the car. The tranny computer may signal some problems with solenoids or other electrical components, but it won't tell you if you have some mechanical parts failing. For instance, it's not going to tell you if a tooth came off of the first gear drum.

You can do a lot of diagnosing on an A/T by reading the fluid line pressures on your transmission. There are 2 plugs on the transmission where you can screw a pressure guage into.

Tell the dealer to get off of their a$$, get the transmission repair manual out and fix the thing. If that doesn't work, contact the local factory rep and complain.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:14 PM

i think theres a tsb on this somewhere, i had the same problem in my 2k and they fixed it under warentie(damn i cant spell) the ploblem you mentioned was the same exact one i had plus it seems like it takes forever to shift out of first also huh? and then bam it hits second gear hard as all hell....
Old 10-05-2002, 02:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: PLEASE help with tranny problem!

Originally posted by Matthew
Hey guys, I am hoping there are some smart tranny guys out there reading this:

I have a 2k2 SE auto, 12,000 miles, and I have a transmission problem that is getting more and more irritating...

The dealer is playing dumb because up to this point the problem is generating no codes that an error has occurred. But it is getting worse and more frequent.

The problem is that when I shift from 1st gear to 2nd, sometimes the shifts are WAY too hard. They bang so hard and loud that you would think something hit the car underneath if you didn't already know it was the tranny. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but often enough to be really worrisome and frustrating on a 7 mo. old car!

Please, if there is any body else that has had a similar problem solved by the dealer, or may know what could be causing this, let me know. Its driving me crazy! And I can't get the dealer to fix it under warranty unless a code is generated or I can get it to duplicate with him in the car... Its not like I have time to drive there every time it is happening and hope he can 'hop in!'
Yeah, same car and year. Same problem but only when I shift gate it. If I leave it in 3 or 4 it won't do it through 1 & 2 gears Also the automatic has a speed limiter of 126 mph that the manual doesn't. I dont like how the tranny lugs around in 4th at low speeds and then shifts back to a lower gear when you step on it a little. Plan to trade for a 6 sp soon.