Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

01 Max AE 5sp MTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:18 AM

01 Max AE 5sp MTF?

I recently (recommended 48K(Km) service) had the gear oil changed on my 01 5p and when I got the car back from the Nissan dealer, the shift action was rough, even more notchy than before, and like shifting through gravel...particularly in cold weather. I complained and was told the oil was a thicker grade than the original OEM that was in the car when I got it, and would gradually break down (my gears?!) and free up the shift action. After a month, there was no improvement...I complained again and insisted that the same grade as was used originally be put in. I was told it was more expensive and said "Fine, I don't want mediocre oil in my transmission." It was replaced with Nissan MTF HQ Multi 75W-85 (no service charge) and the action returned to normal. Apparently they used some garbage from a "big drum in the shop" for the first replacement.

Checking on Nissan Service Bulletins, I discovered NTB03-015 specifies that 75W-85 MUST be used for all warranty and customer pay work and is also recommended for customer pay use (i.e., you buy it to use yourself). So, this dealer is messing around with the service on my Max...I may make a complaint to Nissan.

In any case: if you get a gear oil change by a Nissan Dealer, caveat emptor.

Two questions:

1. Have I damaged my gears in the one month driving with this crud in my gear box?

2. The shifting has always been notchy and also hard to downshift into 1st: would a different gear oil rduce this problem?

Thanks,

Melchizedek
Old 03-01-2005, 11:26 AM

Does your car call for a GL4 or a GL5 gear oil? My 1995 specifies only GL4, which is harder to find?

How many kilometres have you driven in the month? Highway or city driving?

I take it you had the gear oil replaced as part of a bigger service required. I recently had the transaxle gear oil replaced at a Mr. Lube for Cdn$29.99 plus tax. They used Quaker State GL4 75W90. I was running the original gear oil with about 91,500 km on it. If anything, it now shifts slightly smoother, but it could be a placebo effect.

I have noticed that the stealership also puts in crappy oil out of a drum. When questioned, they told me it was some kind of Esso product but that was after a lot of humming and hawing. You shouldn't get the stealership to handle any of your lubrication requirements - that goes for flushing brakes, power steering and radiators as well - too expensive. I recently had a good experience with a brake flush at Minit-Tune and had no complaints with Mr. Lube.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:31 PM

I doubt you ruined anything in that short time. You may want to try Redline or Amsoil to help with the shifting issues.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:47 PM

Thanks!

I would say no more a a few hundred kilometers driven in the month, mostly city. I'm not sure if the requirement is for GL4 or GL5...the Nissan spec is Nissan MTF HQ Multi 75W-85. Is that GL4 or GL5?

I'll look into Redline/Amsoil.

Yes, the dealer is more expensive and after this I'll have no illusions that they provide anything better for the extra money!