Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.
View Poll Results: Longest SINGLE session of wrenching?
1-3 Hours: I wore my street clothes
4.17%
4-6 Hours: I got sweaty/dirty/bloody
16.67%
7-9 Hours: I broke things
9.38%
10+ Hours: I am obsessed
30.21%
2 days: FR33way's Mom....
39.58%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

What is the longest job you have taken on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 AM

New update...I just spent all of yesterday (8 or more hours) repairing the driverside of my rocker panels on my 240sx...going back today to START welding. I never knew metal fab. was so damn extensive. It'll be nice when it's done though.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:46 PM

spent 14+ hours installing rollbar in a friend's miata. It was supposed to be one of those bolt on roll bars, but nothing aligned properly so I had to fabricate a lot of things for it to fit snugly.

Then about 3days swapping an auto over to a manual trans for my car, but with frequent breaks. Thanks to DaveSZ and some fellow Chicago Maxima owners for helping.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:48 PM

Too many hours have been spent in the garage. I once spent 20 hours working on a car that was hit front and rear. By the time my buddy and I left the garage, the car was straight again and had fresh paint.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 PM

8 hours install for y pipe
2 minutes on b pipe
15 minutes on muffler....couldnt get it out. stupid me
8 hours 17 minutes on exhaust install

first time
Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 PM

2 transmission swaps on one honda in one night.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

25 hours NONSTOP for my VQ35 swap with vipervadim.

I challenge anyone to beat that.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM

Can't top you at all, but I've spent several weekends for the past few months trying to get an engine out and a new engine in on my cousin's toyota celica. I'm not the best with cars and the people that come to help just seem to mess things up so I have to go back and fix them. I get a lot of shocked "it's taking you that long?!" Maybe it's because I take a lot of time to make sure it's perfect?
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Two major projects come to mind...(maybe because I got screwed on both of them, so they are still fresh)

1.) Aftermarket warranty company. Saturn Vue with a Opel 3.0L engine comes in with a ticking noise....Told the company I thought it was a lifter, but wouldn't know until I dug into the engine....Adjuster came in and told me to tear the whole engine apart for a possible rod knock..Tore engine apart per the independent inspector (German engine FTL) took all measurements with plastigage...I plastigaged every rod and crank bearing then called the warranty company with the problem... It needed a lifter..Company paid me a total of 13 hours to do 30 hours of work.

2.)GM minivan has problem's shifting gears..4L65E trans...aftermarket warranty company sends inspector in and authorizes complete trans tear down....Tore down transmission, disassembled valve body, clutches, planetary gear set, etc.. Found a broken sun gear and three sets of clutches burnt...Three weeks after tear down we got authorized to do the repair, so I got to put together a transmission after sitting there for 3 weeks with every salesman and tech "checking out" the internals and moving parts around on the transmission table.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Sold

5 days trying to switch my motor mounts to the ES poly ones.
Saturday:
Started the removal, but couldn't finish because I didn't have the proper lentgh of extensions. Also, stripped the head of the front motor mount bolt. That was on there tight. Thankfully it was the front one and there is a nut on the other side. DOdged a bullet there didn't I?

Sunday:
Got some more extensions, a breaker bar, and then got the rear bolt out in like 15 minutes. Torched the rubber mounts ~2 hours and then ran the complete subframe/motor mounts to a shop to have them remove the rest of the metal that was still in the motor mounts....

Monday:
Phoned the shop and was told that they don't have the proper press/ dye ring to finish the job. Didn't even start it. Had to quickly phone around and find a place that would/could remove the old mounts...Found a place, but they were backed up and the work wouldn't be completed until tuesday.

Tuesday:
The new front engine mount bolt was to arrive by 10am at the local nissan dealership, but we got some heavy snow on monday night and the overnight stuff was delayed. They finally called to let me know that the part had arrived at 4:30. The parts counter closes at 5pm. That day was a write off. On a good note, the shop did finish the job and got the ES poly installed into the collars and I was good to pick them up at 10am. Could have finished the job right there, but Nissan didn't cooperate so oh well....

