Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Best place to get Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:46 PM

Best place to get Amsoil?

I need some Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)
But everywhere online sells it through the amsoil site...
So same prices, is there a better (read cheaper) place to buy this stuff?
I want 10 or 15 quarts...
Or would I be best off searching around for the stuff locally?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:41 PM

You should see a message from talkinghorse here shortly to tell you about how he sells Amsoil products at a discount to users of this site.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:26 AM

Stick with dino transaxle GL-4 gear oil and replace it every 30K.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
Stick with dino transaxle GL-4 gear oil and replace it every 30K.
I emphatically disagree. The Redline I installed was GL-4 gear oil and also Synthetic. The difference in price with the dino is not that big. Go with synthetic.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:17 AM

The jury is out on using synthetic gear oil in manual transaxles. Check out bobistheoilguy.com if you don't believe me. I thought your area of expertise is gasoline.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:21 AM

I thought your area of expertise is gasoline.
Correct. But I worked for Amoco for 35 years and do know something about lubes too. I will check out the site you suggest.

I did and could only find what was described as "The Gear Oil Test" where they had added water to both dino and synthetic gear oil. Because I have no water (that I know about) in my transaxel, I'm not certain what this test is supposed to show.

Am I missing something?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:35 AM

I will check out BITOG. I am willing to spend a few bucks to get both more protection and longer drain intervals. Would I benifit from Lube Control in gear oil?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:36 AM

I've been wondering if the lighter weight (75) of the Amsoil may actually help out slightly terms of increased (probably one or two at most...maybe nothing measureable at all) HP to the wheels.

Thoughts?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MJaeger
I will check out BITOG. I am willing to spend a few bucks to get both more protection and longer drain intervals. Would I benifit from Lube Control in gear oil?
You may benefit from AutoRX in automatic transmissions, but I'm not sure about manual transaxles. I believe AutoRX is preferred over LC in trannies.

I am just running an AutoRX clean and rinse with my 95SE, before switching to Esso XD3, 0W30, PAO, full synthetic.

BITOG has an excellent search function. Go to both Additives and the Rear End, Trans etc. Forums and conduct the searches. It costs nothing to join and any member can search, unlike certain other websites, lol!

There is a current thread in the Additives forum concerning the use of AutoRX in automatic transmissions.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by darrinps
I've been wondering if the lighter weight (75) of the Amsoil may actually help out slightly terms of increased (probably one or two at most...maybe nothing measureable at all) HP to the wheels.

Thoughts?
Not likely!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:57 AM

The jury is out on using synthetic gear oil in manual transaxles. Check out bobistheoilguy.com if you don't believe me. I thought your area of expertise is gasoline.
Different brands of synchros react differently to oils, dino, blend, or synthetic. The argument against syn gear oil is that it may be too "slippery" for the synchros to match the gear's speeds. Some makes like some oils better than others, witness the Porsche guys with Swepco and the STi guys w/ Motul. In the case of Amsoil gear oil in our trannies, the report is that it doesn't really solve the notchiness, likely a cause of the "slipperiness." RL MT-90 did the trick for my lousy Nissan synchros, for the most part. I say for the most part because when the gear oil is not up to operating temperature and below freezing, it goes through a phase where the gear oil must be so slippery the only way I can shift smoothly is double clutching. I am debating trying a semi syn gear oil next time around, but it's tough enough finding GL-4 only gear oils. Who knows, maybe I'll be making my own blend.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:41 AM

Bobo,

Do the oil companies even make dino GL4 gear oil anymore? The only ones that I have seen at the auto parts stores are GL5.

MJaeger,

I believe that your cold weather performance will be better with a synthetic gear oil, whether its Redline MT90 or MTL, Amsoil MTGQT, or the Specialty Formulations MTL R or MTL P.

http://www.specialtyformulations.com/

I have had good luck with the old formula Amsoil 75w-90 GL4/GL5 in my 94 altima.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:54 AM

I had my transaxle gear oil replaced at Mr. Lube in February. They put Quaker State GL4, 75W90, dino gear oil in at less than the cost of an oil change. I had it done at 57K for the first time, but will be doing it every 30K henceforth. My car is just coming up to 60K, mostly highway miles.

It may have been placebo effect but I may have slightly smoother shifting. Our winters are quite mild on the Coast of BC and I have never experienced any notchy shifting.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MJaeger
I need some Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)
But everywhere online sells it through the amsoil site...
So same prices, is there a better (read cheaper) place to buy this stuff?
I want 10 or 15 quarts...
Or would I be best off searching around for the stuff locally?
I will sell it to you for dealer cost as stated in my ad in the Group Deals section. AMSOIL recently introduced a new GL-4 75w-90 gear oil and I have been selling a lot of it. People have been very favorably impressed with the performance of it. Pls shoot me a PM with the quantity you need and your zip code or state of residence (so I can calculate the tax) and I will respond with a quote. I have all products shipped to the customer from the nearest AMSOIL Product Center...this assures you of the freshest products, best selection, fast service and it essentially cuts shipping costs in half. I look forward to helping...
Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 PM

Sounds WONDERFUL!
So glad I asked!