Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Was it Matic D?

Old 08-07-2006, 11:56 PM

Was it Matic D?

So my girlfriend went to Nissan to get a T-Tec done. $149 freakin dollars. On her receipt it says that they used Dextron III fluid and not Matic D. Did they really use Dextron III or the computer system only show it as such and in reality it is Matic D? Because if they didn't use Matic D I'll be pissed.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Idea, call or go back and ask. It should have been D from dealer.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 PM

The capacity of the tranny is 10Q. If they used NissanMaticD fluid @$4.99/Q, it would come to $50.

Now, if they used regular DexronIII, you could get a cheap/bulk ATF for $1/Q and a good one upto $5.99 (Mobil1) which I doubt they would have used.

A good dino DexronIII would not cost more than $2.99/Q.

Somewhere the math does not add up!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

D-III is an acceptable substitute for Nissan Matic-D transmission requirements; brand X fluid will also be less expensive than Nissan-branded fluid. Unless you specifed Nissan-branded ATF or they advertised it, I really don't think there is much you can do about it.

You paid a lot for the tranny flush, but that's dealer service for you...there's probably an hour or more labor @ $65/$70 per hour built into the cost. And don't forget that the dealership is there for one reason only, and that is to make money for the owner. I live in San Antonio...Red McCombs and Tom Benson, owners of the Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints respectively, both got their start in the auto business and both own several dealerships in town. Ernesto Ancira also owns several dealerships in Texas and he is one of the most wealthy/successful hispanic businessmen in the nation. The bottom line is that they are definitely going to make money on you.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:02 AM

The capacity of the tranny is 10Q. If they used NissanMaticD fluid @$4.99/Q, it would come to $50.
More like $9.99 from this particular dealership. I'm calling them up tomorrow. If they did use DextronIII then we got jipped even more than we already should have. I could've went to Jiffy Lube, had them use regular DextronIII fluid and watched them do it right in front of me. All for $60 less.

Unless you specifed Nissan-branded ATF or they advertised it, I really don't think there is much you can do about it.
If it says Matic D in the owners manual and if it's specified in their computer system as Matic-D then that's what I want. I'll be looking into this tomorrow. If they end up telling me that they used $1 Dextron III fluid and they won't do anything about it, I may try to call up corporate. We'll see.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:25 AM
sky jumper

what dealership was it? what year car? how many miles? any previous tranny service?

fwiw, I would NEVER let a jiffy lube monkey work on my car. consider the extra $60 you paid as insurance against JL scewing up your car. it boggles my mind when I see new lexuses, beamers, and mercedes on the rack at JL. who in their right mind would pay >50k for a car and then let the hacks at JL work on it, put cheap oil in it, use the crappiest filters money can buy, etc. JL horror stories are endless.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Quote.

If it says Matic D in the owners manual and if it's specified in their computer system as Matic-D then that's what I want. I'll be looking into this tomorrow. If they end up telling me that they used $1 Dextron III fluid and they won't do anything about it, I may try to call up corporate. We'll see.
--------------------------------------------------------
BTW, the owners manual reads Nissan Matic D or Dexron III or equivalent.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:39 AM

BTW, the owners manual reads Nissan Matic D or Dexron III or equivalent.
That's so stupid. You have a more formulated to Nissans Spec fluid which is more expensive yet a Dealership can use one or the other or the other?

fwiw, I would NEVER let a jiffy lube monkey work on my car. consider the extra $60 you paid as insurance against JL scewing up your car. it boggles my mind when I see new lexuses, beamers, and mercedes on the rack at JL. who in their right mind would pay >50k for a car and then let the hacks at JL work on it, put cheap oil in it, use the crappiest filters money can buy, etc. JL horror stories are endless.
Trust me I know. Not all are horrible. Most, but not all. The ONLY reason I would take it their is because I could watch them like hawks, which I do! I also check all of their work afterwards (loose hoses and what not) I wouldn't mess around with her car. I take care of it better than mine. Honestly I would've taken it to my Ford dealership before that Nissan dealership if it required only Dextron III. It didn't even have to be Jiffy lube. I just hate going to that dealership. I'm sure the mechanics know what they're doing but I just can't trust that place. Call me ****. Maybe I'll just let it go since I know nothing good could come of this if the owners manual states Dextron III.