Wednesday:
Picked up the bolt and installed it that night. 2.5 hours later and I was done. Getting the transmission mount to line up with the motor mounts was difficult, but i did finally get it.

All told a 3 hour job (max) ended up taking about 6 hours of work (including all the running around) and 5 days of total time.
Learning experince that's for sure. apx $80 out of pocket for the shop to press out the old and press in the newer ES. Included $5 for the bolt that I rounded out.

And I'm wondering if I want to attempt the Lower Control Arms bushing set from Energy Suspension. Anyone have a good write up for that? Maybe when it warms up

Last edited by JSMax; 01-18-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:23 AM

fixed rear main seal

blew tranny not enough gear lube

clutch job /w new tranny

total of 3 tranny drops

probley 6-7 hours for the first time

3-4 hours the next two times it was a while ago so i dont really recall

00vi coming soon or just a flat out dek swap and emanage and ypipe
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 PM

Lets see.

H22 swap on my freinds eg6 ef civic. i got there at about 8am, by 11 we had the engine prepped and in, had to pull the engine due to clearence, so we pulled it out by 12, banged/cut away at the firewall and frame, put it back in, started putting everything else on, to find out that we accidently put on the wrong crank pulley, so we had to pull the engine again, put the right one on, put it back on, thought we could get away tried to put the belts on, didnt work, they had to be installed ont he engine before it went in, pulled the engine AGAIN put that on and that was the last time, i left his house at about 10pm but i had lunch in between, that was non stop though, we got it running, but one of the brackets for the shift cables we welded on a bit crooked so we had to cut it off and re-weld it back on.

On my maxima probably the tranny, the first big job i ever did on my own, first off it took me like 45 minuts to get the 36mm nut off, when all you have his hand tools, at the time didnt have air tools, it took awhile, got that off, then i couldnt get my starter out lol, after that i took it out, put a diff one in, took me like 20 minutes to get it aligned, using a floor jack FTL. Put it in, got everything bolted in, took it for tthe first drive and the tranny was done, had to pull it out, fought with the auto wreckors to get my money back, sent my original one in to get rebuilt, put the original rebuilt one back in with the fidanza and act clutch and that was that. the first day i took out the tranny, put in a diff one then took it out, that took me a good 6-7 hours lol.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

When I put the turbo on I started friday at 8pm, and cranked her up around 10 sunday night, and drove it to work monday morn.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 AM

A built, supercharged 3.5 in a 4th gen.

Took a few weeks....That's with only working on it at nights for like an 2-3 hours.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

I have a 91 Slyclone in the garage that has sat in a gazillion pieces for the past year. I have a vortech long block sitting on the foor, I just need to send it to the macine shop to have the turbo lower manifold modified.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:44 PM

Countless weekends of all-day garage sessions, usually spilling into midnight-ish before knocking off for the day. I've done lots of engine jobs on lots of different cars, and each one just seems to take a long time. One of the hardest was the '69 Corvette, where I put the car up on stands in the garage, took out the 4-speed trans, flywheel and all, and then did a complete ring job and new crankshaft with the engine block still in the car (why I did it that way I don't remember.) This was all with only hand tools and having to bench press the crank with one hand while putting in bolts with the other hand, bench pressing the trans, etc. The 240sx SR swap was also fun, since I had to modify a complete KA24DE harness to run the SR. Started and ran on the first try, though Now, I'm doing a rear axle change on my Y2K Max. Not too bad so far.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:57 PM

Just completed,

88 toyota 4x4

Project = replacing engine, installing a 4" lift kit, and locating all parts.

replaced 22re engine with one out of a 92. Every sensor and electrical plug had to be swapped because they are all different between the two years.(pita). Only thing the same was the head, block, and exhaust manifold.

4" IFS Lift kit used, Don't buy one of these used. Many parts were slightly bent so they needed some reshaping. The rear U-bolts were bent and thread was damaged. I sat there and cranked on the u=bolt nuts for a good 2 hrs to get them tightened.

