Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Shop refilled with too much oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Shop refilled with too much oil

Got a question for you guys before I take my car back to the shop that did my oil change.

Went and got my oil change Saturday. Immediately I noticed the car was idling rougher, on accelleration I felt more than normal vibration through the steering wheel, and the car is louder than I'm used to.

I immediately pull off into a self wash station, wait a few minutes to let the oil drain down and check the oil level. Low and behold the oil level is way above the high(H) mark. Next day, Sunday, I check it again and it's still past the high mark.

My question is, can I partially drain some oil by loosening the drain plug? Or will the all the oil drain out if I loosen it? It's kinda bothering me.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:40 PM

TAKE IT BACK WHY SHOULD YOU DO SOMETHING YOU ALREADY PAID FOR...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:43 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Like I said, it's bothering me and I don't wanna drive it like this any more than I have to. I will take it back Monday but before I can even do that I have to take my girl around, drop my son off at the daycare, etc. If I can partially drain some oil out and fix the problem that would be great.

Originally Posted by 2theMaX05
TAKE IT BACK WHY SHOULD YOU DO SOMETHING YOU ALREADY PAID FOR...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Let them fix it i'd be pissed
Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 PM
MAXIN' ON

The plug would be a pain in the butt. I would just pull the filter.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by redls1
i AGREE WITH RED PULL THE FILTER ITS LESS MESSY AND ONLY A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF OIL COMES OUT IF THATS NOT ENOUGH DRAIN THE FILTER A BIT IT CONSUMES OIL ITSELF ,DEPENDIN HOW MUCH YOUR OVER.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I am pissed not to mention how much they charged me to use Royal Purple.

I normally take my car to the dealership with my own oil in hand. Dealership does the job and everything is smooth. But it's at least 40 minutes from me and this shop was closer. Mind you this is the same shop that did my axle and rear brakes and everthing's been good on that end. I'm sure you have good and bad mechanics in every shop though.

Originally Posted by Lovemycar
Let them fix it i'd be pissed
Old 09-14-2008, 05:59 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I have a feeling it's way over. Like they put 5 quarts instead of 4 1/4 that's recommened.

Heck, the way the engine is runnin' I wouldn't be suprised if he put 5 1/4.

Originally Posted by redls1
Old 09-14-2008, 06:13 PM

if you did it the filter route you would be emptying it half a cup at a time. might as well drain it all and only put the correct amount back in if you were going to do it yourself but if it were me i would make them do it.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:29 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Yeah, I'm going straight there in the AM; everyone else will have to wait. I just hope my spark plugs don't foul up.

Originally Posted by Feldman
if you did it the filter route you would be emptying it half a cup at a time. might as well drain it all and only put the correct amount back in if you were going to do it yourself but if it were me i would make them do it.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM

With my extra long Mobil1, M110 oil filter and 5 quarts of oil, the level is right at the full mark on the dip stick, if it's way past and you use the regular M108 filter, the stock OEM replacement, then you got more then an extra quart in your engine
Old 09-14-2008, 08:08 PM

how do you mess this up? isn't this like the first think you would learn if you were to become a mechanic?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 AM

I would definitly take it back to them just for the fact that if something is messed up, valves or rings you will have documentation that they over filled it and if it cause any damage to the car they are responsiable for it. If you drain it your self and then something happens you have no proof that they over filled it. It may be bothering you but the cover your butt take it back to them..
Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Took it back this morning and they agreed there was too much oil. They partially drained the oil and I notice MOST of the vibration has left. But I'm still noticing a little more vibration than I'm used to.

So I'm thinking either the oil level is still off or the spark plugs may be fouled up.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 AM

As long as you took it back to them thats good. If there is still something wrong tell them( Service Manager) and see if they will work something out. IE take it to the dealer and tell them the shop over filled the oil and the issue. I say this alot when I worked at dealers. The cars PCV's would be filled with oil and a couple of times the plugs were fouled. Alot of blow by..
Old 09-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Feldman
how do you mess this up? isn't this like the first think you would learn if you were to become a mechanic?
It happens because people don't think, they saw a 3.5L V6 and probably assumed since some other 3.5L V6 take 5.5-7 quarts they would be good, thats why everyone should know the basis stuff about their cars, and know and trust the private shop they take their car to
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Took it back this morning and they agreed there was too much oil. They partially drained the oil and I notice MOST of the vibration has left. But I'm still noticing a little more vibration than I'm used to.

