Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Confused regarding what oil filter I should be using. (87 Maxima VG30E) Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Confused regarding what oil filter I should be using. (87 Maxima VG30E) Need Help.

I have been pondering upon this for long time now. I have K&N HP-2008 oil filter And I was wondering if I should be using something else? I looked at many: Purolator, WIX, Mobil 1, Ac delco, Denso NPN (OEM filter?),and others. Each one has their own drawbacks, what filtertation media is used, the anti-drain back valve, flow rates, etc. Since I'm still fairly new to the realm of cars, I'd like to know what you all would recommend, should I just get an OEM oil filter to put my mind at ease? I was hoping to give the engine a little more care, in knowing so, I bought a K&N oil filter based on the pretense that K&N has higher flow rates and burst psi so I thought it would work well, however now I'm not so sure.

Also, did Nissan switch oil filters for the VG30E's? or is it the same one of the same quality? Also, on partsamillion.com They have denso and NPN oil filters. Anyone have any experiences with them? And is NPN the OE manufacturer? I noticed Japanese lettering on the oil filter.

(NPN - PARTSAMILLION.COM)

(DENSO - PARTSAMILLION.COM)

So feel free to elaborate in detail so that I can have piece of mind and comfort in knowing that I did all I can, but right now, I'm confused. (I know I asked lots of questions, but please keep in my mind, I'm trying to make the best decisions.)

By the way, I'm an aggressive driver, and this is my only means of transportation.

Thank you!

- Best Regards,
- David Steele
- Take Care
Old 10-07-2005, 07:31 AM

K&N oil filters are fairly expensive, as are Mobil 1.

I would say go with OEM, WIX, Napa Gold or Purolator PureOne if they are available for your engine. With those choices you likely won't go wrong.

Just avoid Fram oil filters like the plague.