All in all the job took about 28hrs (not counting locating parts) total work with hand tools, one jack, 2 jack stands and me alone.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
going on 11 years since this project started...

I was just about to say my project has been goin on for almost 2 years now.

But you do learn a lot
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM

Engine swap + rebuild
Old 04-01-2008, 10:39 PM

first 5 spd replace 2 weeks
Old 04-02-2008, 10:50 AM
wat

Originally Posted by sciff5
I was just about to say my project has been goin on for almost 2 years now.

But you do learn a lot
Yeah and fast! I love it when you hear people use the excuse that they wont be able to learn how to fix/build something but really its just the fact they are too lazy to even try.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:29 PM

The long job was doing the intake manifold gasket change in 93 Nissan Altima, what
pain!! Did a to write up:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...e-removal.html
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...e-removal.html

I plan to do another write up one for my brother in car, p0171 check the injectors, MAF, HO2 sensor
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 PM

2 days trying to install my coilovers. 1st day, started in the afternoon, then ran out of sunlight and started raining. 2nd day, still was raining, but lightly so i just went and got it over with. i could prob do it in under 4 hours now.

working on cars is the best way to burn time, but it bites you in the *** sometimes...

Last edited by G4nismo; 05-07-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 PM

6 hours to install my suspension, 3-4 hours for alternator. There's a first time for everything.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:48 AM

My first strut/spring install on the A32. Started at 11:00am, finished at 12:00pm. My next strut spring install went a little better on the S13. Started at 10:00am and finished at 4:00pm
Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 AM
brotherhood of tq

me and 4 friends worked for 26hrs striaght doing my 3.5 swap on my car non-stop ( aside from a 15-20min break for dinner.

started 4pm got done 6am the next morning.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by rxm6
My first strut/spring install on the A32. Started at 11:00am, finished at 12:00pm. My next strut spring install went a little better on the S13. Started at 10:00am and finished at 4:00pm
I'd say an hour long install for the A32 was pretty good! lol

Word to a fellow s13 owner
Old 07-14-2008, 07:46 AM

Definitely my BMW's clutch...that car is retarded. To remove the clutch, I had to take off the intake manifold to reach the starter which is a project in itself...to be able to even lift it out (and barely lift it out) you either had to remove the engine wiring harness or tilt the engine back (I obviously opted for the latter since I was removing the tranny anyway).

After all that mess, I removed the exhaust, sound deadening, driveshaft, and shifter. Then when I went to remove the final bolt on the housing, which is on the very top of the transmission in the firewall and I needed a 3 foot extension to reach, I found out that someone in the past stripped it.

All in all, i think the project took me about 12 hours of work time. However, the car was sitting for about 6 months...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by tavarish
25 hours NONSTOP for my VQ35 swap with vipervadim.

I challenge anyone to beat that.
I feel your pain Tavarish, but I think I gotcha beat. Used to work for a shop building Cobra kit car replicas among others. Our shop car was a Classic Roadsters kit with a Viper V10/T56 in it. Well someone got the bright idea to ditch the Fox body mustang suspension for a custom IRS setup and front setup right before a big show. Started thursday morning, finished friday afternoon. So 30+ hours of cutting all the old mounts off installing a 9" center section with IFS later, we were ready for Mopar Nats.

I have several projects spanning years.

My 600hp twin turbo Cummins powered 90 Dodge ram, going on 4 years, frame off resto.

My 73 Valiant is going over a year now.

My own 3.5L swap took over 3 months just because I rarely could get in more than an hour at a time. But I did get the 5spd swap done in 16 hours

Oh and my own cherokee is now axleless, fabing up a new 3 link long arm suspension for it now.

My name is Ian, and I... have automotive ADD.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I would say fr33ways mom but no, its been longer than 2 days. I have spent months, hell years putting together my current b13. I got the car in early 07 and its still not finished. Money pit + one thing after another = more tools

For a max I spent a week or so rebuilding my front suspension, ball joints, LCA bushings, wheel bearings, tie rods etc.....

It took me about 6-7 months to part out my 99 max, of course I didnt work on it everyday.