So I'm thinking either the oil level is still off or the spark plugs may be fouled up.
Check your air filter, I've seen oil pour out of the air filter on start up when overfilled
Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 AM

how would oil get to the air filter. IDU
Old 09-16-2008, 01:00 PM
aka The Doom Ship

That's almost exactly what happened. They saw "VQ35" and assumed they all take the same amount of oil.

Here's the latest:

Took it back this morning because I was still getting unsual vibration while accellerating. This time the mechanic and myself took it for a test drive. He immediately felt what I was talking about. Took it back to the shop. This is where it gets interesting!:

He checks his ALLDATA info on my car and it indicates 4 1/2 quarts of oil WITH a filter change. That, of course is incorrect for 04 Maximas!

I promptly show him my owner's manual and it says 4 1/4 with filter change!

He looks puzzled and says, "your right". He completely drains the oil, replaces the filter and adds 4 1/4 quarts of Royal Purple 5W30. He also noticed the exhaust hanger for the y-pipe was bent which "could" have contributed to the vibration.

Got back on the road and vibration is gone. From now on, I take it to the dealership to change my fluids. I can't take another chance on someone else screwing up the tranny, coolant, power steering, etc, fluid.

Originally Posted by STARR
It happens because people don't think, they saw a 3.5L V6 and probably assumed since some other 3.5L V6 take 5.5-7 quarts they would be good, thats why everyone should know the basis stuff about their cars, and know and trust the private shop they take their car to
Old 09-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned

Why don't you just do it yourself? You may even enjoy it. Oils very easy and you wont have to rely on morons doing it and possibly wrecking your car. I'm sure there are guys at the dealership who will slightly overfill it too. I've seen it on my friends car and mine even before I did it myself. They like to get it right to the MAX line, but they tend to go over sometimes, if you actually check it. I think they just dial it into a gun or something.

The only way is to do the dipstick test right after. Do the COLD test at first. Drive it around the block, do the HOT test. Now I fill the car so it's in middle of the LOW & HI.

Another thing I'll add, check the tranny oil level too. Mine was overfilled also.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:16 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Nah, I doubt it. For one, I only have a 24 inch jack; getting under my car is a pain. 2. You want your car on a level surface when you refill the oil; once again I don't have a lift to do it. Bottom line is for me it's too inconvenient to do it in my garage. The dealership I go to does it right every time.

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
Why don't you just do it yourself? You may even enjoy it. Oils very easy and you wont have to rely on morons doing it and possibly wrecking your car. I'm sure there are guys at the dealership who will slightly overfill it too. I've seen it on my friends car and mine even before I did it myself. They like to get it right to the MAX line, but they tend to go over sometimes, if you actually check it. I think they just dial it into a gun or something.

The only way is to do the dipstick test right after. Do the COLD test at first. Drive it around the block, do the HOT test. Now I fill the car so it's in middle of the LOW & HI.

Another thing I'll add, check the tranny oil level too. Mine was overfilled also.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 PM

Hi:

I too would suggest you consider changing your own oil. I have done it since I bought my 95 new. I get a lot of satisfaction from doing the job and know I do it correct and neater than I could pay anyone to do. For example, there is some wiring wrapped with ribbed and split black plastic right underneath the oil filter that surely get's drenched when a shop does it. When I do it, I pull that wiring out of the way so it stays nice and clean. You also don't need a jack or car ramps. Simply turn the wheel way to the right before you shut off the engine, remove the black plastic panel behind the front, right wheel (two metal screws and two plastic screws) and you can easily access both the drain plug and filter. When I do the job, I know I'm getting a new drain plug gasket, the plug and filter don't get overtightened and stripped, and I'm using the correct amount of oil (Mobil 1 5-30 with Nissan OEM filter). Your dealer sounds like he does a good job, but just in case you want to give it a try, it is pretty straightforward.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:45 PM

I always change my own oil, I will never get my oil changed at oil change shops. You hear way too many horror stories about them.