General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The funkus is amongus Nissan's curse

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 09:37 PM

The funkus is amongus Nissan's curse

Just did a search on a keyword of "odor" and confirmed what I suspected; the nasty-*** Curse of the Nissan Air Conditioner is still with us - and thriving.

I seen posts on the 4th AND 5th gen boards. If I would have searched on crap, ****, mildew, musty, puke, vomit, rotting 'effin cadaver - I'd have probably found many more threads...

Folks, we have an issue with Nissan here. They owe US.

I noticed this problem not too many years after I bought my new 87 SE way back when.

The A/C stunk so freakin' bad after a couple of years, that you had to ride with the windows down for awhile to clear the stench in the cabin. The passengers thought I stuffed dead Nissan mechanics behind the dash. Not guilty, but I was guilty of using reirculate on occasion.

Now my 99SE-L just hit 30K miles and the funk is coming on - stronger every day. And I almost NEVER run the ice, or in re-circ "Mode", and NO ONE smokes in the car or smears dogsh*t over the vents.

This is effin' ridiculous that a car with 30K has to smell like an outhouse when you run the ice.

I don't know WTF Nissan uses in the A/C vents, pipes, tubes, evaps or whatever, but my 60K '96 Cavalier doesn't stink, and the 70K '95 Bonneville before it didn't stink either. Only my 87 SE - and now my 99 SE.

It's time we start a phone campaign to Nissan, NTSB, whoever, to get them to recall and fix our cars. OK, so maybe not the 87's - but us folks with 4th and 5th gens, I mean c'mon Nissan! NEVER buying another Nissan again - leasing, that way when their A/C funk hits, it'll coincide with ditching the bastard.

Sorry for the rant, but I see from the posts that I am not alone here.

And like a lot of you, I take pride in my ride, and it's a friggin pity-shame that we have to be embarrased to haul passengers on warm days - a rolling locker room...

Help us all out by calling Nissan and start the *****ing!
Thanks, feel better now...
Old 07-31-2002, 10:57 PM

Umm...yeah alot of cars do this. Its mold growing on the AC parts inside the car after it gets all damp from the A/C. The solution is very easy. Get a can of lysol. Drop all your windows and sunroof. Turn the AC on "outside air". Turn the fan to "high". Empty the can thru the cowl intake (under the wipers). Get in the car and change the fan position settings thru all- defrost, high, low and bilevel. Next, take trip down interstate at high speed with heater on to help speed the smells like a hospital smell from vehicle. Problem solved.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:01 PM
VQ Wizard

Start using car covers to keep those cats from ****ing in your vents.

I do rememeber that smell with the '98 I had. A simple dose of lysol seemed to clear it up for awhile.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:29 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: The funkus is amongus Nissan's curse

incubus fan?
Old 08-01-2002, 03:53 AM
Former Sponsor

once you do that run the air without AC for 5 minutes or so before you park the car it'll dry out the vents and prevent condensation that will make the problem worse
Old 08-01-2002, 06:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Auto A/C Treatment

I've posted this so many times. Just about every car on the road winds up with mold growing in the evaporator. Even your home A/C if it's not maintained correctly can develop this problem. It's more prone to cars because of the location of the evaporator. It's also a very normal occurance.

To correct it you need a system such as this one to kill the mold spors and clean the evaporator.

http://www.keep-it-kool.com/treat/treatment.html

Clink on the "How and Why it Works" link to see why and how this happens to auto A/C systems.

It's an easy process, I've cleaned a few of my cars with a system very similar to this one. My 99 SE-L hasn't developed the problem yet, 50K miles on it and I use my A/C a lot.