Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

What Specs Should Her Oil Filter Have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM

What Specs Should Her Oil Filter Have?

Hi guys. Haven't been here for a while. I'm here because just a few days ago I was trying to change the oil on my Fiances 2003 Maxima so I could prepare her for an application of Auto-RX. Unfortunately I couldn't do it because Hercules works at her dealership and tightened the hell out her oil pan bolt, but anyways. I went out to look for a good oil filter and it was the hardest time I've ever had finding a PROPER oil filter. Basically I found about 4 different sizes and all types of different designs when dealing with Anti Drain Back Valves and what not. Now I don't so much mind a bigger size as that just gives added capacity in my eyes BUT I do mind the design and specification. All of them had a different design.

Should I go with a WIX? How about OEM from the dealership? I may not even go ahead with the Auto RX but I'd like to know what to choose anyways just for future reference. I already read the thread that recommends what filter and oil to buy but it mentioned some engine code references that I'm not familiar with. Thanks for looking guys.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jibberish18
Hi guys. Haven't been here for a while. I'm here because just a few days ago I was trying to change the oil on my Fiances 2003 Maxima so I could prepare her for an application of Auto-RX. Unfortunately I couldn't do it because Hercules works at her dealership and tightened the hell out her oil pan bolt, but anyways. I went out to look for a good oil filter and it was the hardest time I've ever had finding a PROPER oil filter. Basically I found about 4 different sizes and all types of different designs when dealing with Anti Drain Back Valves and what not. Now I don't so much mind a bigger size as that just gives added capacity in my eyes BUT I do mind the design and specification. All of them had a different design.

Should I go with a WIX? How about OEM from the dealership? I may not even go ahead with the Auto RX but I'd like to know what to choose anyways just for future reference. I already read the thread that recommends what filter and oil to buy but it mentioned some engine code references that I'm not familiar with. Thanks for looking guys.

There are so many threads about this. First, read the Oil FAQ thread.

A] OEM is always safe.
B] I've used Mobil 1 M-110, M-108. No problems
C] Ive used Walmart Supertech and Bosch premium. no problems

The catalogs in the store have the filter numbers. The filter numbers are also here in the threads.

Forget Auto RX. waste of $$ imo.