General Maxima Accessories (All Generations) Parts and accessories relevant to all generations of Maximas.

Media Blasting and Shot Peening Services

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Media Blasting and Shot Peening Services

As some of you know, I have acquired a new toy, a media blasting cabinet. For those of you who dont know what they are, its simple. Its a large cabinet (duh), that uses compressed air and a suction-feed media gun to blast parts for a number of reasons. The main reason why I got this is because of two things:

1. Paint Stripping / Rust Stripping / Dirt and Grime Removal
2. Shot Peening

Have you ever painted something that now doesnt look so hot? I have. I can remove 5 coats of paint from anything from titanium to plastic. This is achieved by using different medias from softer media (polycarbonate, glassbead) to harder media (Aluminum Oxide, Silicon Carbinate, Ceramic).

And now for the shot-peening. This little exerpt will tell you mostly what it entails:

Shot peening is a cold working process in which small spherical media called shot bombard the surface of a part. During the shot peening process, each piece of shot that strikes the material acts as a tiny peening hammer, imparting to the surface a small indentation or dimple. To create the dimple, the surface of the material must yield in tension. Below the surface, the material tries to restore its original shape, thereby producing below the dimple, a hemisphere of cold-worked material highly stressed in compression.

Nearly all fatigue and stress corrosion failures originate at the surface of a part, but cracks will not initiate or propagate in a compressively stressed zone. Because the overlapping dimples from shot peening create a uniform layer of compressive stress at metal surfaces, shot peening provides considerable increases in part life. Compressive stresses are beneficial in increasing resistance to fatigue failures, corrosion fatigue, stress corrosion cracking, hydrogen assisted cracking, fretting, galling and erosion caused by cavitation. The maximum compressive residual stress produced just below the surface of a part by shot peening is at least as great as one-half the yield strength of the material being shot peened.
So with that being said, this is a great tool for the garage, not only in my automotive endevors, but in just about anything around the house.

I have done a few parts for Irish, for his GT6. Parts like that are very old, very rusty and very dirty. Now, they look brand-new.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=16

Keep in mind too, that if the metal looks pitted, it's because of the age of the metal, not the peeing. A brand new sheet of steel peened properly would require a magnifying glass to see the dimples. The metal will have more of a stain sheen, but will still shine.

And some of my other work,

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=11

Pricing will be on a sliding scale, based on how dirty it is, and how large it is. Per piece won't run more than $40 + Shipping, and that would be for shot-peeing wheels and other large items like that. Let me know what you have, and I will work with you. And any of you locals can feel free to shot me a PM to find a time to come down and check it out.

Brian,

Latham, NY (5 mi outside Albany)

Last edited by bwinter7; 04-16-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow.interesting....i ll keep this in mind.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 PM

Yeah, I realize its not going to be one of those things where my PM box will fill up every day, but if you need it, then it's a great service.

It seems like its one of those things that will be popular with people who understand shotpeening's advantages. Most people do not, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me or send me an email at

bwinter714@yahoo.com

-Brian
Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will keep you in mind. I noticed you said that you "acquired" the cabinet. But if you bought it then I hope your services pay it off for you. Nice results by the way.