Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

synthetic oil and filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sky jumper
regarding oil change intervals and warranty coverage -- I've heard a few stories of manufacturers denying warranty claims based on failure to follow maintenance schedule and/or lack of maintenance documentation (e.g. guy changes his own oil, can't prove he did it --> Nissan denies a subsequent warranty claim).

there's a thread in the 5th gen forum where a guy got screwed out of warranty coverage for this very reason. it appears his only option is to sue, which is not really worth it.

technically & legally, the OEMs may not be allowed to deny claims due to exceeding scheduled OCIs. but it looks like some are willing to bet that the customer will not sue if they do.

I have no reason to doubt Amsoil's warranty coverage, but I would not push it past the Nissan scheduled intervals with any other oil. the real bugger is how to prove you followed the maintenance schedule when doing it yourself.
I keep a personal log of all maintenance I perform on the cars. It's not a receipt, but the consistency/accuracy of good record keeping is certainly much stronger than trying to make an arguement without any supporting documentation. Based on my personal and professional experience, any sort of documentation is admissible and would be considered in an arbitration hearing/court action.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:08 AM

Also, keep all receipts.

I write the mileage and date on the receipts of when the oil was actually used.

Being truly ****, I also have a data base on an Excel spreadsheet for both my cars.

It identifies everything except the temperature and humidity of the date in question, lol!

Originally Posted by talkinghorse
I keep a personal log of all maintenance I perform on the cars. It's not a receipt, but the consistency/accuracy of good record keeping is certainly much stronger than trying to make an arguement without any supporting documentation. Based on my personal and professional experience, any sort of documentation is admissible and would be considered in an arbitration hearing/court action.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

I think it's wrong for Nissan to deny coverage soley based on lack of records. Because lack of records doesn't necessarily mean lack of car/maintanance. Now if you don't have records and your valvetrain looks all varnished up and sludgy, then yes, clearly the engine has not been maintaned properly.

But if the valvetrain is sparkling clean and the oil is in good shape, then it's hard to conclude that lack of maintanance was a cause of any said problems.

People can lie, but it's hard to cover up a varnished up, neglected motor.

Originally Posted by sky jumper
regarding oil change intervals and warranty coverage -- I've heard a few stories of manufacturers denying warranty claims based on failure to follow maintenance schedule and/or lack of maintenance documentation (e.g. guy changes his own oil, can't prove he did it --> Nissan denies a subsequent warranty claim).

there's a thread in the 5th gen forum where a guy got screwed out of warranty coverage for this very reason. it appears his only option is to sue, which is not really worth it.

technically & legally, the OEMs may not be allowed to deny claims due to exceeding scheduled OCIs. but it looks like some are willing to bet that the customer will not sue if they do.

I have no reason to doubt Amsoil's warranty coverage, but I would not push it past the Nissan scheduled intervals with any other oil. the real bugger is how to prove you followed the maintenance schedule when doing it yourself.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bobo
Being truly ****, I also have a data base on an Excel spreadsheet for both my cars.

It identifies everything except the temperature and humidity of the date in question, lol!
You too??? I thought I was the only one who did that! I keep a spiral notebook in the car and populate my spreadsheet accordingly. This is good information to have should you ever need it.

In addition to maintenance, I record all fuel consumption on a separate sheet and graph it...it's a great tool for analyzing trends...
Old 06-18-2007, 01:13 PM

What, no third tab for UOAs?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
What, no third tab for UOAs?
No, but I have those performed every year or so and keep them in a binder. The lab provides the history/performs trend analysis in the form of numbers and charts/graphs as part of the service ;-) I need to get a life!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by talkinghorse
No, but I have those performed every year or so and keep them in a binder. The lab provides the history/performs trend analysis in the form of numbers and charts/graphs as part of the service ;-) I need to get a life!
What do you mean get a life? Being **** is all about life, lol!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 PM

can you get mobil-1 oil filters online or anything equivalent?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:21 PM

Send a private message to Talkinghorse about his deal on buying Amsoil oil filters. They are reported to be as good or better than Mobil 1 filters.