what dealership was it? what year car? how many miles? any previous tranny service?
Star Nissan on Touhy in Niles, Illinois. 32,000. 2003 GLE. No previous tranny service, major or minor.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jibberish18
Star Nissan on Touhy in Niles, Illinois. 32,000. 2003 GLE. No previous tranny service, major or minor.
In case you are in warranty, they ought to use MaticD, it is suggested to use DexronIII when MaticD is not available. How come MaticD fluid is not available in the dealership?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:47 AM
sky jumper

you could go back and demand matic D. honestly I think the DexIII might be a better fluid for you though. there's been more than a few UOAs done on Matic D with less than stellar results. Amsoil universal ATF is working well in my '99. others swear by Mobil1. but if you are in warranty maybe deamand the matic D.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by sky jumper
you could go back and demand matic D. honestly I think the DexIII might be a better fluid for you though. there's been more than a few UOAs done on Matic D with less than stellar results. Amsoil universal ATF is working well in my '99. others swear by Mobil1. but if you are in warranty maybe deamand the matic D.

UOAs on Mobil1/Amsoil syn may be good but $1 dino ATF might raise the PPM numbers to kill the tranny.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:33 AM

Bringing up an old thread of mine. I asked the tech at the Nissan Dealership if they really used Matic D on my girls car. His answer was yes but it was Matic D developed by Valvoline and not the Nissan brand and they did that to "pass the savings on to the customer", right. Not sure how that works. I think he said it just shows up as Dextron III on the receipt. He also said that you couldn't use regular old DextronIII on the tranny because it would kill the tranny. Not sure if this was a lie (I'd like to think it was) but apparently they added Dextron III to a few vehicles accidentally the vehicles transmissions seized half way through the lot. I'd like to think these vehicles were Maxima's he mentioned.

But apparently the girlies car has Matic D. It seems to be shifting fine. Was the tech talking out of his hiney? I still don't trust the dealership but that's just me.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:34 AM

Jibb: You are getting an awfull lot of BS from dealerships. DexronIII has been used by many in these forums and has not killed the tranny -- the trick is the OCI interval should be short (max 30K) since Nissan trannies chew up fluids, regular DexronIII starts of with ~7.5cSt when new and quickly goes to 4.5cST in the first 20K miles.

Any ATF be it syn/dino would kill the tranny on extended OCIs becoz the additive packages just get worn out, the viscosity is thin as the fluid shears and what not.

IMHO, Valvoline is a stupid ATF that covers almost all kind of specs under the sun. Let me give you an example how this marketing gimmick happens, now if DexronIII is at the low end of the ATF specs (0-4), MerconV in the mid to high end of the spec (3-7)with ATF4+ at the highest end of the specs (5-10). All that the manufactures of ATFs have to say is engineer a fluid at the range of 5, it meets all specs. MV ATFs (only recently have Amsoil and Mobil1 also joined the bandwagon) are good for lube shops who cannot stock up all the boutique fluids for every specific car. It is imperative that the dealership only carries Nissan ATFs and nothing else, if they do then they are cutting cornors, since they only service Nissans -- why have MV ATFs in the shop.

Anyway, I would suggest get a good flush done with Castrol/Chevron dino or Amsoil/Mobil1 syn before ~10K miles (when I used Valvoline DexronIII it was burnt in no more than 5K miles).
Old 10-16-2006, 03:13 PM

It is imperative that the dealership only carries Nissan ATFs and nothing else, if they do then they are cutting cornors, since they only service Nissans -- why have MV ATFs in the shop.
That's what I think.